[Football] Chris Hughton interview

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
IMG_6572.jpeg

Yes actually, Andrew.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There were A LOT of our own fans who thought it was a terrible idea getting rid of Hughton.

And a fair few of those fans were on here saying as much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There were A LOT of our own fans who thought it was a terrible idea getting rid of Hughton.

And a fair few of those fans were on here saying as much.
Yes I did, and to a degree still do.

Regardless of how well it has gone, I didn’t like the lack of loyalty to someone who had got us up, kept us up with little budget, and some poor signings (Gross apart).

Arguably, the style of football, yes it was defensive, but necessary given the personnel. How many of Hughton’s offensive players survived after a season of Potter?………Solly? AJ? Propper? The latter two not playing much…..

However, it was the right decision from a business and footballing entertainment standpoint, and in the same way Hughton’s success shouldn’t be for.gotten, neither should the way Potter turned the team around.

Just delighted we’ve reached RdZ.

Last edited:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes I did, and to a degree still do.

Regardless of how well it has gone, I didn’t like the lack of loyalty to someone who had got us up, kept us up with little budget, and some poor signings (Gross apart).

Arguably, the style of football, yes it was defensive, but necessary given the personnel. How many of Hughton’s offensive players survived after a season of Potter?………Solly? AJ? Propper? The latter two not playing much…..

However, it was the right decision from a business and footballing entertainment standpoint, and in the same way Hughton’s success shouldn’t be for.gotten, neither should the way Potter turned the team around.

Just delighted we’ve reached RdZ.
All reasonable. I was the other end of the scale. I will always appreciate what Hughton did for us, but sometimes change is necessary to progress and I’d felt it was necessary for a good 6 months by the time it actually happened. I actually felt we showed him too much loyalty.

He wasn’t improving players, his system was predictable and antiquated in many ways, and the football was atrocious by the end of his era.

I also have issues with the concept of loyalty in football - I’m not sure it exists really, and if it does it tends to be a one way street. It’s even at the stage now where a lot of football fans aren’t loyal to one club. It’s a results based business, and Hughton had stopped delivering anything beyond the bare minimum.

I agree with your ultimate point though - neither Hughton nor Potter should be forgotten for what they achieved with us considering the context of where we were at. Both brought us the best years this club has ever had, until this one of course.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All reasonable. I was the other end of the scale. I will always appreciate what Hughton did for us, but sometimes change is necessary to progress and I’d felt it was necessary for a good 6 months by the time it actually happened. I actually felt we showed him too much loyalty.

He wasn’t improving players, his system was predictable and antiquated in many ways, and the football was atrocious by the end of his era.

I also have issues with the concept of loyalty in football - I’m not sure it exists really, and if it does it tends to be a one way street. It’s even at the stage now where a lot of football fans aren’t loyal to one club. It’s a results based business, and Hughton had stopped delivering anything beyond the bare minimum.

I agree with your ultimate point though - neither Hughton nor Potter should be forgotten for what they achieved with us considering the context of where we were at. Both brought us the best years this club has ever had, until this one of course.
I think this has always been the case. Going back to the 70s, we had around 14,000 die hards. I would imagine it is around 20,000 now. The rest, which is 8,000 in the Amex, and tens of thousands in the Brighton area, are not all that fussed and like lots of teams.

As for attitude to present and former staff, it probably reflects the person's general attitude to other people. There is no fundamental truth in there.

Best wishes to Chris Hughton who took over the Ghana national team as manager this February.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I confess to being one who was pleased to see him sacked, he had reached his sell by date. However it seems it was done in a rather unsavoury way if rumours are to be believed. The fact that he hasn’t been back and lauded on the pitch is strange and would add credence to the rumours imo.

He is certainly an Albion legend who did wonders in getting us promoted in style after heart break and he did keep us up for two seasons. Nothing should detract from that, I’d love to see him come back and get the warm welcome he would 100% get.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Here’s a more recent one with Chris last week.

Always a true gentleman. Was shocked at his sacking at the time but obviously paid off big time now with Captain Hindsight glasses on.

Fortunately Mr Bloom has Captain Foresight glasses.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
He always achieved his key objectives didn’t he? His first job was keep us in the Championship, tick. The next job was reach the play-offs, tick. The following season, after a contract extension, was play-offs minimum which he beat with promotion. The next job was stay in the Premier, tick. the second season was also stay in the Premier, tick, just! Also should be remembered we reached an FA Cup semi-final which we only lost 1 - 0. Having said that the last six months the football was dire but possibly because of the FA Cup distraction? I don’t know but he was always a gentleman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here