Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sml Buisness: Google Drive v Apple iCloud v Microsoft

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've been backing up to various services, well, lots of them with ODrive Sync, but really need to commit to a platform.

My Google Account seems the best platform at the moment, I like the templates on Google Docs, Google Photos works well as does Google Drive. I want to be a bit more efficient in producing gant charts, to do lists etc.

Most of my hardware is Apple though, so iCloud is also an option.

I have a Microsoft account as well, but not sure the interface works as well.

This is about starting to use a platform a bit more seamlessly than I have been. I've been more of that traditional application from your computer running, then backing up thereafter. Cloud apps and docs seems to allow a far greater degree of flexible working, backing up and productivity.

Any thoughts or experiences of preferred services?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For multiple users love Dropbox Pro, dead easy to use.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For small business personally I'd avoid Google. While there is a lot of benefits, they have been pretty ruthless in the past which changing products / dropping products at a drop of a hat.

Microsoft are probably a safe bet. Or Apple like you've mentioned.

Do you have email? Could you go full Office 360 ?

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
I've been backing up to various services, well, lots of them with ODrive Sync, but really need to commit to a platform.

My Google Account seems the best platform at the moment, I like the templates on Google Docs, Google Photos works well as does Google Drive. I want to be a bit more efficient in producing gant charts, to do lists etc.

Most of my hardware is Apple though, so iCloud is also an option.

I have a Microsoft account as well, but not sure the interface works as well.

This is about starting to use a platform a bit more seamlessly than I have been. I've been more of that traditional application from your computer running, then backing up thereafter. Cloud apps and docs seems to allow a far greater degree of flexible working, backing up and productivity.

Any thoughts or experiences of preferred services?

My experience is iCloud, Google Drive or Dropbox all over Microsoft OneDrive. OneDrive has made it a PITA to integrate all applications and seems late in the game. It basically was trying to force me to re-structure all of my files to use. Though almost everything I use is Apple so that might be a reason why.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I use Microsoft OneDrive. I had 5GB free but that soon ran out so I now pay £3.80 per month for 1TB.

Works easy enough and I have phone app for it which means I can see any document on my phone if I want and that’s been really useful.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
For small business personally I'd avoid Google. While there is a lot of benefits, they have been pretty ruthless in the past which changing products / dropping products at a drop of a hat.

I prefer Office 365. [emoji846]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bear in mind if you are using a cloud service for every day, main use, it is *not* a backup. keep copy of anything important elsewhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Email is currently google mail, I need to sort out my domain hosting as their servers have been blocked from Hotmail so my business email can't send to hotmail addresses.

I could go the full MS Office route, but I don't actually need a huge amount of docs produced as most of my stuff is CAD. What I have been using for the last 5 years or so is LibreOffice.

Interesting what you've said about Google, any particular thing they dropped or changed that caused you a headache?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here