Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Charity toys and books help.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Good Morning good folk of NSC.

We have had a clear out of my daughters toys and soft cuddly toys (about 6 bags) and books (about 4 bags) and a bag of fancy dress stuff.
I would normally just pop them in front of the local charity shop on Lewes Road, which just gets picked through by locals.
Or would drop them at my grandads old church for the children, but they can't during covid and have enough anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a local charity that would take the toys,books etc that helps local disadvantaged children ?

Any info greatly appreciated and I will be happy to drop them round to an address.

I will add many of the books and toys are practically brand new and never been played or read.
Loads of Playmobile toys and those shitty little sylvanian family bollox toys

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Up here in Brum out local charity shops are not taking anything at present because of covid :rolleyes:

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

We have had a clear out of my daughters toys and soft cuddly toys (about 6 bags) and books (about 4 bags) and a bag of fancy dress stuff.
I would normally just pop them in front of the local charity shop on Lewes Road, which just gets picked through by locals.
Or would drop them at my grandads old church for the children, but they can't during covid and have enough anyway.

Does anyone know if there is a local charity that would take the toys,books etc that helps local disadvantaged children ?

Any info greatly appreciated and I will be happy to drop them round to an address.

I will add many of the books and toys are practically brand new and never been played or read.
Maybe ebay the sylvan Ian families and play mobile go for decent amounts normally and you ca give away the money if so inclined, a faff I know.

Sent from my EVR-N29 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe ebay the sylvan Ian families and play mobile go for decent amounts normally and you ca give away the money if so inclined, a faff I know.

To be honest I can't be arsed selling it, and your right we could get good money for some of it, but in these hard times, I thought it would be better to see if they can go to a good home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We've done similar PF . . . lots of clothes/shoes etc to charity bins, books and toys too. most of the Charity shops aren't taking anything. My lad wants to keep all his lego, but we've sold a lot of Playmobil, and kept some, its great stuff!
re clothes, in the not so distant past I've sold stuff, fortunately I'm in a better position now and felt much better donating to someone who may actually need it.

17 years worth of stuff in the loft, which is now being converted. Whilst decluttering I was questioned as to why I have 10 bass guitars. . . you can't win sometimes :rolleyes:

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
To be honest I can't be arsed selling it, and your right we could get good money for some of it, but in these hard times, I thought it would be better to see if they can go to a good home.
I totally agree and I'm a hypocrite cause the house is full of stuff I could sell and end up giving to friends instead. Do an NSC toy sale? I've got a 5 year old and might buy some off you or contact local shelters for domestic violence etc as they are often looking for stuff.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Try Brighton Lions ( info@brightonlions.org.uk ) - they have a used book shop and also provide cuddly toys to ambulances which are given to children they transport. I'm not sure what effect Covid has had on their operation in these two areas though.

EDIT : And all the money they raise goes to local causes ( no salaries ). Here are a few examples from the last months :

The Bevy community pub, provision of hot meals and essentials to vulnerable people during lockdown - £3000
Time to Talk Befriending, a small local charity also providing meals and essentials, plus a friendly chat
Sussex MS Centre had to spend £10,000 to re-open Covid-safe. Lions contributed £2000
Emmaus were worried about paying for heat and light in their hostel for 54 homeless men. Lions gave £2500
£500 each to Brighton Food Bank and Whitehawk Food Bank

DOUBLE EDIT ( sorry ! ) - if anyone wants to donate via any method then please contact the Lions via the email address above as their funds have taken one hell of a hit during lockdown.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It’s a far more effective way to help. Every charity shop around my way has, and remains, closed for any sort of donations (except cash!) because the entire country has cleared its junk out this year and dumped it in charity shops. It’s cost them millions to dispose of. So if something has a value, and you want to help, you could as others suggest, try selling it first and donating proceeds. My advice thereafter would be to bin it. We are awash with shite in this country, as the population that grew up in the era of FMCG downsizes or dare I say, dies. The sheer volume of crap we buy in our lifetimes that has no real value because another 10 million were manufactured on mass in Hong Kong etc is evident by such signs outside every charity shop in the land!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The British Heart Foundation shop on London Road has looked open. If you gave them a ring and they are, you can drive around to the side door knock and they collect from there.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Try Brighton Lions ( info@brightonlions.org.uk ) - they have a used book shop and also provide cuddly toys to ambulances which are given to children they transport. I'm not sure what effect Covid has had on their operation in these two areas though.

EDIT : And all the money they raise goes to local causes ( no salaries ). Here are a few examples from the last months :

The Bevy community pub, provision of hot meals and essentials to vulnerable people during lockdown - £3000
Time to Talk Befriending, a small local charity also providing meals and essentials, plus a friendly chat
Sussex MS Centre had to spend £10,000 to re-open Covid-safe. Lions contributed £2000
Emmaus were worried about paying for heat and light in their hostel for 54 homeless men. Lions gave £2500
£500 each to Brighton Food Bank and Whitehawk Food Bank

Thank you, I have emailed them and the Rocking Horse Charity, hopefully they will reply.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I totally agree and I'm a hypocrite cause the house is full of stuff I could sell and end up giving to friends instead. Do an NSC toy sale? I've got a 5 year old and might buy some off you or contact local shelters for domestic violence etc as they are often looking for stuff.

I am looking to get shot of them this Saturday to be honest if possible while the daughter is having a sleepover (less hassle she agreed to them going, but when she sees them going out the door it could turn ugly:lolol:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here