Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dentist Query - Any one a dentist or know how the system works ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So Mrs WS is a registered NHS patient with a local dentist practice. Has been there a number of years. She cracked a tooth back in June and phoned up to see a dentist. "Sorry Mrs WS, due to Covid we're only seeing emergencies and a cracked tooth isn't an emergency.". The tooth has now cracked in half ( not a pleasant sight ! ). So Mrs WS phones up today and is told she will have to pay £45 just to see a dentist. "So, you no longer treat NHS patients then ?" - "Oh yes we do, it's just our credits have run out and and so we need to charge. We do charge a reduced rate though.".

What the actual fvck ?? Don't get me started on the fact health preserving dentistry should be FREE on the NHS anyway and that ALL state trained dentists should take NHS patients anyway. So, please, someone in the know explain to me how this system works ( I use the word 'works' very loosely ). As far as I can see dentists are nothing more than money sucking private enterprises. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Find another NHS dentist? Or pay up?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Find another NHS dentist? Or pay up?

Finding NHS dentists isn't easy and I see no reason to pay 'privately' just because dentists want to earn a shed load of money.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry to hear about the missus problem, if you wait long enough Bold Seagull will turn up and tell you all you need to know about dentistry and their systems, and he will not charge you a thing.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Sorry to hear about the missus problem, if you wait long enough Bold Seagull will turn up and tell you all you need to know about dentistry and their systems, and he will not charge you a thing.

Is he a dentist ?

An update - a couple of NHS dentists have said that they are only allowed to treat current patients and the NHS helpline were next to useless.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Is he a dentist ?

An update - a couple of NHS dentists have said that they are only allowed to treat current patients and the NHS helpline were next to useless.

No - it is Mouldy's idea of "Bantz" which definitely isn't a dig against another poster out of context. He has dictionary definitions to back it up and everything. Definitely Bantz. No doubt about it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A minor aside, but personal experience has taught me a good private dentist is a better professional and investment than anyone else. They all charge like wounded Rhino, but the best ones also do whats best for your mouth/gums/jaw & teeth.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Finding NHS dentists isn't easy and I see no reason to pay 'privately' just because dentists want to earn a shed load of money.

Hi, not a dentist but used to work in the industry. Unless things have changed dentists are awarded an NHS contract each year to do a set number of UDAs (units of dental activity), the number of units is supposed to be determined based on the number of NHS dentists in the area and projections of dwmand.

Once a dentist has completed all of their UDAs they have to negotiate a change to the contract in order to be able to do more NHS work before the end of the year or they have to wait till the new year to get their new allocation of UDAs.
A contract will only be changed if there are other dentists who are not going to complete their contracted UDAs.

D

Deleted member 2719

Is he a dentist ?

No, sorry he is probably busy at the moment knocking up a vaccine for covid. He will be won't take long.:hilton:

There is a dentist on here, I am sure he will give you some advice when he see the thread.

Hence the banter bump up I did for you.:thumbsup:

No - it is Mouldy's idea of "Bantz" which definitely isn't a dig against another poster out of context. He has dictionary definitions to back it up and everything. Definitely Bantz. No doubt about it.

I don't do Bantz, I just stick to good old fashion banter.
I noticed you like a bit of banter yourself, "Ooh, you are awful, but I like you". :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Hi, not a dentist but used to work in the industry. Unless things have changed dentists are awarded an NHS contract each year to do a set number of UDAs (units of dental activity), the number of units is supposed to be determined based on the number of NHS dentists in the area and projections of dwmand.

Once a dentist has completed all of their UDAs they have to negotiate a change to the contract in order to be able to do more NHS work before the end of the year or they have to wait till the new year to get their new allocation of UDAs.
A contract will only be changed if there are other dentists who are not going to complete their contracted UDAs.

Thank you. This isn't a dig at you but that is a disgusting system. So if you're the unfortunate patient towards the end of the year you can't get treatment, yet no other NHS dentist can do the treatment because you're registered elsewhere. It's a shambles.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I’m booked into my Rustington Sainsbury’s (Private) dentist for a check up and clean. Comes out of my yearly plan so no charge! Or so I thought. I have now been informed I must pay £34 for PPE For the dentists protection. Unbelievable.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
YouTube it. I'm sure you can super-glue a bit of ceramic in there or something. I performed a quadruple heart bypass on myself on Saturday morning and in the afternoon I worked out how to use the washing machine. YouTube is a wonderful resource.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Sorry to hear that,"
I have exactly the same problem happened in april. Phoned dentist, they said "no chance call again in October". So i called again last week, answer call in the new year". I've missed 1 appointment in the last 20 years ffs.
My son was referred to nhs as urgent (he has terrible toothache) received reply after 3 months to say we will be in touch asap.
Yes, you can go private but at least double nhs prices !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hi, not a dentist but used to work in the industry. Unless things have changed dentists are awarded an NHS contract each year to do a set number of UDAs (units of dental activity), the number of units is supposed to be determined based on the number of NHS dentists in the area and projections of demand.

With all the appointments cancelled since the start of lockdown in March, I'd be surprised if dentists had completed their UDAs, surely?

Thank you. This isn't a dig at you but that is a disgusting system. So if you're the unfortunate patient towards the end of the year you can't get treatment, yet no other NHS dentist can do the treatment because you're registered elsewhere. It's a shambles.
Are you in an exempt group? - of not, £45 seems pretty good compared to the £62.10 charge for band 2 NHS treatment. The charges seem to have rocketed this year - last year I was only charged £45 for my band 2 treatment.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So Mrs WS is a registered NHS patient with a local dentist practice. Has been there a number of years. She cracked a tooth back in June and phoned up to see a dentist. "Sorry Mrs WS, due to Covid we're only seeing emergencies and a cracked tooth isn't an emergency.". The tooth has now cracked in half ( not a pleasant sight ! ). So Mrs WS phones up today and is told she will have to pay £45 just to see a dentist. "So, you no longer treat NHS patients then ?" - "Oh yes we do, it's just our credits have run out and and so we need to charge. We do charge a reduced rate though.".

What the actual fvck ?? Don't get me started on the fact health preserving dentistry should be FREE on the NHS anyway and that ALL state trained dentists should take NHS patients anyway. So, please, someone in the know explain to me how this system works ( I use the word 'works' very loosely ). As far as I can see dentists are nothing more than money sucking private enterprises. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

You can go to any NHS dentist you want, it doesn't have to be local.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/dentists/how-to-find-an-nhs-dentist/

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On the basis that toothache is just about the most painful thing in the world we opted for a dental plan with Westdene Dental Practice. It’s a monthly charge but it’s been worth the money over the years. You still have to pay extras like crowns, root treatment and they don’t do implants (that’s pretty expensive).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Are you in an exempt group? - of not, £45 seems pretty good compared to the £62.10 charge for band 2 NHS treatment. The charges seem to have rocketed this year - last year I was only charged £45 for my band 2 treatment.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...how-much-will-i-pay-for-nhs-dental-treatment/

Sadly Mrs WS is not exempt despite being unemployed. Personally I don't think £45 just to see a dentist for 10 minutes when you are an NHS patient is 'pretty good'.

You can go to any NHS dentist you want, it doesn't have to be local.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/dentists/how-to-find-an-nhs-dentist/

Not according to the three NHS dentists Mrs WS phoned today. You have to be registered with them to get treatment. None of the three were prepared to register her. Yet her current practice - HOVE FAMILY DENTAL ( thought I'd throw that in there as they appear to be scum ) - won't treat her on the NHS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sadly Mrs WS is not exempt despite being unemployed. Personally I don't think £45 just to see a dentist for 10 minutes when you are an NHS patient is 'pretty good'.

Not according to the three NHS dentists Mrs WS phoned today. You have to be registered with them to get treatment. None of the three were prepared to register her. Yet her current practice - HOVE FAMILY DENTAL ( thought I'd throw that in there as they appear to be scum ) - won't treat her on the NHS.

On that link is a list of NHS dentists, I would suggest keep trying.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dentistry has always existed in a bizarre halfway house between NHS and private. even if you're NHS you still pay on the preset schedule, so £45 seems reasonable.

and lol at suggestions of changing to another NHS dentist, like the proverbial hens teeth. just staying on an dentist records requires a degree of interaction unknown to other fields of service, a byzantine system.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
dentistry has always existed in a bizarre halfway house between NHS and private. even if you're NHS you still pay on the preset schedule, so £45 seems reasonable.

and lol at suggestions of changing to another NHS dentist, like the proverbial hens teeth. just staying on an dentist records requires a degree of interaction unknown to other fields of service, a byzantine system.

£45 is double the NHS price. I went this morning and paid £22.70.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here