Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsene Wenger interview - something about football that is uplifting

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well it is to me anyway, in these dark times.

Wenger turned me from someone who disliked everything about Arsenal to them being “almost” my second team when we were in the lower leagues.

I was more likely to watch a game involving Arsenal than any other team, other than the Albion.

Maybe he hung on too long but was a shining light in football for me

Worth a read imo

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54513321

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Whilst Ferguson might have been the most successful manager of all time, Wenger had more class, seemed a really nice guy, and had teams playing more attractive football. I am sure most Arsenal fans will look back on his time as the best in their lifetimes despite his last couple of years there.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I was very lucky to have Arsenal as my local club growing up in the mid-00s and (in large part due to the fickle nature of the fanbase) it has always been easy to get a ticket when I wasn't busy watching the albion.
Arsene Wenger's teams were sensational to watch, even when they weren't winning anything.

Reading that article is really interesting and though his proposals for the development of the game seem wacky right now, I think in a time with less proposed upheaval in the game, they wouldn't be the worst ideas. When no fans can go to the ground and the big six are attempting a coup it probably isn't the right time to fundamentally change how the game is played on the pitch though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well it is to me anyway, in these dark times.

Wenger turned me from someone who disliked everything about Arsenal to them being “almost” my second team when we were in the lower leagues.

I was more likely to watch a game involving Arsenal than any other team, other than the Albion.

Maybe he hung on too long but was a shining light in football for me

Worth a read imo

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54513321

I love Wenger - Arsenal fans forcing him out of the club was one of the ugliest shit I've seen in football.

Read this excellent article yesterday: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/11/arsene-wenger-arsenal-manager-football

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Agree completely with the OP. Some of the goals they scored in that period 5-10 years ago were just sensational and their matches memorable - even if they did sometimes end up losing 3-4! There were times when Santi Cazorla in particular seemed to have the ball glued to his feet as he weaved through a defence. Even Jack Wilshere scored at least one memorable team goal. Wenger is/was a football genius and I look forward to reading his book when released(although I’ll probably wait for the cheaper paperback version! It doesn’t matter to me that he inherited that defence built around Tony Adams or that Bergkamp wasn’t his signing. He got the best out of them and Adams, Keown, Dixon and others credit Arsene with prolonging their career significantly. Top man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here