Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] A thread on the origins of famous sporting Cups and Trophies

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bollocks to this guttingly shit transfer window :lolol:

I found this fascinating and amusing (the free bar bit :smile:)

The Calcutta Club (egg chasing between England and Scotland for the peasants who don’t know :wink:)

On Christmas Day 1872, a game of rugby football, between 20 players representing England on one side and 20 representing Scotland on the other, was played in Calcutta.[citation needed]
The match was such a success that it was repeated a week later. These lovers of rugby wanted to form a club in the area and the aforementioned matches were the agents which led to the formation of the Calcutta Football Club in January 1873.
The Calcutta Club joined the Rugby Football Union in 1874. Despite the Indian climate not being entirely suitable for playing rugby, the club prospered during that first year. However, when the free bar had to be discontinued, the membership took an appreciable drop. Other sports, such as tennis and polo, which were considered to be more suited to the local climate, were making inroads into the numbers of gentlemen available. The members decided to disband but keen to perpetuate the name of the club, they withdrew the club's funds from the bank, which were in Silver Rupees, had them melted down and made into a cup which they presented to the Rugby Football Union in England in 1878, with the provision that it should be competed for annually.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
People often winge about gambling advertising swamping football and other sporting events. Yet the origins of the codifying of most major sports boxing, horse racing, cricket, football etc. was so they could be gambled on.
I'm not sure if that's on topic.

el punal

Bollocks to this guttingly shit transfer window :lolol:

I found this fascinating and amusing (the free bar bit :smile:)

The Calcutta Club (egg chasing between England and Scotland for the peasants who don’t know :wink:)

On Christmas Day 1872, a game of rugby football, between 20 players representing England on one side and 20 representing Scotland on the other, was played in Calcutta.[citation needed]
The match was such a success that it was repeated a week later. These lovers of rugby wanted to form a club in the area and the aforementioned matches were the agents which led to the formation of the Calcutta Football Club in January 1873.
The Calcutta Club joined the Rugby Football Union in 1874. Despite the Indian climate not being entirely suitable for playing rugby, the club prospered during that first year. However, when the free bar had to be discontinued, the membership took an appreciable drop. Other sports, such as tennis and polo, which were considered to be more suited to the local climate, were making inroads into the numbers of gentlemen available. The members decided to disband but keen to perpetuate the name of the club, they withdrew the club's funds from the bank, which were in Silver Rupees, had them melted down and made into a cup which they presented to the Rugby Football Union in England in 1878, with the provision that it should be competed for annually.

John Jeffrey and Dean Richards weren’t too keen on the trophy when they decided that it was the match ball in a game of soccer after the Calcutta Cup match dinner and various sherbets partaken. :drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Le Tours yellow jersey was introduced to honour the main sponsor, sports newspaper L'auto-velo, which was printed on yellow newspaper.

I'd have to look up when, but I can't be arsed, so probably sometime in the early 1920's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here