Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Minute's applause at all Premier League games next weekend in support of Virgil Van Dijk?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Following on from SkySports' sombre and touching day of tributes to the great man, it's to be hoped that all Premier League games this coming weekend will be preceded by a minutes applause for Virgil, who faces a possible five to eight months out with a knee injury.

The Liverpool Echo have just invited supporters to send their messages of support to the big number four (a tweet hastily deleted approximately two hours later when somebody finally recognised what a crushing embarrassment it was and how much ridicule they were getting). Instead they've now tweeted a message from Virgil, accompanied by some very sad backing music (not a joke).

I hope we can all join in paying our respects to the only footballer ever injured in on-field combat.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shit I read your post as serious for a second at a glance and was about to ask who’d hacked your account...

Am I allowed to clap from home - perhaps get the kids to bang the pots and pans outside the house again as they did for the NHS?

Feel sorry VVD’s name is caught up in this as he’s the best defender I’ve ever seen I think, and seems a decent guy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shit I read your post as serious for a second at a glance and was about to ask who’d hacked your account...

Am I allowed to clap from home - perhaps get the kids to bang the pots and pans outside the house again as they did for the NHS?

Feel sorry VVD’s name is caught up in this as he’s the best defender I’ve ever seen I think, and seems a decent guy.

Terrific defender, and I'm sure a good guy, but the fuss and total MOURNING around his injury- an occupational hazard, let us not forget- is nauseating.

I think it's Thursday evening for the front door pot-banging, if you want to join us all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously. Listen to the MUSIC. I've not seen anything like this since Princess Diana died.

[tweet]1318273713687678983[/tweet]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seriously. Listen to the MUSIC. I've not seen anything like this since Princess Diana died.

Goodbye VVD
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where Pickford’s foot did go.
You called out to our country
And you whispered to those in pain
Now you belong in the treatment room
And the stars spell out your name

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Terrific defender, and I'm sure a good guy, but the fuss and total MOURNING around his injury- an occupational hazard, let us not forget- is nauseating.

I think it's Thursday evening for the front door pot-banging, if you want to join us all.

Vomit inducing. There was a woman crying on five live last night

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I was fully expecting a voiceover:

"Every week, hundreds of professional footballers suffer injustices around the world. Virgil didn't choose this life, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. For just £10 a month you could help Virgil support his family to get through these difficult times."

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I assume there's a #Pray4Virgil hashtag doing the rounds?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair, their chances of retaining the title completely disappeared as Pickford clattered into him. Could be another 30 years.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Goodbye VVD
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where Pickford’s foot did go.
You called out to our country
And you whispered to those in pain
Now you belong in the treatment room
And the stars spell out your name

Very good
Are you Bernie in disguise?