Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rival to Big Picture

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
According to The Athletic, David Bernstein and David Davies, among others, will present THEIR rescue package for EFL clubs, one they have been working on since March, to counter Project Big Picture.

While the PL shareholders have their meeting at 11am today, the new set of proposals is expected to be presented later this week. No details have been provided with the exception that it will NOT give the same power grab to the 'Big Six'.

Neither the Premier League nor the FA were invited in to take part in the creation of this project - in order to keep it 'independent'.

This will be fun...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
One of the interesting points is all the statements of all EFL clubs agreeing, closely followed by statements by a number of EFL clubs about that not being the case. #Fight

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the interesting points is all the statements of all EFL clubs agreeing, closely followed by statements by a number of EFL clubs about that not being the case. #Fight

Really? That sounds like a cabal - an inner circle within the EFL - feeling like they can speak on behalf of everyone BEFORE consulting them.

No wonder English football needs an enema.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
According to The Athletic, David Bernstein and David Davies, among others, will present THEIR rescue package for EFL clubs, one they have been working on since March, to counter Project Big Picture.

While the PL shareholders have their meeting at 11am today, the new set of proposals is expected to be presented later this week. No details have been provided with the exception that it will NOT give the same power grab to the 'Big Six'.

Neither the Premier League nor the FA were invited in to take part in the creation of this project - in order to keep it 'independent'.

This will be fun...

Fu@k football...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really? That sounds like a cabal - an inner circle within the EFL - feeling like they can speak on behalf of everyone BEFORE consulting them.

Indeed. Obviously we need to take Risdale's comments with a pinch of salt given his history but .....

"Peter Ridsdale, the owner's representative at Championship side Preston North End, said: "At the Championship meeting today, whilst there wasn't a vote, there were no dissenting voices on the conference call.

"There were some questions raised, and I think fairly, because it was leaked, and because we've only seen certain elements of the discussions there will be points that individual clubs would want clarification on or the ability to discuss, but in terms of the broad principles of it there were no dissenting voices at the Championship meeting today."

However, the claims of almost unanimous support for the proposals were later disputed by other clubs.

Representatives of Accrington Stanley, Lincoln City and AFC Wimbledon said the comments were not an accurate reflection of the level of support for Project Big Picture."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would hope that the Albion will be very involved in any restructuring and how the EFL can be helped. We are a club, owned by an English fan (let’s not under rate this), who have been at both ends of the food chain and are held up as a model by many on how a football club should be run. Whatever anyone on here may think of PB he is an articulate and very well respected chief executive.

Whether that actually means anything in this power struggle is another matter.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Yep Jez Moxy (now CEO at Burton Albion) claimed that the decision from League 1 was unanimous then 3 clubs came out and said erm no it wasn’t...

He has previous for being a bit of a tool...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep Jez Moxy (now CEO at Burton Albion) claimed that the decision from League 1 was unanimous then 3 clubs came out and said erm no it wasn’t...

He has previous for being a bit of a tool...

I thought I recognised his name, but couldn't remember where from, so I looked it up.

He was CEO at Wolves when they got relegated at the Amex, and a lot of Wolves fans were putting the blame at his door.

Yup, a bit of a tool.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Here's a novel idea. Do everything suggested in the Big Picture proposal other than change the voting rights?

and reducing the size of the PL?

and allowing the 16th placed PL team an additional safeguard, by giving them a place in the play-offs (to avoid relegation).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s not rocket science. All the money in the premier league goes to the players. The more money it generates, the more money goes out of the game. Either cap wages or cap salary bills so that clubs work on budgets. Redistribute the money on a tiered basis throughout the leagues. This madness has got to stop.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
TBH I'd much rather that Liverpool and Manchester United drifted off to the apparent riches of a European Super League, than their American owners become the de facto controllers of football in this country. We're talking about the Glazers here - detested by Man United fans I thought - and who have saddled the biggest club in the world with staggering amounts of debt (and Ed Woodward).

If there is any chance that a cabal of greedy clubs become the game's administrators too, then football (in this country) will finally have eaten itself. How sad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
and reducing the size of the PL?

and allowing the 16th placed PL team an additional safeguard, by giving them a place in the play-offs (to avoid relegation).

Don't think they are majorly controversial. Personally I don't agree with them but the point of my post is to take away from the proposal what the big 6 want most out of it!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s not rocket science. All the money in the premier league goes to the players. The more money it generates, the more money goes out of the game. Either cap wages or cap salary bills so that clubs work on budgets. Redistribute the money on a tiered basis throughout the leagues. This madness has got to stop.

Bit emotive, Not all the money goes to the players but a large chunk does. If it didn't go to players, who should profit from the game? If you're talking about spreading it out the lower leagues, aren't they just spending it on players as well?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't think they are majorly controversial. Personally I don't agree with them but the point of my post is to take away from the proposal what the big 6 want most out of it!!

Those other elements are also what they want - reduce the size of the PL so they have more time for a lucrative expanded Champions League - and effectively reduce Promotion / Relegation to two clubs, to safeguard themselves that bit further, should they ever have a catastrophic season.

From the POV of a Championship club, these proposals are horrendous - a de facto pulling up of the drawbridge. They would have two additional ex-PL clubs dropping down to compete with (complete with accrued riches and parachute payments), and only two promotion spots available, without having to play-off against an existing PL squad.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit emotive, Not all the money goes to the players but a large chunk does. If it didn't go to players, who should profit from the game? If you're talking about spreading it out the lower leagues, aren't they just spending it on players as well?

Yes, but these too would be capped, depending on which league it was. My point is to stop the escalation of money within the game and make it affordable for all, whether that’s administrative, playing, watching live or on TV.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Salary caps would never work, if it happened the range of bonuses would just take you back to square one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here's a novel idea. Do everything suggested in the Big Picture proposal other than change the voting rights?

No. it's completely flawed and we're one of the clubs who would suffer the most. It's targetted at #TeamsLikeBrighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here