Page 321 of 361 FirstFirst ... 221271311318319320321322323324331 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,210 of 3608

2 Not allowed!
    Let me introduce you to Dr Waheed Arian who was a refugee granted asylum here. Look him in the face and thank him for working in the NHS and paying taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

• North Stand Chat

advertising

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Durlston View Post
      So Emmanuel Macron still hasn't resigned after this shameful tragedy? Shame on him. Despicable man.
      What about our Home Secretary who is facing three legal battles on her plans to force back asylum seekers with patrol boats, prosecute RNLI personnel if they rescue those at risk of drowning and evaluated using " wave machines " and nets to disable small boats?

Where is your " Despicable" meter on her?
      " The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards " Gove, M. 19/4/2016

" We will be leaving on December 31st on Australian style terms and trading under the basis of WTO rules " Gove, M 19/10/2020

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by vegster View Post
      What about our Home Secretary who is facing three legal battles on her plans to force back asylum seekers with patrol boats, prosecute RNLI personnel if they rescue those at risk of drowning and evaluated using " wave machines " and nets to disable small boats?

Where is your " Despicable" meter on her?
      That's completely different, vegster.

I respect your opinion. Time will tell I guess on Priti Patel.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      https://news.sky.com/video/migrants-...annel-12429301

Police suggesting they had insufficient manpower to keep a large number of immigrants from trying to cross the channel....
      Last edited by Lever; 25-11-2021 at 12:41.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Run View Post
      MP for Calais on Radio 5 this morning, suggested that the UK were at fault with this ongoing situation by making the UK ‘magnifique ‘ nice houses money etc
      This all the while while photos are circulating of French Police watching on as people climb into dingys on the beach.

Let’s be brutally honest the French authorities want them as much as the Uk…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'Honest' is sufficient... we've had enough 'brutality' on this site.

An atmosphere of hostility has been generated between some of the British and French stakeholders post Brexit; that was fairly predictable and unsurprising; but it is also the case that structures of communication and co-operation have gone into abeyance.....

The comments (accurate or otherwise) made by the MP for Calais are probably partly partisan/political and certainly unhelpful.

The emotive anti-French language of The Express 'French police just stand and watch as cheering migrants board dinghy to cross Channel' and The Telegraph 'French police 'stood by and watched' migrants hours before deadly Channel crossing' ...is abject propaganda, entirely in keeping with their longstanding pro Brexit, anti all things EU style.

Your reaction to these two factors is in my opinion predictable too, given political views you have expressed previously. I accept they come from honestly held beliefs but I reject the notion that, for instance, photographs and damning headlines published by the Telegraph or the Express reveal objectivity; they merely enforce the prejudices of their right wing readership.
      Last edited by Lever; 25-11-2021 at 13:01.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Durlston View Post
      So Emmanuel Macron still hasn't resigned after this shameful tragedy? Shame on him. Despicable man.
      The British government haven't paid him money they promised.

Do you think Johnson would resign if people were leaving Britain wholesale? Somehow, I doubt it.
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lever View Post
      Honest is enough... we've had enough brutality on this site.

An atmosphere of hostility has been generated between some of the British and French stakeholders post Brexit; that was fairly predictable and unsurprising; but it is also the case that structures of communication and co-operation have gone into abeyance.....

The comments (accurate or otherwise) made by the MP for Calais are probably partly political and unhelpful.

The emotive anti-French language of The Express 'French police just stand and watch as cheering migrants board dinghy to cross Channel' and The Telegraph 'French police 'stood by and watched' migrants hours before deadly Channel crossing ...is abject propaganda that is entirely in keeping with their longstanding pro Brexit, confrontational style.

Your reaction to these two factors is in my opinion predictable too, given other political views you have expressed. I accept they come from honestly held beliefs but I reject the notion that, for instance, photographs published by the Telegraph or the Express reveal objectivity; they merely enforce the prejudices of their right wing readership.
      Well the Sky News video showing clear visual evidence that the Police are watching and doing nothing surely can’t be described as pandering to their right wing viewers?

0 Not allowed!
      The Refugee Council’s analysis, using Home Office data and Freedom of Information requests, found that 91% of people who travelled by boat across the Channel came from 10 countries where human rights abuses and persecution were common.
      These were Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Iraq, Sudan, Vietnam, Kuwait, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Yemen
      The charity’s investigation revealed that overall, nearly two-thirds of people arriving here in small boats are deemed to be genuine refugees and allowed to remain.
      Of those arriving from Syria, 88% were granted asylum at the initial decision stage. From Eritrea, 84%.
      And, for example, of those from Syria not granted asylum at first, 73% were granted asylum on appeal.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Run View Post
      Well the Sky News video showing clear visual evidence that the Police are watching and doing nothing surely can’t be described as pandering to their right wing viewers?

Before responding, I must say having straightforward, impersonal, 'political' exchanges with you, without distractions about site 'handles', accusations of lying and other irrelevancies is really refreshing and I do thank you for that.

Regards your comment, I am not about to try and defend that situation; I don't know enough, wasn't present at the event and anyway it was mediated; fundamentally it is a human tragedy and I suggest we all await further scrutiny (from all sides) before passing judgement or pointing a finger of blame on the basis of political predispositions.

Regarding the Sky piece - even though the police claim (off the record) that their inaction was a result of having insufficient manpower one suspects they could have done something more than they did. But as I say, it is best to have an open mind at this stage.

Do you think the Murdoch-owned Sky channel (or any other media outlet, left or right wing, for that matter) is a 'voice of objectivity'?

I do consider the Express and Telegraph articles to be particularly pernicious. The truth is rarely pure and never simple but they know their audience well and this is an inappropriate, instant, sabre-rattling reaction to a shocking, awful event. I hope you can find some measure of agreement with that view......
      Last edited by Lever; 25-11-2021 at 14:46.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lever View Post
      Do you think the Murdoch-owned Sky channel (or any other media outlet, left or right wing, for that matter) is a 'voice of objectivity'?
      Minor point: Sky was sold to Comcast in 2018, ending Murdoch's ownership.