Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Busting for an argument at work :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely you can just have a conversation asking if your interpretation of what the IT guy has done is correct? You see it as a downgrade with loss of functionality, what are you not seeing could be your opening gambit. If you haven’t already asked the question it seems a bit confrontational to just come out with “he’s fecked it up”. At least give the guy the chance to explain before launching into him.

Or have you already had the discussion and are pondering the next step?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Never overestimate the significance of having facts, logic and the truth on your side when in dispute with someone at work.
It generally comes down to who the company likes most/ fears least, with the narrative arranged around that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sometimes when you just know you are right and can prove it but another refuses to accept they are in the wrong.

I know this feeling, I have it every time I open my mouth.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really , so as a so called Power User, you would be happy if your firm replace MS word on you laptop with Notepad? After all they both allow you to write documents? Who needs paragraph formatting? inserting a picture - nah thats old hat..Or maybe you will sacrifice the Latest iPhone XI for a Nokia 3310? Both allow you to make phone calls and have a screen with graphics on them? You get my gist - im not talking about a minor removal of functionality here

Can you really name even a single downgrade in todays world you would consider as the right thing to do?

Oh for the simplicity of the IT amateur ! So there are plenty of reasons to downgrade an application but let's take your example of Word vs Notepad as a very basic one and link it to real life. So, you get Notepad for 'free' - well with the cost of a Windows license ( and the cost of a server connection license in the case of most businesses ). For Word you have to pay an Office license ( loads of variants and cost variables though ). The vendor, in this case Microsoft, could ( and often does ) change the licensing model and thus the best laid plans of the CTO and their budget can be blown out of the water - thus making Notepad the financially more viable product - even though you had Word before.

I run a number of projects where applications have been downgraded because vendors have changed their licensing model - some have been where the vendor provided a very small part of the overall solution but it still meant that financially, it was better to downgrade the whole system.

If I had a pound for every time some well-meaning non-IT person in a business suggested they knew better than the IT engineers, the IT Project Managers, the IT Developers, the Business Analysts and the CTO - over the 30+ years I've worked in the industry I'd be a very rich man.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The last people you need to alienate are those who deal with your IT needs.

I’ve built up a decent relationship with mine and nothing’s too much trouble for them. Couple of my colleagues have an entirely different relationship and get no support above the absolute minimum as a result.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
[QUOTE
Can you really name even a single downgrade in todays world you would consider as the right thing to do?[/QUOTE]

My ex to her younger sister?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
For more years than I care to remember I've had to engage with business stakeholders that are all too keen to demand a specific solution from the IT provider.

Keep it simple - business users should just articulate the requirements and the importance of the critical / specific ones and leave the [best] solution to the technical folk.
If the business requirements are now no longer provided in the [perceived] "downgraded" version you can complain that the solution does not meet your requirements.
Communication and detailed articulation will bring this to a conclusion far smarter than an argument ....

With the Word Vs Notepad example above - e.g. critical business need might be "I need automated page numbering" for a 50+ page document & headers and footers.
Word can do this, Notepad can't, so you have a requirement failure. IT please resolve ...
Remember, the pen is mightier than the sword!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here