Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle on furlough.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am not sure if this subject has been covered on here but surely Newcastle should not have been allowed to sign new players whilst the club is on furlough. Has anyone worked out what sort of money this has cost Tony Bloom for example ?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I am not sure if this subject has been covered on here but surely Newcastle should not have been allowed to sign new players whilst the club is on furlough. Has anyone worked out what sort of money this has cost Tony Bloom for example ?

Different budgets that cover different areas of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It’s morally disgraceful, but nothing anyone can do. Thank God we have a classy football club and hierarchy - I’d be embarrassed if we did that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No different to Spurs getting a £175m government bail out then spending £80m in the transfer window, while being owned by a multi billionaire.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Arsenal did he same - laid off a load of staff to save money (even the mascot) and then spent millions on new players... seems so out of touch when many people can no longer afford even the basics.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think it's a bit over the top re Spurs. They've got a loan which they are going to have to repay including some interest. Does seem though that their owners aren't quite as benevolent as TB.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Spurs stated the money "will not be used for player acquisitions" and instead to ensure the club has "financial flexibility and additional working capital," while also helping repay the debt on their new £1 billion stadium.

Surely they wouldn't have any money available for player acquisitions (Bale) if they had to fund their "financial flexibility and additional working capital," themselves.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Also given that the Bank of England is a public body that must answer to the people of the UK through Parliament, I don't remember this getting much publicity at the time.

Whilst football clubs are businesses, they are not normal businesses and it is not appropriate in my view to use a public governmental body to prop up a Premier League football club. Why couldn't they fund the loans privately or use some Joe Lewis' billions?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This is the key bit for me. Who makes the rules and who enforces them? All the while all the 'sheep' carry on paying to watch games (on TV and/or in the ground) those who run the game will take that cash flow and 'maximise their position'.

That said I thought the clubs who used the furlough initially backed off after a few days when they realised that taking the massive piss was not a good look? ???

Edit: internet search has nothing on this since the end of April. The link below is comprehensive. I am not sure the government policed the furlough payments so if football clubs (OK, Newcastle, er, that's it, with the caveat noted above about season ticket payments) took the piss they were not alone. I may be a sheep but I see clubs as businesses operating in a capitalist society so I don't expect them to disadvantage themselves to the benefit of competitors. The buck stops with FIFA, the EPL and the government. Incompetent, self-interested and incompetent, respectively.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...mier-league-clubs-furlough-pay-cuts-deferrals

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the key bit for me. Who makes the rules and who enforces them? All the while all the 'sheep' carry on paying to watch games (on TV and/or in the ground) those who run the game will take that cash flow and 'maximise their position'.

That said I thought the clubs who used the furlough initially backed off after a few days when they realised that taking the massive piss was not a good look? ???

Edit: internet search has nothing on this since the end of April. The link below is comprehensive. I am not sure the government policed the furlough payments so if football clubs (OK, Newcastle, er, that's it, with the caveat noted above about season ticket payments) took the piss they were not alone. I may be a sheep but I see clubs as businesses operating in a capitalist society so I don't expect them to disadvantage themselves to the benefit of competitors. The buck stops with FIFA, the EPL and the government. Incompetent, self-interested and incompetent, respectively.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...mier-league-clubs-furlough-pay-cuts-deferrals

Bmuff, Newcastle, Norwich and Sheffield Utd used the scheme in the end.

Whilst Spuds imposed 20% pay cut on 550 staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here