Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cheating...we simply have to improve

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Cheats prosper in football as we all know.

Would like to see the club now fine players who don’t try to hook the ball against an opponents arm when in a harmless part of the penalty box; or go down under any near contact. As well as actual contact. Should be drilled into players during training sessions. Before anyone says, but what about VAR...have you NOT been watching?! It makes no difference, the goons in charge still don’t notice.

Also, we need to do far more time wasting, getting in the refs face, manhandling them even, abusing other players to wind them up, take a throw in forty yards further up the line, don’t give the ball back or kick it out if someone’s down etc. It might be against the general spirit of the game but feck it, football lost its integrity a long time ago so we must become more savvy. Cheat in other words.

Thoughts? I would simply love us to be universally loathed because of our “gamesmanship”, it’s something we simply have to improve at and should be coached.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Rather not thanks. I'll take the consequences of playing entertaining, decent football rather than watch us dive our way to PL survival.

It’s not all about diving though is it? So many other ways you can cheat that reap rewards. Flicking the ball up to touch an opponents hand in the penalty box or aiming the ball at their hand even if they’re not blocking the goal. Simulate fouls that haven’t happened etc. I’d definitely like to see our players surround the ref and jostle / try to intimidate. Works for others. Why not give it a go? Probably good for six points a season. If we’re to take advantage of the dickheads officiating games these days, we need to improve our cheating.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No thanks. A talented Leeds team in the 70s ruined their reputation going down that route.

Ah, but they were successful so point proven I guess.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Connolly gets in front of defenders so that there's contact several times a game and VAR doesn't give him penalties.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Connolly gets in front of defenders so that there's contact several times a game and VAR doesn't give him penalties.

Unfortunately I think he's earning a rep for going down a bit too easy, and I have to say, its not entirely unjustified. He has to remember though, he's not playing for Man U, he's just not going to get those decisions. Quite the reverse in fact, when you look back at what happened when Pogba bundled him over in the box.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Unfortunately I think he's earning a rep for going down a bit too easy, and I have to say, its not entirely unjustified. He has to remember though, he's not playing for Man U, he's just not going to get those decisions. Quite the reverse in fact, when you look back at what happened when Pogba bundled him over in the box.

Something similar happened when MotD highlighted Muzza's ability to 'win' free kicks. Referees suddenly noticed what we all knew and stopped giving the fouls.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Something similar happened when MotD highlighted Muzza's ability to 'win' free kicks. Referees suddenly noticed what we all knew and stopped giving the fouls.

I think Murray just got older actually. Faded in his ability to, as we all do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Yup, and Ashley Young for a spell. Refs get briefed, you become a 'marked man' for refs to expect it, till it gets to the point where you'd have to be mowed down by a combine harvester to get a decision. The SEGW has had an element of this too, often to comical effect and some lump-in-the-throat watery-eyed post match interviews. But its all of his own making.

Don't become that, Aaron.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What I find depressing about the endemic cheating is the way the commentators have normalised it. " He made the most of that" and "there was some contact but he went down easy" is shying away from the fact strikers are cheating.

There's a reason why there hasn't been a goalless draw in the Prem yet. It's because - in part - defenders are getting shafted. Attackers are no longer getting carded for simulation either.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"He's forced the referee into making a decision there"

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be the f*cking WRONG one, does it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What I find depressing about the endemic cheating is the way the commentators have normalised it. " He made the most of that" and "there was some contact but he went down easy" is shying away from the fact strikers are cheating.

There's a reason why there hasn't been a goalless draw in the Prem yet. It's because - in part - defenders are getting shafted. Attackers are no longer getting carded for simulation either.

Exactly this! Which is why we mustn’t get left behind and so need to up our cheating. Football is a farce. Believing it will ever not be again is just wishful thinking. Cheats prosper. If we want to prosper, then we must cheat.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sad to say , but if we don't use opponents tactics against them we will get left behind.
Will be a sorry day, but seems inevitable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here