Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop purchasing advice

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hi all

I have twin daughters in year 6 and they have been nagging me for a couple of years about getting a laptop so with year 7 around the corner And who knows what for Covid, I am going to finally give in for Xmas. They don’t need anything really fancy just something where they will be able to use Microsoft office and watch a bit of YouTube.

Has anyone bought a relatively cheap one recently for their kids that they would recommend. I don’t really want to spend more than 350 quid each if I can avoid it and the internet is full of reviews that contradict each other. Therefore I am after real life recommendations from the trustworthy folk of NSC. Any you would recommend plus of course any you would avoid!

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
all much the same these days. where comparing specs, chose memory over processor.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I wouldn't ever go back to HDD after having a SSD laptop. Soooo sloowwww. If it wasn't for for fact that you said Office I'd say get a Chromebook for £170-200. Also, I'm a Windows hater - much prefer Ubuntu Mate or Chrome OS.

I'm not sure this is much help tbf.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Funny enough just bought one today . Took a lot of advice. Because I use multiple Microsoft apps like word, excel all open at the same time plus zoom was strongly advised to make sure my laptop had at least 8gb of ram plus 256 gb of memory and at least a 1.5 Pentel processor .

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I wouldn't ever go back to HDD after having a SSD laptop. Soooo sloowwww. If it wasn't for for fact that you said Office I'd say get a Chromebook for £170-200. Also, I'm a Windows hater - much prefer Ubuntu Mate or Chrome OS.

I'm not sure this is much help tbf.

I'm just in process of replacing my laptop and thought I might go for chromebook ... not sure why really.

I use WPS Office for spreadsheets and docs but only for personal stuff and happy to save anything on USB or Drive. But I looked at running WPS on Chromebook and it all looked a bit complicated. I thought a chromebook could download android apps and I could get WPS Office that way, am I mistaken?

Not a fan of Google Docs btw (probably just familiarity) and it looks a bit 'home made'

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not a fan of Google Docs btw (probably just familiarity) and it looks a bit 'home made'

How recently have you used Docs stuff? It's come a long way from the early days. Still not reached feature parity with Word as yet, but it has everything the majority of people will need.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Funny enough just bought one today . Took a lot of advice. Because I use multiple Microsoft apps like word, excel all open at the same time plus zoom was strongly advised to make sure my laptop had at least 8gb of ram plus 256 gb of memory and at least a 1.5 Pentel processor .

RAM and memory are the same thing.

Think you meant 256GB Harddrive?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No way choose memory over CPU.

You can upgrade memory far cheaper that you can a CPU

Especially in a laptop - at the cheaper end the CPU might not be upgradeable at all, while the RAM should be and is often quite easy to do yourself. Likewise on HDD / SSD - if you're tight on funds now there's no need to go big on these, especially if they aren't going to be used for any substantial gaming. For day-to-day internet and Office usage, especially for kids, you don't need a massive drive. They can be upgraded in future if you need to.

But I would second the advice to go for SSD if you can. System start up times, and performance of software running off the SSD, makes a big difference and will help prolong how long the machine retains acceptable performance as software etc moves on over time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No way choose memory over CPU.

You can upgrade memory far cheaper that you can a CPU

fair point, thing is basic CPU has been more than sufficient for typical users of years (aside games). memory is bigger bottle neck with web applications, sloppy code, multimedia, etc.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How recently have you used Docs stuff? It's come a long way from the early days. Still not reached feature parity with Word as yet, but it has everything the majority of people will need.

I took another look this morning (sheets as it's spreadsheets I use mostly) and agree it's better than was But I am so used to the structure and layout of WPS that I'd prefer to keep it. If I can't then using Google isn't the end of the world at all

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I took another look this morning (sheets as it's spreadsheets I use mostly) and agree it's better than was But I am so used to the structure and layout of WPS that I'd prefer to keep it. If I can't then using Google isn't the end of the world at all

You will be able to use the Android WPS Office on a Chromebook.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
For your needs I'd highly recommend a Chromebook.

I presume your twin daughters will want a laptop each and this is the cheap but reliable option. You can afford two chromebooks for one flashier Windows 10 model. Firstly, as with any teenager, I'd expect the main use to be internet based which Chromebook excels at. Secondly, for schoolwork, they'd be absolutely fine with google docs/sheets/slides as they all work natively with office apps.

As a first laptop it really does everything they need and will want. For 11/12 year olds it will be a dream and most importantly, affordable on your part. If when they're a bit older they want/need something a bit more complex, you will have got your moneys worth by then. Don't overspend on things that they really don't need yet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here