Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BT Sport boss: Premier League suggested £14.95 pay-per-view fee

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Again - what are the 'costs' for this? The cameras and broadcasts are already in place for pretty much every TV company in the world, so what is the extra 'costs' ?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Again - what are the 'costs' for this? The cameras and broadcasts are already in place for pretty much every TV company in the world, so what is the extra 'costs' ?

Have you seen how many trucks and people arrive when we’re live on tv

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yes but that is there even if we are not on domestic tv. It’s a single broadcaster for everyone globally

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the costs are those the Premier League set for rights to show the game.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Not many more than when we're not live on UK TV. As mentioned so many times, every game is live somewhere, hence all the 'free' streams. Do you really think they will roll in 10 extra cameras, 3 pitchside crew, 2 commentators and a whole load more for Brighton v WBA that will be viewed by under 20K fans. In a word NO.
All the commentators will be at home or in a studio, the transmission will be taken from the cameras in place for others. Only extra may be a truck that decides which camera to show and replays. In the end we could even get Gray & Keys live from BeIn Sports.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
If at 14.95 BT are ‘barely covering their costs’, how much is actually going to go back to the clubs ?

The quote was this:

“We also have a cost that they’re charging us for those games. We’re certainly not making significant amounts of money out of this, we’re pretty much just covering our costs to put these games on.”

So part of the cost that "they're charging us" will be the bit that goes to clubs

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Every game is broadcast globally, with commentary in English, all they need to do is flick a switch and it goes out on sky/bt/Amazon, just more lying, conning, and ripping off. If they want to personalise it, then use the local BBC radio commentary feeds and hey presto, a pretty much free solution. I’ll stick to moody streams, which seem to be better than ever at the moment.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
From what I had heard, I had assumed that profits from games were being shared amongst the clubs.

It now sounds like The networks are being charged for access to the games and the networks are bearing the risk on the take up and the potential for more profits, if it takes off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I still remember that FRISSON of excitement I'd feel walking up Goldstone Lane, and clocking a manky rickety old unit of scaffolding erected at the back of the East terrace, with a small shack acting as the commentary box.

"Oooh, we're going to be on the TELLY" :O

Not many more than when we're not live on UK TV. As mentioned so many times, every game is live somewhere, hence all the 'free' streams. Do you really think they will roll in 10 extra cameras, 3 pitchside crew, 2 commentators and a whole load more for Brighton v WBA that will be viewed by under 20K fans. In a word NO.
All the commentators will be at home or in a studio, the transmission will be taken from the cameras in place for others. Only extra may be a truck that decides which camera to show and replays. In the end we could even get Gray & Keys live from BeIn Sports.

Ifollow charge 10 quid for what is basically a single camera. It works fine. All the paraphernalia of sky featured razzmatazz is simply not necessary for the non TV picked games, just pare it back

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still remember that FRISSON of excitement I'd feel walking up Goldstone Lane, and clocking a manky rickety old unit of scaffolding erected at the back of the East terrace, with a small shack acting as the commentary box.

and Codnor's gonna play really well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Infuriating player, but when he was on it, he was MUSTARD.

Millwall was a scaffolding day, and he was immense that afternoon.

He was the full condiment range when the cameras were there.

Were he playing today the conversation would be:-

Messi Codnor or Ronaldo - who's the best? :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thanks for that reminder of something long lost.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Sure John Motson was walking round the Goldstone East stand the day we beat Forest 1.0 in 1980.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Well that's very interesting because my understanding is they aren't allowed to do that legally because the PL would open themselves up to running a cartel.

Agree or disagree with Paul Barber (and I'll often disagree) but he speaks the truth as he sees it. Brighton were surprised at the price but had absolutely no input because that would be illegal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps if there was more meat to the bone and instead of referring to 'the premier leauge' saying something, they should say who at the premier league said something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here