Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A good read (or listen) - suggestions

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Having most recently completed the Jack Reacher series of novels some in print some in audio, looking for suggestions for some books to read or listen to.

I'm currently reading/listening some John Grisham legal books, but need more than one author at a time for variety.

Any suggestions, (apart from romantic gooey stuff), welcome.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If you like the Jack Reacher novels try David Baldacci and his John Puller and Will Robbie series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If you like the Jack Reacher novels try David Baldacci and his John Puller and Will Robbie series.

100% this. I love the Puller novels and have completed the back catalogue of Reacher.

I also like the Bosch books (I think the first 10 or so were great and then it struggled a bit).

One other author I love and have got in to lately is Peter May. His Lewis trilogy is brilliant, Runaway is great as is the Silent Death. I've listened to loads of them on audible and the narrator (Peter Forbes) is really easy to listen to once you get used to the Scottish accent.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
In a similar vein Greg Hurwitz and his Orphan X series are top reads, as are the oft overlooked because they’re not by an American author, Victor the assassin series by Brit author Tom Wood, slick action well written.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Micheal Connelly , The Harry Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer sets of books are very good.
Jeffery Deaver, The Lincoln Rhyme series, starts withthe Bone Collector are excellent.
Stephen Leather, The Spider Shepherd series are good.
Ian Rankin, the Rebus books are great.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
On a completely different vein. If you like an easy read, funny and a bit out there then the ‘Rivers of London’ series by Ben Aaronovich is worth a read. In our present troubled time they are a great read.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Having most recently completed the Jack Reacher series of novels some in print some in audio, looking for suggestions for some books to read or listen to.

I'm currently reading/listening some John Grisham legal books, but need more than one author at a time for variety.

Any suggestions, (apart from romantic gooey stuff), welcome.

Scott Mariani. Ben Hope books. Brilliant. I started a Jack Reacher book, but didn’t finish it, as it was no where near as good as the Ben Hope books

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

100% this. I love the Puller novels and have completed the back catalogue of Reacher.

I also like the Bosch books (I think the first 10 or so were great and then it struggled a bit).

One other author I love and have got in to lately is Peter May. His Lewis trilogy is brilliant, Runaway is great as is the Silent Death. I've listened to loads of them on audible and the narrator (Peter Forbes) is really easy to listen to once you get used to the Scottish accent.

Thanks for those I will certainly have a delve.

In a similar vein Greg Hurwitz and his Orphan X series are top reads, as are the oft overlooked because they’re not by an American author, Victor the assassin series by Brit author Tom Wood, slick action well written.

Don't forget Lee Child is also British and certainly not overlooked :smile:

Micheal Connelly , The Harry Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer sets of books are very good.
Jeffery Deaver, The Lincoln Rhyme series, starts withthe Bone Collector are excellent.
Stephen Leather, The Spider Shepherd series are good.
Ian Rankin, the Rebus books are great.

Thanks for those, I actually have a Jeffrey Deaver sat in my Kindle library unread !

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Thanks for those, I actually have a Jeffrey Deaver sat in my Kindle library unread !

You must read Deaver's The Bone Collector first before reading his other ones, it sets the background for his future novels

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Non-fiction, the best account of the Battle of Britain is The Most Dangerous Enemy by Steven Bungay, an absolute masterpiece. There have been dozens of books about the BoB and I own many of them but this is the definitive one.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Don't forget Lee Child is also British and certainly not overlooked :smile

Although Child writes about an American, basis his stuff in America, the only country that officially exists in the thriller genre :wink: As much as we all love a good series and a character we can follow book on book, you’d think there was nothing beyond Baladacci and Child out there, and it seems like Baladacci (or whoever writes his later books) long ago ran out of fresh ideas.

CJ Box is another decent American shout, although his books can also feel a bit samey if you read too many of them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I had completely forgotten that anything by Tom Rob Smith is also bloody superb. There just isn't enough of it

Child 44, Secret Speech and Agent 6 are a great trilogy and not done justice by the film in my opinion.

The Farm is an incredible stand alone novel

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Has anyone mentioned Linwood Barclay and Val McDermid? Both worth a read.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Ant and Dec - Once Upon a Tyne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here