Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football better for the players with No fans in grounds?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Looking at the results this season, which we all probably agree have been bizarre, is there any advantage to playing at home or away with no fans?

I was listening to a podcast on European football and they interviewed players throughout the leagues and a few of them made the point that although they missed the passion of fans and the noise, they didn’t miss the negative side, fans getting at players, fans getting all nervous and panicky and booing the performances on the pitch.

Assuming we won’t get into grounds , certainly full grounds , for the possibly long term future, do you think the game and supporting your team will ever be the same again? Is this situation by accident rather than design, actually playing into the armchair fans argument?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
To me it still doesn't feel right. Just bizarre, much more goals, much more dubious decisions, the lack of atmosphere is definitely affecting players defenders especially don't seem to play with as much intensity. It will eventually go back to normal but it might be a while. For me the current football climate is a little bit depressing without fans you don't see much passion. This definitely highlights how poor the standards of officiating are in this country watching every game from home.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
Looking at the results this season, which we all probably agree have been bizarre, is there any advantage to playing at home or away with no fans?

I was listening to a podcast on European football and they interviewed players throughout the leagues and a few of them made the point that although they missed the passion of fans and the noise, they didn’t miss the negative side, fans getting at players, fans getting all nervous and panicky and booing the performances on the pitch.

Assuming we won’t get into grounds , certainly full grounds , for the possibly long term future, do you think the game and supporting your team will ever be the same again? Is this situation by accident rather than design, actually playing into the armchair fans argument?

It really depends on a number of factors. Some teams/players strive on having fans in the stadium to jeer them on, whereas some players who normally crack under pressure
might perform better.

I think for the majority of players they would prefer having fans in the stadium. Football doesn’t seem quite right since lockdown.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Its double edged, no moaning, more freedom in theory. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mac that his equaliser and first Premier goal was unheralded. he naturally ran over to where fans should have been.He should have been right over in front of wild, joyous fans.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fans and players patently feed off each other. In the absence of fans, must be difficult for players to maintain that fully focused buzz over a full 90 minutes. Must instinctively feel more like a training game for many of them

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Top players are able to perform under pressure, remove the pressure and average players will play better

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, look at the scores and the table

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To me it still doesn't feel right. Just bizarre, much more goals, much more dubious decisions, the lack of atmosphere is definitely affecting players defenders especially don't seem to play with as much intensity. It will eventually go back to normal but it might be a while. For me the current football climate is a little bit depressing without fans you don't see much passion. This definitely highlights how poor the standards of officiating are in this country watching every game from home.

Completely agree with this. Lots of games feel like they are pre season friendlies, with goals all over the place. I put some of this down to the fact the pre season was shortened but now I think it is because it's early season and relegation is not looming for some and therefore they are playing with a pre season friendly freedom. Maybe once we get beyond 10 games and teams are in the deep stuff this will change and more will adopt the dire approach Palace took?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Its double edged, no moaning, more freedom in theory. I actually feel a bit sorry for Mac that his equaliser and first Premier goal was unheralded. he naturally ran over to where fans should have been.He should have been right over in front of wild, joyous fans.

Yes although, he ran to the wrong corner if he was looking to celebrate in front of the away support. Maybe he was just trying to wind up the home fans?!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fans and players patently feed off each other. In the absence of fans, must be difficult for players to maintain that fully focused buzz over a full 90 minutes. Must instinctively feel more like a training game for many of them

With no fans egging you on, you can be 3-0 up with 8mins to go, start thinking about which film and takeaway you're going to get in later that evening, is the missus going to be in the mood, will the dog need a walk, because the game and result is done and dusted.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
With no fans egging you on, you can be 3-0 up with 8mins to go, start thinking about which film and takeaway you're going to get in later that evening, is the missus going to be in the mood, will the dog need a walk, because the game and result is done and dusted.

A bit like Tottenham yesterday

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I haven't read the thread so apologies if this has been covered but they had a conversation about it on NBC (or was it Peacock? I forget).

They were in the mind that goalies and defenders switch off a bit or don't "keep it simple" without a crowd behind them giving them stick. Leading to more mistakes.

They also felt that forward players are more likely to try things they wouldn't normally. Skills or whatever. Because when they fail, again, no fans to tell them they are w@nkers etc.

I think it was Tim Howard (ex players) who were talking about it, how the crowd affects you.
(If I got that wrong I apologise - watched a LOT of football this weekend)

I think the more interesting question is how are some teams, like ours (lots of young players coming through right now with no crowds), going to be affected by the return of crowds?

I think one of the positives of Cochrane going to Belgium is he has a crowd at his games (socially distanced - but rowdy / loud enough).

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
One thing this had proven is how much fans can influence results.

It works both ways. It can make players perform better, or worse, depending on what type of atmosphere they are subjected to.

It would also go some way to explaining why our home form is frequently so poor, as the Amex becomes hostile towards our own players when things aren't going well.

With no fans, it is speculated that players are playing with reduced pressure obviously, but also defenders can become complacent as they do not have the same levels of concentration they have with fans in the ground.

It is interesting and hopefully food for thought for our management team. For a club working on marginal gains and trying to be that little bit smarter than other clubs you wonder if they could find a way to engender a better atmosphere at the Amex and whether the result would be more points? Singing sections, drums :facepalm: or other methods (Free Beer? :D)

The data being collected now might give them the possibility to if not fully quantify the 'value' of atmosphere perhaps gain some serious indicators on what it might be worth or not to a team over a season? What's a point worth these days? What could we do to gain more home points without spending money on the team itself?

Maybe there will be a market for superfans soon? :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

well he ran to the wrong corner, but he wasn't to know that..

But agreed that would have been a special moment that would have lived long in the memory.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’m not sure it’s better all round per se but it will certainly be doing some players mental health all manner of good not to be slagged off...

What might be interesting as grounds open up on reduced capacities would be to perhaps trial certain initiatives that you couldn’t otherwise do in full stadia such as general admission tickets for stands and therefore perhaps enabling like minded people - singers, the silent and clap only brigade, or the moaners to congregate together on the understanding that to get their spaces together but socially distanced would mean going to the ground early? You could block off the seats not to be used and let people crack on?

I’d certainly be trying to force a change in legislation to allow alcohol to be consumed at the seat because it’s safer for social distancing purposes on concourses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here