Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Telegrams

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Have you ever received a telegram? And if so what was it for?

Surprised in these days of modern technology telegrams still exist and my good friend Giles received one last week.

:ohmy:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Telegram.jpg

This is how I receive my telegrams...

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
My stepdad started working for the post office during WW2. His first job was to deliver the telegrams in what is a small town and rural community and normally he was to to wait to bring a response back. That was unless it was the telegram with news of a death from the war, then he was told by the postmaster not to wait for a response. After a while if he was seen cycling down the street in his uniform every woman would retreat back in doors. What a job to give a 14yr boy - he could still describe it 70 years later

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have you ever received a telegram? And if so what was it for?

Surprised in these days of modern technology telegrams still exist and my good friend Giles received one last week.

:ohmy:

Was the telegram from Polly confirming their final divorce settlement

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I went through my Dad’s stuff after he died five years ago. I found a telegram he’d kept; sent by my mother to him when he was serving in Vietnam when I was 11. It read: “G1976 seriously ill. Don’t worry.” They next communicated five months later. It was a different world in the olden days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here