Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] E scooter confiscated for tailgating cars and having no insurance

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
AN ELECTRIC scooter was seized by police after tailgating cars and overtaking them at more than 30mph.

PC Glen McArthur of the Sussex Roads Policing Unit stopped the vehicle today after spotting the behaviour in Chichester.

He shared images of the e-scooter on social media at 2pm today, with a removals lorry visible in the background waiting to take it away.

A caption accompanying the image read: “(I have) just stopped the rider of this overtaking cars at more than 30mph and tailgating. (It has been) seized for (having) no insurance.”
This comes the day after police forces across Sussex warned they would seize e-scooters seen on the county’s roads.

A statement from Horsham Police read: “Thinking about buying an e-scooter as a Christmas present?

READ MORE: Police warn they will seize illegal e-scooters if they are seen on the roads of Sussex
“Did you know they still remain illegal to use on public roads and can only be used on private land.

“Enjoy your shopping but remember they can be seized if seen ridden on the highway.”

E-scooters are also illegal on pavements and cycle lanes.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/188...Y4OPg0-tb4peIirYoLH8g_1XvKWP2XRsvUvZ0ME7JQKrI

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
That sounds a bit suped up than the usual 15mph top speed of most e-scooters and sounds like they deserved to have it taken away the idiots . Ride sensibly

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I certainly have had one pull away from me while I was driving at 30mph.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
They need to find a way for them to be used legally. Currently they are illegal on roads or pavements. I don't care which, but they need to get with technology & create / amend the law so people can use them lawfully

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Always see hipster morons flying around on these things either coming close to taking out pedestrians or being a danger to traffic. On the spot fine anyone seen using them if they're not legal, don't issue a warning saying they "can" be seized, say they "will" be seized.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
E scooter moron glides down our street every day , on the pavement. A danger to himself and pedestrians alike.
One day we nearly struck him with the car as we pulled onto the road. He appeared so quickly out of nowhere.
The law needs enforcing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
200_d.gif

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Always see hipster morons flying around on these things either coming close to taking out pedestrians or being a danger to traffic. On the spot fine anyone seen using them if they're not legal, don't issue a warning saying they "can" be seized, say they "will" be seized.

yep, immediate seizure and heavy fines for those selling higher powered ones will stop the silly stuff, while licencing them on road for sensible use.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Seriously? Did they really need that f***ing great tow truck to take it away? I'd love to have seen them connecting up the winch and them hauling it slowly up the ramp and on to the truck.

Why didn't they just fling it in the boot of the police car? :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
They need to find a way for them to be used legally. Currently they are illegal on roads or pavements. I don't care which, but they need to get with technology & create / amend the law so people can use them lawfully

perhaps then the cycle lanes around sussex might actually get used....:rolleyes:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The use of these electric scooters, skateboards and the like is becoming increasingly an issue in Brighton. Ive seen kids riding up the middle of the road, shooting along pavements and adults merrily on their way to work on scooters with headphones on and no head protection.

Over the past few weeks I have been involved in two narrow misses, one with a middle aged man overtaking parked cars on his electric skateboard and another where an idiot on a scooter drove straight out in front of me at high speed and I narrowly missed him.

I can't help feeling that there are going to be a lot of fatalities if it's not made much clearer where and how they are meant to be used.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
if it's not made much clearer where and how they are meant to be used.

What more clarity is required, other than on private land it is illegal to ride these vehicles on the road, pavement, cycle lanes in Brighton and Hove.
We are not part of the trial that is ongoing currently, which only applies in respect of hired escooters in certain towns and cities which have agreed to be part of the trial.

Therefore there should be a clampdown on th eillegal use of such vehicles locally to ensure that these criminals have their vehicles crushed and the menace is removed from our roads.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What more clarity is required, other than on private land it is illegal to ride these vehicles on the road, pavement, cycle lanes in Brighton and Hove.
We are not part of the trial that is ongoing currently, which only applies in respect of hired escooters in certain towns and cities which have agreed to be part of the trial.

Therefore there should be a clampdown on th eillegal use of such vehicles locally to ensure that these criminals have their vehicles crushed and the menace is removed from our roads.
:lolol: bad day, there are 1000’ s in London don’t seem to do any harm.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

Agreed. I would love to have one for nipping to the shops!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here