Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Vpn & bbc

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Over the years I've tried many VPN's but all fall down on one major problem, the BBC.
'Keep your browsing' safe say all these companies, so I fall for their adverts and log in. My second go to page is bbc.co.uk but with a VPN, even using a UK connection, I always get sent to the international site bbc.com. I use firefox but find the same problem with Microsoft Edge.
Is it just me?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Over the years I've tried many VPN's but all fall down on one major problem, the BBC.
'Keep your browsing' safe say all these companies, so I fall for their adverts and log in. My second go to page is bbc.co.uk but with a VPN, even using a UK connection, I always get sent to the international site bbc.com. I use firefox but find the same problem with Microsoft Edge.
Is it just me?

No - I had the same issue a lot when travelling. BBC site apparently recognises overseas IP addresses and VPNs, so defaults to the international .com site. More info below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/questions/behind-the-scenes/website-domain-change

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/playback-issues/outside-uk-message

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Is it just me?

I get the same using Chrome

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think the only difference is the ads. I find the Ad Blocker works really well on bbc.com. I only enabled it after some of the ads made the site almost unusably slow.

However, if you want to use iPlayer it only works with certain VPNs.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I see this problem come up all the time and there's a reason, and easy fix.

Reason: most people use the default UK vpn IP addresses. Because of the amount of traffic on these IPs, they're quickly flagged by the BBC (and others), this is why you can't get through.

Fix: use a relatively unknown ip address with your vpn provider. The free vpn services likely won't offer them. I use Nord. The default IPs even with Nord get flagged. But you can search within the app for a more unique IP which gets me through 100% of the time.

If you use Nord, let me know and I'll happily walk you through the easy process.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I see this problem come up all the time and there's a reason, and easy fix.

Reason: most people use the default UK vpn IP addresses. Because of the amount of traffic on these IPs, they're quickly flagged by the BBC (and others), this is why you can't get through.

Fix: use a relatively unknown ip address with your vpn provider. The free vpn services likely won't offer them. I use Nord. The default IPs even with Nord get flagged. But you can search within the app for a more unique IP which gets me through 100% of the time.

If you use Nord, let me know and I'll happily walk you through the easy process.

I'll second Nord VPN. Connected through it ATM and get the UK BBC site. They change IP addresses quite regularly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I use Express VPN and it gets blocked by BBC, most others work, although Dazn also appears to block Express VPN now

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I use Express VPN and it gets blocked by BBC, most others work, although Dazn also appears to block Express VPN now

Just an FYI, your vpn provider doesn't get blocked, its purely the ip address you're using.
There will be many unique (or lesser used) ip addresses available to use via express.
You should be able to search using express for the entire list of ip addresses and find one that works.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can't really think of any reason to use a VPN if you are in the UK.

Many of the big content delivery networks 'know' of the IP blocks used by the VPN providers and will block them anyway. I had this problem when trying to watch Sky Sports abroad once.

Even paid for ones like NordVPN push 'security' as a reason why everyone should use one - but they got hacked themselves last year !

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/n...V6VmUAfsno8-YXvokJVLnYMSPTIPm0AdQM3k3cVmidlzS

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just an FYI, your vpn provider doesn't get blocked, its purely the ip address you're using.
There will be many unique (or lesser used) ip addresses available to use via express.
You should be able to search using express for the entire list of ip addresses and find one that works.

Thanks, I’ll check that out

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
UKexpatVPN guarantees that it works with iPlayer/ITV Hub/Channel 4/My5/BT Sport/ Amazon Prime. Been using it for 2 years now without problem.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm a teacher who would love to use the GCSE Bite-Size materials but I don't live in the UK. The text materials are all visible, but none of the videos.

Top-hole stuff, all my UK based colleagues tell me. And I can't get the best bits.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I used to swear by expressvpn ... But recently it's been abysmal.

Nord is number one. Nothing blocks Nord.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here