Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Buying a new car

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Or more specifically, two new cars. I’m due to change both my wife’s car and my own early next year, but for the first time I’m really scratching my head as to what to go for.

Currently, I have a 3.0 diesel Jaguar F-Pace and my wife has a petrol Corsa. When I bought my last car, I swore I wouldn’t have another diesel but the deal was so attractive I couldn’t resist. However, if 2020 has taught me anything it’s that the world is a better place when it’s not completely fúcked and so concern for the environment has probably reached a turning point in my mind.

The trouble is, petrol cars appear to be seen as just about as evil as diesel now, and electric cars are expensive as hell with nascent technology and limited infrastructure to support their use.

So, what to do? I can probably do without an SUV now the kids have outgrown their pushchairs, but beyond downsizing I’m not sure where to go.

Economically and morally speaking, what should I buy?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Or more specifically, two new cars. I’m due to change both my wife’s car and my own early next year, but for the first time I’m really scratching my head as to what to go for.

Currently, I have a 3.0 diesel Jaguar F-Pace and my wife has a petrol Corsa. When I bought my last car, I swore I wouldn’t have another diesel but the deal was so attractive I couldn’t resist. However, if 2020 has taught me anything it’s that the world is a better place when it’s not completely fúcked and so concern for the environment has probably reached a turning point in my mind.

The trouble is, petrol cars appear to be seen as just about as evil as diesel now, and electric cars are expensive as hell with nascent technology and limited infrastructure to support their use.

So, what to do? I can probably do without an SUV now the kids have outgrown their pushchairs, but beyond downsizing I’m not sure where to go.

routine maintenance, keeping existing vehicles; cut down on car journeys, cycling, walking etc

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Personally I would go electric, we have 2 electric vehicles in our household. If you have a driveway where you can plug it in at night then in most cases you won't need to plug-in anywhere else during the day. Most of the vehicles coming out now have over 200 miles range which is more than adequate for most people.

Infrastructure is also improving, for example 200 lamp post chargers are being installed in Brighton and Hove this year.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Personally I would go electric, we have 2 electric vehicles in our household. If you have a driveway where you can plug it in at night then in most cases you won't need to plug-in anywhere else during the day. Most of the vehicles coming out now have over 200 miles range which is more than adequate for most people.

Infrastructure is also improving, for example 200 lamp post chargers are being installed in Brighton and Hove this year.

There’s the number one problem in Brighton, Driveways, not a lot of them in Brighton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Building new cars uses massive amounts of resources, and is hardly good for the environment. Buy a decent second hand one - maybe one that's been let go by one of those environmentally unaware pr@ts that thinks they need a brand new car every two or three years.

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011

Go with what you fancy! Bit late to go all green now when you've already had at least two children, which is the single worst thing you can do if you care about the environment.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Building new cars uses massive amounts of resources, and is hardly good for the environment. Buy a decent second hand one - maybe one that's been let go by one of those environmentally unaware pr@ts that thinks they need a brand new car every two or three years.

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if 2020 has taught me anything it’s that the world is a better place when it’s not completely fúcked and so concern for the environment has probably reached a turning point in my mind.

Maybe buy a bicycle then? Aside from the environmental benefits you’ll save on road tax as well as petrol...and you won’t need to worry about traffic lights anymore.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe buy a bicycle then? Aside from the environmental benefits you’ll save on road tax as well as petrol...and you won’t need to worry about traffic lights anymore.

I’ve read that there’s a school of thought that says that cyclists should pay road tax just like other road users do.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also insurance and maybe a mandatory lesson in the Highway Code as red lights don’t seem to apply to cyclists.

I’ve done the traffic lights line already. Using the road when there’s a perfectly good cycle path is still up for grabs though.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
If environment is a concern for you now then I suppose the big question is do you need 2 cars? If yes then you are best off driving what you enjoy as hybrid and battery tech is in such formative days that it'll be outdated within a few years IMO. A leap in tech is imminent, so while humans are legally allowed to operate their own vehicles get something you love.

If you're conscious of your wheel-print perhaps consider a smaller car over a yank tank otherwise happy motoring. FWIW I had a rental while between cars the other day, a new Renault Kadjar. Was nice. Then I got my new car...a small Skoda Fabs. Also nice. But on street parking is very competitive where I live so the smaller the better.

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
I’ve read that there’s a school of thought that says that cyclists should pay road tax just like other road users do.

The current road tax system is based on emissions and some cars pay zero road tax as emissions a very low. So where do cycles full in that bracket? I suspect in the low emissions and I would the wear and tear on the tarmac is negligible.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is there any chance you can get a company car or are you self employed? Company car BIK on electric vehicles is currently 0%.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Also insurance and maybe a mandatory lesson in the Highway Code as red lights don’t seem to apply to cyclists.

I don't get the obsession with cyclists and insurance. In a car you could credibly cause an accident and write off another car resulting in damages of 10s of thousands of pounds, which most people couldn't afford to pay. That is why insurance is mandatory.

Cyclists are still liable to pay for damage they cause to another road user, but the damage from a soft 80kg vehicle hitting a metal box at 20mph is going to be limited to a bit of a paint touch up and payable by nearly everyone. Besides, lots of cyclists do have insurance.

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
There’s the number one problem in Brighton, Driveways, not a lot of them in Brighton.

Not sure where the OP lives but a lot of houses north of the A270 have driveways. Never lived in central Brighton and Hove but Ive always thought that owning a car must be difficult in some roads due to the parking issues.

Most of the 200 lamppost chargers that are going in are south of the A270 and a lot seem to be in residential permit parking areas. Only used them once though so not sure yet how reliable the network is.

Where Brighton really does fall down is in the lack of rapid charging, there is only one unit in Withdean which is poorly maintained. A Tesla technician told me that they wanted to put a Tesla supercharging station in Brighton, and had identified a suitable location, but Brighton council wouldn't allow them to due to the contract that they have with their chosen provider (electric blue).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here