Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dominic Cummings' £30k unpaid council tax bill 'written off'

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The problems we have now and the deaths of many are laid firmly and squarely at the feet of Cummings.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh what the hell, this feels very in-keeping with the current mood.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...ax-payable-dominic-cummings-lockdown-cottage/

There's no way this won't be suckling at the teat of Mummy Pit - very soon. :lol:

So this is the schtick while we're all out of the ground and can't be accused of booing Tony's latest gamble; starting threads that you are desperate to see sent to the Bear Pit because you think you're too good to post on the perfectly adequate extant threads in the Bear Pit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So this is the schtick while we're all out of the ground and can't be accused of booing Tony's latest gamble; starting threads that you are desperate to see sent to the Bear Pit because you think you're too good to post on the perfectly adequate extant threads in the Bear Pit.

If you say so.

To me it looks a lot like another very news worthy story, hot on the heels of the previous one.
A thread where the main defense being offered up for the governments actions is trust in them and their actions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you say so.

To me it looks a lot like another very news worthy story, hot on the heels of the previous one.
A thread where the main defense being offered up for the governments actions is trust in them and their actions.

That’s the great thing about taking a dump. Once it’s out of your Harris you’re not responsible for it’s onward direction of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think I've got this right. So he and his sister built two dwellings on his dad's farm and have never paid any council tax, and now the council have caught up with him the charge kicks in from 4th October. So nothing has ben backdated for all the time those new dwellings have been there, no penalties whatsover.

That's like having a sole trade, not declaring it and not paying tax on the profit, then HMRC finding out. Only they would expect you to pay the tax arrears, ditto if you let a property and received undeclared rent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think I've got this right. So he and his sister built two dwellings on his dad's farm and have never paid any council tax, and now the council have caught up with him the charge kicks in from 4th October. So nothing has ben backdated for all the time those new dwellings have been there, no penalties whatsover.

That's like having a sole trade, not declaring it and not paying tax on the profit, then HMRC finding out. Only they would expect you to pay the tax arrears, ditto if you let a property and received undeclared rent.

They didn’t have planning permission either. Ordinary people have been ordered to demolish buildings when found out, but rules don’t apply to that family.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
doubt the Labour run local authority would have let him off anything if they could help it. probably there is no evidence the buildings have been used as dwellings for past 20 years. werent they supposed to be holiday lets, Cummings claimed were a home to excuse the trip there? he's skirted through the edges of the rules.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
doubt the Labour run local authority would have let him off anything if they could help it. probably there is no evidence the buildings have been used as dwellings for past 20 years. werent they supposed to be holiday lets, Cummings claimed were a home to excuse the trip there? he's skirted through the edges of the rules.

Even if they were holiday lets, they needed planning permission, even more so, because they’d come under commercial instead of domestic.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A number of years ago I was out of work and I was told that I was entitled to not pay council tax during that time. I was out off work for 5 months. When I went back to work I received a demand to pay those 5 months! How the **** does this work then?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They didn’t have planning permission either. Some* Ordinary people have been ordered to demolish buildings when found out, but rules don’t apply to that family.

And some ordinary people have been granted retrospective planning permission when found out rather than having to demolish
* edited for you

Also is there any statistical evidence anyone has that proves that everyone else gets backdated charges / doesn't have to pay any charges in similar circumstances? or are people just leaping to the conclusion this is the only exception because of who it is ?

The other, probably more important question then would be why this authority decided not to backdate if that is normal practice, what's the reasoning behind this decision and how does that compare to other similar cases they've dealt with? (If it is a Labour council, why have they decided this, it wouldn't appear to be out of political loyalty? You'd hope not but is there an element of knowing this decision they've made will cause a political controversy and paint someone connected to their opposition in a bad light )

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I offer no defence for what has occurred but I can confirm-

Dwellings built without planning permission / not in accordance with planning permission gain a lawful status after 4 years. There is nothing the council can do about that.

Council tax in these circumstances is never backdated it’s just applied from the date it was bought to the council’s attention.

So in both cases- the standard approach has been followed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I offer no defence for what has occurred but I can confirm-

Dwellings built without planning permission / not in accordance with planning permission gain a lawful status after 4 years. There is nothing the council can do about that.

Council tax in these circumstances is never backdated it’s just applied from the date it was bought to the council’s attention.

So in both cases- the standard approach has been followed.

Seven years and there are still restrictions.
https://www.markstephensarchitects....-need-planning-permission-ccferrie-mentioned/

Council tax can be backdated

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5291855/council-tax-debt-from-13-years-ago

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats key point, if council dont act, no backdating is due. but media have splashed an amount is "written off", everyone assumes they've researched the detail and giving a well informed account of the facts. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it going to be one per day, every day ?

As we get to the pointing end of 2020 I'll hazard a guess we'll be doing very well if it's just one a day.

All very depressing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Isn't this in the wrong area, didn't we create a "Can't be bothered reading false or inaccurate stories, exaggeration and unnecessary bile" area?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here