Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mesut Ozil's loyalty bonus

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arsenal paid Mesut Ozil £8m loyalty bonus in September

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-8m-loyalty-bonus-in-september-a4569311.html

The Athletic reports the 31-year-old was handed the hefty sum as part of an arrangement negotiated when he signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal in January 2018.

The bonus was written into his contract as an incentive to keep him at Emirates Stadium until the end of his contract, but things have played out very differently since Ozil put pen to paper on fresh terms.

I think this deserves a small to medium :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hope he offered to forego the payment, so the club could re-employ all those they made redundant last month.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
People are only bothered because Arteta doesn’t want to play him. Likely Aubameyang got the same

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
hope he offered to forego the payment, so the club could re-employ all those they made redundant last month.

Or Arteta could have refused signing Partey to do so ?

Nonsense argument

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Or Arteta could have refused signing Partey to do so ?

Nonsense argument

perhaps you are unaware of the Ozil's offer to pay for the mascot being made redundant? 8m would comfortably cover all the 55 redundancies.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Aliensimpsons-1.png

He still gets cameo appearance pay outs from his Simpson debut.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's unfortunate that the news of this bonus is cutting into his positive news about rehiring Gunnersaurus out of his own pocket. Incredible coverage of that story really, considering he's on £350k per week. He's bleeding the club in a similar, but less significant, way to players like Phil Jones hanging around at Man Utd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
perhaps you are unaware of the Ozil's offer to pay for the mascot being made redundant? 8m would comfortably cover all the 55 redundancies.

No I’m aware of that. But why should *he* do more? In fact what’s wrong with Stan Kroenke with a net worth of $8bn who has more than all of them ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's unfortunate that the news of this bonus is cutting into his positive news about rehiring Gunnersaurus out of his own pocket. Incredible coverage of that story really, considering he's on £350k per week. He's bleeding the club in a similar, but less significant, way to players like Phil Jones hanging around at Man Utd.

Are you suggesting Ozil and Jones rip up their contracts for the good for Arsenal & Utd, respectively?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
No I’m aware of that. But why should *he* do more?

he shouldnt need to. this just shows how *cheap* publicity stunt it was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't really get all this ire aimed at Ozil. They put a contract in front of him that every. single. oneofus. would have signed. He's not refused to play. He's not refused to train. He's not asked for a transfer. But for whatever reason the manager doesn't fancy him (it happens, not least here at BHA). So he's left on the sidelines picking peanuts out of poo while the club shovels money into his trousers. Nice work if you can get it.

Slag him all you like, but its AFC's fault for chucking ridiculous money at the guy. Whats he supposed to do, tear up his contract and walk the Earth, like in Kung-Fu ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Let’s be honest to - this relates to a contract he signed with them in 2018... only 2 years ago.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Are you suggesting Ozil and Jones rip up their contracts for the good for Arsenal & Utd, respectively?

In the context of the redundancies, it smells particularly bad....but, yes, you can’t blame the player for honouring his contract.
It is my (perhaps naive) view, that while most players maybe preoccupied by who earns what, playing football is their First and true love.
In a few decades time, even if he is surrounded by limitless wealth, maybe Ozil will regret not prioritising minutes on the pitch. They are surely there for him to take, if he agreed to reduce his wage demands making him more appealing to another club on loan.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In the context of the redundancies, it smells particularly bad....but, yes, you can’t blame the player for honouring his contract.
It is my (perhaps naive) view, that while most players maybe preoccupied by who earns what, playing football is their First and true love.
In a few decades time, even if he is surrounded by limitless wealth, maybe Ozil will regret not prioritising minutes on the pitch. They are surely there for him to take, if he agreed to reduce his wage demands.

I don't understand this. You seem to be suggesting that if he were paid less then he'd get more game time. I don't follow that argument at all, I'd say, if anything, it's the opposite.

Arteta clearly doesn't fancy him and that would be the case if he were on £350 a week

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don't understand this. You seem to be suggesting that if he were paid less then he'd get more game time. I don't follow that argument at all, I'd say, if anything, it's the opposite.

Arteta clearly doesn't fancy him and that would be the case if he were on £350 a week

I meant, he’d be able to join another club. From what I’ve read, his wages have been prohibitive . I didn’t make that clear , so fair point. Changed it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't really get all this ire aimed at Ozil. They put a contract in front of him that every. single. oneofus. would have signed. He's not refused to play. He's not refused to train. He's not asked for a transfer. But for whatever reason the manager doesn't fancy him (it happens, not least here at BHA). So he's left on the sidelines picking peanuts out of poo while the club shovels money into his trousers. Nice work if you can get it.

Slag him all you like, but its AFC's fault for chucking ridiculous money at the guy. Whats he supposed to do, tear up his contract and walk the Earth, like in Kung-Fu ?

Well yes it is, but I do understand the view of Arsenal fans which is given the amount of money chucked at him, if he would at least break into a jog occasionally that would be nice

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well yes it is, but I do understand the view of Arsenal fans which is given the amount of money chucked at him, if he would at least break into a jog occasionally that would be nice

While I agree that the contract made him rather lazy, the fans pretty much forced Arsenal/Wenger to offer it. They were whining and moaning loudly about Arsenal not keeping their fancy schmancy players and going with more unknown players instead and this mega contract was quite obviously given to Özil to prevent them from going against their own club even more. A desperate move by the club in order to please their increasingly rabid fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here