Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Union is more united today the British one or the European one?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Remoaners keep telling me Britain has already become an irrelevance (obviously angry because our membership of the EU has ended).
If the Jocks eventually decide for themselves to be an independent country and our Union becomes smaller, can we become an irrelevance twice?

Says the person who has proven you can be irrelevant repeatedly :lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Remoaners keep telling me Britain has already become an irrelevance (obviously angry because our membership of the EU has ended).
If the Jocks eventually decide for themselves to be an independent country and our Union becomes smaller, can we become an irrelevance twice?

Dunno Pasta, but we will be more relevant as the UK than Little England.

What I do know is with our new found status if you're in Tokyo or Bejing and you want to talk to Europe you're more likely to pick up the phone to Berlin or Paris than London

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I wish I could find the post on NSC just after the Brexit vote where I predicted what the future might have in store I recall the break up of the U.K. Was high on my list while the EU would pull ever tighter together

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I wish I could find the post on NSC just after the Brexit vote where I predicted what the future might have in store I recall the break up of the U.K. Was high on my list while the EU would pull ever tighter together

A lot of people say the integrity of the UK wasn't discussed during the EU referendum campaign, it most certainly was. The problem is a lot of people weren't listening or got groomed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-it-break-scottish-independence-a7071481.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-raises-risk-scotland-leaving-uk-after-brexit

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Dunno Pasta, but we will be more relevant as the UK than Little England.

What I do know is with our new found status if you're in Tokyo or Bejing and you want to talk to Europe you're more likely to pick up the phone to Berlin or Paris than London

I did suspect you didn’t know, thanks for the confirmation.
The Welsh and Northern Irish leaving our union as well as the jocks are they and making it just England left?
When is this all happening?
Enjoy your little fantasy world

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You'll tell me if I'm wrong but this looks like a straw man argument. I have never heard people saying that Britain will become 'an irrevelance', so who are these many Remoaners (hilarious!) who keep telling you this?

I have certainly heard the argument that UK will lose influence (often in connection with a Biden presidency) but become irrelevant, of no consequence, no.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
A lot of people say the integrity of the UK wasn't discussed during the EU referendum campaign, it most certainly was. The problem is a lot of people weren't listening or got groomed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-it-break-scottish-independence-a7071481.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-raises-risk-scotland-leaving-uk-after-brexit

its logical really, Brexit is a right wing proposition and Scots will push against that. A Scotland / EU tie up has alot of synergy, giving the EU a foothold in UK again and making England weaker

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You are, indeed.

Just because a few on the extreme left may have supported Brexit, and a large number of non right-wingers were naively taken in by the leave campaign, it doesn't change the fact that it was proposed, funded, backed, managed and implemented by the right wing of the Tory party, the ERG, and the right wing party UKIP. It's the reason why so many moderate, traditional conservatives have left the Government benches and/or the Party.

It was (and is) very much a right wing proposition :shrug:

And, before you make your normal accusations of 'left wingers' etc, I say this as someone who has voted Conservative (as I have all the major parties) over the years.

Last edited:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
You are, indeed.

Just because a few on the extreme left may have supported Brexit, and a large number of non right-wingers were naively taken in by the leave campaign, it doesn't change the fact that it was proposed, backed, managed and implemented by the right wing of the Tory party, the ERG, and the right wing party UKIP.

It was (and is) very much a right wing proposition :shrug:

And, before you make your normal accusations of 'left wingers' etc, I say this as someone who has voted Conservative (as I have all the major parties) over the years.

Fair enough, it was put forward by the right but as you point out it is not a right wing idea

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I did suspect you didn’t know, thanks for the confirmation.
The Welsh and Northern Irish leaving our union as well as the jocks are they and making it just England left?
When is this all happening?
Enjoy your little fantasy world

You use the world “fantasy” implying the destruction of our Union is something I want, as a British patriot nothing could be further from truth.

The reality is we have a Vote Leave government that could only deliver their version of Brexit with a customs border in the Irish sea with potentially very serious ramifications for Northern Ireland. We also have Scottish elections next May which is likely to bring an SNP landslide on an independence ticket

Covid, Hard Brexit and the most incompetent government in 40 years that isn’t representing the whole of UK , its not a good combination.

The Union is entering its biggest crisis in 300 years and I'm not sure if there is a way out

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
its logical really, Brexit is a right wing proposition and Scots will push against that. A Scotland / EU tie up has alot of synergy, giving the EU a foothold in UK again and making England weaker

Full membership of the EU would be challenging, the large deficit and the currency question but when nationalism hold the detail gets swept under the carpet. Maybe a EFTA style membership to start...

The Tories used the EU membership card to keep Scotland in the Union in 2014. The betrayal that followed will be milked to the max by the SNP

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Full membership of the EU would be challenging, the large deficit and the currency question but when nationalism hold the detail gets swept under the carpet. Maybe a EFTA style membership to start...

The Tories used the EU membership card to keep Scotland in the Union in 2014. The betrayal that followed will be milked to the max by the SNP

Well, Nissan could pick their factory up in Sunderland and move it up across the border

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Really clumsy language from Johnson regarding devolution to Scotland, he is a complete liability. For Nicola Sturgeon Christmas really has come early...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Saying an Election prayer for the future of the UK on election eve

If Sturgeon gets a majority I think from there its only a question of IF not WHEN

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The elections just demonstrated how Johnson is no longer the PM of the UK, he just plays to his English base.

Of course Trump does this in the US, but he doesn't have the prospect of New York or California going their own way.

We need a federal Britain, not a feral one..

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The elections just demonstrated how Johnson is no longer the PM of the UK, he just plays to his English base.

Of course Trump does this in the US, but he doesn't have the prospect of New York or California going their own way.

All in all,do you believe Princess Tony’s dream for devolution is going well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

serious question then, what are the technical and practical differences between a federal system and the current devolved powers? on the surface they look alike, so what should change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here