Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Motd 18.10.20

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Not showboating I don't think. He wasn't aware of the defender coming in from behind - tried to cut inside to give himself an easier finish. Just a bad decision.

An easier finish! Have you seen the photo on the previous page? He doesn't need to make it easier.

He was in a very strange frame of mind yesterday. So many bad decisions from every good position he was put into.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We seem to have ironed out those ridiculous short corners from the Everton game, so I expect shots galore next week now haha!

Albion's tactics vs Everton reminded me of 'The Fast Show' and Jessie's Diets'., i.e. "This week I have been mostly...taking shorts corners".

Yesterday's Jessie's Diets was "This week I have been mostly...giving it to Lamptey".

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Bissouma... ...more eager to shoot from distance

I'm not sure that's something which Potter should be encouraging...

1.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have watched that over and over and for the life of me cannot understand why he doesn't shoot there. Every other striker would. You can easily score to either side of the keeper, he is stranded and the defender is too far away to get a block in.

The only explanation I can think of is that he was showboating.

or lack of confidence because his conversion rate is not particularly good?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
we had two bits of luck in the build up to the goal, the miscontrol by the defender and the deflection. More luck than we have had in rest of the games put together.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sums up our decision making in the final third. It’s so frustrating!

Exactly the point made by Danny Murphy on MOTD2 last night - he said he got frustrated at our failure to take shots from the edge of the penalty. He showed several clips where, instead, we repeatedly took one touch or pass too many on the edge of their penalty area, by which time, a shooting opportunity or even a half-chance had been lost, and the Palace defence had closed us down, or even regained possession for a counter-attack.

He suggested that we were carrying our 'passing out from the back' game into the final third, rather than mixing things up or changing tactics when we got closer to their goal; we continued passing the ball instead of someone having the confidence or poacher's instinct to take a punt or lob from 20-25 yards out.

Hence lots of possession (again), but not many shots on target.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I'm not sure that's something which Potter should be encouraging...

1.jpg

And I'm not sure what you're getting at here. YB has scored two absolute crackers from distance over his last five matches, and yesterday he hit one pretty sweetly that hit side netting. I'm sure GP is having him practice a lot from distance, and encouraging to have a go when the opportunity comes up: obviously one of the better strikers of the ball we have.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

And I'm not sure what you're getting at here. YB has scored two absolute crackers from distance over his last five matches, and yesterday he hit one pretty sweetly that hit side netting. I'm sure GP is having him practice a lot from distance, and encouraging to have a go when the opportunity comes up: obviously one of the better strikers of the ball we have.

And he was prepared to take 2 shots on with his "wrong" foot.. good connections both.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

His main problem does seem to be keeping them down though. If he could get over the ball, we'd get a lot more that bother the keeper - because they can be moving at a pretty decent speed when he connects.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
His main problem does seem to be keeping them down though. If he could get over the ball, we'd get a lot more that bother the keeper - because they can be moving at a pretty decent speed when he connects.

I would say he's sorted that issue out.
Pre-lockdown, it was a fair complaint, but since then most of his shots have been a decent height and two cracking goals.
One was a bit wayward yesterday, but the first one was a decent hit from a tough angle.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I have watched that over and over and for the life of me cannot understand why he doesn't shoot there. Every other striker would. You can easily score to either side of the keeper, he is stranded and the defender is too far away to get a block in.

The only explanation I can think of is that he was showboating.

Perhaps he was just too close to the ball at the point he would have shot with his right foot. The freeze frame shows him over the ball, and if he had no chance at that point of pulling his leg back for power and accuracy the option of moving it to his left would have seemed better.

I tried to look for this on the MOTD footage but it wasn't conclusive though.

Maupay doesn't seem like a showboater, more a dedicated (aka selfish) striker who just wants to get it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here