zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It is. I grew a bit weary after 15 years, but having had a few years break I'm missing racing again . . . .

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I really missed the revival this year too, I go every year with my father in law and it’s the weekend of the year for us. I tried to replicate the weekend at home this year; got dressed up, father in law came over, set up some races around the Goodwood circuit on Gran Turismo, but it wasn’t the same.

I shall be spending quite some time watching the live stream this weekend, except for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'll be watching tomorrow and Sunday in between bits and pieces at work.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'll always watch the St Marys Trophy, having done it a few times, and raced with some of theose guys over the years.

One to look out for in the Whitsun Trophy, is the Elva GT160, a unique car, and made in Bexhill!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My late father-in-law raced at Goodwood in the late 50's, once finishing second the Earl of March Trophy in April 1957

Jul 7, 2003
Also being shown on ITV across the weekend - most of it on ITV4 but some on the main channel on Sunday I believe

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I went to an earlyish FoS ( 2001 ) Didn't go again until I was asked to look after stuff a few years ago. Much more relaxed than the revival which is hectic if you're cometing . . . . as fabulous as that is, it can be a little frustrating seeing thousands of people oohing aahing and having a ball!

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
My late father-in-law raced at Goodwood in the late 50's, once finishing second the Earl of March Trophy in April 1957

Do you mind me asking his name?

PM me if you'd prefer.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I went to an earlyish FoS ( 2001 ) Didn't go again until I was asked to look after stuff a few years ago. Much more relaxed than the revival which is hectic if you're cometing . . . . as fabulous as that is, it can be a little frustrating seeing thousands of people oohing aahing and having a ball!

My father and I went to the first fos which was the hill climb.

I think it was Marc surer that broke both legs in a Ferrari f1.

I'll never forget the sound of the lotus cossy dfv going up the hill through the trees.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My father and I went to the first fos which was the hill climb.

I think it was Marc surer that broke both legs in a Ferrari f1.

I'll never forget the sound of the lotus cossy dfv going up the hill through the trees.

Whilst the Italians make beautiful cars, and stunningly well engineered overly complicated engines ( which to their credit have been very succesful over the years and sound like an orchestra, as opposed to a punk band!). The DFV remains the greatest F1 engine ever, and I think Cosworth remain the greatest engine company . . . .you can trace the DFV back and get to a 997 anglia engine. The companies root, and the key to Lotus being competitive and reliable, aside Their own fragility! Ford funded it, one of the greatest moves in automotive history. That tie all all boils back to Jeff Uren in the late 50's . . . . .

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Whilst the Italians make beautiful cars, and stunningly well engineered overly complicated engines ( which to their credit have been very succesful over the years and sound like an orchestra, as opposed to a punk band!). The DFV remains the greatest F1 engine ever, and I think Cosworth remain the greatest engine company . . . .you can trace the DFV back and get to a 997 anglia engine. The companies root, and the key to Lotus being competitive and reliable, aside Their own fragility! Ford funded it, one of the greatest moves in automotive history. That tie all all boils back to Jeff Uren in the late 50's . . . . .

I have very distant memories of meeting Keith Duckwoth at probably Snetterton or Cadwell.

My grandfather was testing I think a Brabham BT14 and was trying to the get the DFV but I think it was exclusively for Chapman at the time.

My memory is rather vague but Innes Ireland and Jimmy Clark were there as I still have their autographs framed.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I imagine it’s a bit like Henley. The rowing is incidental to most of the spectators. But for the competitors it’s the only thing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have very distant memories of meeting Keith Duckwoth at probably Snetterton or Cadwell.

My grandfather was testing I think a Brabham BT14 and was trying to the get the DFV but I think it was exclusively for Chapman at the time.

My memory is rather vague but Innes Ireland and Jimmy Clark were there as I still have their autographs framed.

Fantastic. Thats Pele grade.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Currently watching a BT14 destroy the field in the Glover Trophy, sounds lovely.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Cool, I remember the firsttime I saw the 500's, thought then, and still think now, you've got to be nuts to race one!

I stumbled upon this yesterday, I knew Bob, He lived near Storrington. I built an engine for that very car . . . . His son finished 5th at Goodwood a few years ago in it. http://www.brdc.co.uk/Notice-of-Death---Bob-Hicks-1930---2020

Judging by the time frame I would say it pretty likely that my father-in-law knew and possibly even raced against Bob. There's quite a few mentions of Bob Hicks in an old Formula Junior book we have.

junior-1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here