Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Motd 18.10.20

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Thought the police controlled it superbly today, to be fair.

If we're allowed back in for the home game, it will be interesting to see how the black pyjama clowns manage to avoid being spotted setting off rookies whilst sitting in allocated seats metres apart from each other. I suspect whatever happens, they'll blame Sussex Police. They probably suspect them of starting the virus just to stop them getting into the Amex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we're allowed back in for the home game, it will be interesting to see how the black pyjama clowns manage to avoid being spotted setting off rookies whilst sitting in allocated seats metres apart from each other. I suspect whatever happens, they'll blame Sussex Police. They probably suspect them of starting the virus just to stop them getting into the Amex.

They'll probably beat themselves up fighting over the empty seats.

Doesn't matter anyway. Nobodies going to football this season, lets face it.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I have watched that over and over and for the life of me cannot understand why he doesn't shoot there. Every other striker would. You can easily score to either side of the keeper, he is stranded and the defender is too far away to get a block in.

The only explanation I can think of is that he was showboating.

This, I think a touch of Knocky there.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One thing I noticed on MOTD2 tonight when Maupay spazzed up that chance by cutting inside, was Solly to his left, completely in the open and audibly shouting "Neal...Neal...NEAL", before collapsing to his knees when Maupay's shot was (inevitably) blocked.

That said, Solly would probably have just tried to waltz round three more players before walking it round the keeper and doing a 'Sergei' before slotting it over the line from a yard. Danny Murphy was right, we are FAR too intricate when we get to the box and seem to want to walk it in.

Thankfully scotch argie arrived on the scene and showed what to do by just TWATTING it when the ball fell in front of him and he saw the whites of the posts. We really, REALLY need to do that more.

About time we got a deflected goal - and that one was minimal. I swear we’ve had about 10 go against us the last year or so and rarely seem to get them for us!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yeah agree, was very frustrating! The Maupay one where he cuts inside instead of shooting was the one that tipped it for me!

You mean he should have shot here, rather than turning inside and getting tackled by 3 players?

6C53A070-4F0B-4D16-B3C2-0006B72C50EE.jpeg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Disagreed with Murphy about the malicious intent in Dunks deserved red card but otherwise the analysis was spot on. We actually got a fair hearing last night and our main shortcoming was constructively highlighted. The above example of Maupay's indecision the prime example. It is however a solvable shortcoming that can and should be coached out of him, much in the same way Ancelotti has turned DCL from an annoying cheat into a ruthlessly efficient striker.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought Murphy's comment about knocking it around at the back and then carrying that on in the final third was a good observation.
And that it's something which can be easily solved

Potter has talked about decision making several times.
I'm sure it is something we are working on.
Bissouma and Trossard have both been more eager to shoot from distance when the chance is there.
Trossard was particularly guilty of looking for the killler pass rather than having a go previously.

Maupay can be guilty of a poor final pass or holding on too long when in good positions.
I'm sure Potter and the coaches are all over it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have watched that over and over and for the life of me cannot understand why he doesn't shoot there. Every other striker would. You can easily score to either side of the keeper, he is stranded and the defender is too far away to get a block in.

Not his normal approach though - generally he shoots on sight. Maybe a bit too often.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah agree, was very frustrating! The Maupay one where he cuts inside instead of shooting was the one that tipped it for me!

Maupay is two footed. Just dont understand why he didnt shoot when one on one. Also March who could have shot but put it on right foot that is only used for standing

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Not showboating I don't think. He wasn't aware of the defender coming in from behind - tried to cut inside to give himself an easier finish. Just a bad decision.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not showboating I don't think. He wasn't aware of the defender coming in from behind - tried to cut inside to give himself an easier finish. Just a bad decision.

Decision making is his weakness IMO.

Really good striker and does a lot right, but seems to hold on too long quite often.
Not sure how you coach that, but I'm sure the coaching team are on it (if they see it as a problem)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here