Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] MacBook Pro login items issue - can anyone shed any light on this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a MacBook Pro, with Catalina 10.15.7 installed. I also have Microsoft Teams installed. I want Teams to fire up when I log on so I added it to the list in my login items. Whilst Teams starts up, as expected, when I next login it then disappears from the list i.e. it doesn’t start up upon further logins. By comparison Outlook is fine.

Google suggests this has been an issue for a long time, and I have tried a few of the fixes suggested online, sadly to no avail.

Any boffins out there who can help me?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
PS you will be able to infer from my initial post that I have indeed turned off the computer and turned it back on again.....numerous times.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a MacBook Pro, with Catalina 10.15.7 installed. I also have Microsoft Teams installed. I want Teams to fire up when I log on so I added it to the list in my login items. Whilst Teams starts up, as expected, when I next login it then disappears from the list i.e. it doesn’t start up upon further logins. By comparison Outlook is fine.

Google suggests this has been an issue for a long time, and I have tried a few of the fixes suggested online, sadly to no avail.

Any boffins out there who can help me?

Have you tried deleting it from your login Items list then re-adding it?

Also, is the 'hide' box checked? If it is, is the application running, but the OS has hidden it to the background?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
PS you will be able to infer from my initial post that I have indeed turned off the computer and turned it back on again.....numerous times.

Joking aside, most advice is to not shut down your Mac unless you really need to, put it to sleep instead. During sleep phases over night it will perform maintenance tasks. Therefore you wouldn't have the login issue as much, although clearly that isn't a solution to your issue.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I have no suggestions, but i've used Teams on my mac and it's been problematic as hell..so I guess you're not alone!

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Unfortunately I cannot help from a technical POV but I can tell you that for work (we are a Mac shop and I have them at home as well) Teams (aka Skype for Business) we have found out to our cost, is not stable on OS, whereas the other O365 parts are ok. Teams was so bad we moved to Zoom. And I back up [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], sleep not restart, unless its absolutely required (frozen apps etc.)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately I cannot help from a technical POV but I can tell you that for work (we are a Mac shop and I have them at home as well) Teams (aka Skype for Business) we have found out to our cost, is not stable on OS, whereas the other O365 parts are ok. Teams was so bad we moved to Zoom. And I back up [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], sleep not restart, unless its absolutely required (frozen apps etc.)

I couldn’t hear audio through a teams meeting on MacOS the other day so had to use it on my phone which was fine. I typically backup by a) cloning the entire HD, b) have Time Machine running to a separate disk, c) all files to a cloud backup. Really should think about a redundancy backup for the clone, but haven’t got round to it yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you tried deleting it from your login Items list then re-adding it?

Also, is the 'hide' box checked? If it is, is the application running, but the OS has hidden it to the background?

Yes, I have done this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Joking aside, most advice is to not shut down your Mac unless you really need to, put it to sleep instead. During sleep phases over night it will perform maintenance tasks. Therefore you wouldn't have the login issue as much, although clearly that isn't a solution to your issue.

I guess putting my laptop to sleep, as opposed to shutting down, is a partial solution/work around. It means I only have to remember to manually open Teams when I shut down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here