Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] National stadiums of the British Isles

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Which of the national football stadiums within the British Isles is your favourite and why I have no idea how to create a poll

Aviva Stadium Republic of Ireland
The Cardiff City Stadium Wales
Hampden Park Scotland
Wembley Stadium England
Windsor Park Northan Ireland

For what it's worth my favourite is the Aviva stadium followed by Hampden Park, Windsor Park, The Cardiff City Stadium with Wembley in last place which I find is a soul less stadium and I really miss the Wembley towers the old Wembley way with the toutes stalls selling scarfs the wooden benches and the steps up to the Royal box

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which of the national football stadiums within the British Isles is your favourite and why I have no idea how to create a poll

Hampden Park Scotland
Wembley Stadium England

For what it's worth my favourite is the Aviva stadium followed by Hampden Park, Windsor Park, The Cardiff City Stadium with Wembley in last place which I find is a soul less stadium and I really miss the Wembley towers the old Wembley way with the toutes stalls selling scarfs the wooden benches and the steps up to the Royal box

Aviva Stadium Republic of Ireland - it would be beautiful, but has a tiny end stand that makes the Amex NS look like The Spion Kop, so no.

The Cardiff City Stadium Wales - very good sight lines, fans close to the pitch, but only 74,500.

Hampden Park Scotland - I’ve been there. Fans too far from the pitch, a low pitch to the tier.

Wembley Stadium England - immense size, but it seems a bit sterile.

Windsor Park Northan Ireland - cute, modernised.

I’d go for Dublin architecturally, but beaten by Cardiff for atmosphere.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Aviva Stadium Republic of Ireland - it would be beautiful, but has a tiny end stand that makes the Amex NS look like The Spion Kop, so no.

The Cardiff City Stadium Wales - very good sight lines, fans close to the pitch, but only 74,500.

Hampden Park Scotland - I’ve been there. Fans too far from the pitch, a low pitch to the tier.

Wembley Stadium England - immense size, but it seems a bit sterile.

Windsor Park Northan Ireland - cute, modernised.

I’d go for Dublin architecturally, but beaten by Cardiff for atmosphere.

You’ve got the wrong Cardiff stadium. Cardiff City is where Cardiff city FC play. Millennium is used for Rugby these days and where we beat Bristol City via a Leon Knight penalty many moons ago!

My order is:

1) Wembley - iconic. Immense stadium and has the best facilities.
2) Avila Stadium - looks amazing. I’ve never been to judge on match day. Looks unique with one tiny end, but still has a high capacity. Been to Dublin though and it looks amazing amongst the city skyline.
3) Windsor park - full of history and the renovations have been done well. A proper ground.
Joint 4th) Cardiff and Hampden. Both fine stadiums but don’t neither excite me. Haven’t been to Hampden though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Vote here for the old Hampden Park which was decrepit but absolutely massive. Went to one Scotland England match with my dad that had near enough 140,000 fans roaring away. Astounding atmosphere. I think it was the same year I went there with my brother to watch Queen's Park v Partick Thistle with about 200 fans rattling around inside that big old ground :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’ve got the wrong Cardiff stadium. Cardiff City is where Cardiff city FC play. Millennium is used for Rugby these days and where we beat Bristol City via a Leon Knight penalty many moons ago!

My order is:

1) Wembley - iconic. Immense stadium and has the best facilities.
2) Avila Stadium - looks amazing. I’ve never been to judge on match day. Looks unique with one tiny end, but still has a high capacity
3) Windsor park - full of history and the renovations have been done well.
Joint 4th) Cardiff and Hampden. Both fine stadiums but don’t really excite me.

I bow to your knowledge.

I thought Bale, Joe Allen and Ramsey teams had played at the Millennium a few times? The Welsh FA playing games at Cardiff City’s stadium because the public don’t now attend in numbers.

I’d put Cardiff City’s ground at rock bottom. A bland bowl, with the awful looking second tier to the main stand. That is, lacking the expensive looks of the Aviva or Amex.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vote here for the old Hampden Park which was decrepit but absolutely massive. Went to one Scotland England match with my dad that had near enough 140,000 fans roaring away. Astounding atmosphere. I think it was the same year I went there with my brother to watch Queen's Park v Partick Thistle with about 200 fans rattling around inside that big old ground :lol:

I went just after the Scottish FA had contrived to turn the colossal bowl with eg the atmospheric 40,000 ‘Rangers End‘ into a 52,000 soulless stadium, but still with the front row of seats miles from the pitch.

A screw up.

(I remember 120k to £140k at Auld Enemy matches .... magical).

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Been to Hampden 3 times and the the vast open terraces win it for me ,the atmosphere was electric in 87 v England.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I bow to your knowledge.

I thought Bale, Joe Allen and Ramsey teams had played at the Millennium a few times? The Welsh FA playing games at Cardiff City’s stadium because the public don’t now attend in numbers.

I’d put Cardiff City’s ground at rock bottom. A bland bowl, with the awful looking second tier to the main stand. That is, lacking the expensive looks of the Aviva or Amex.

Just gave it a google and found it quite interesting to be honest. Traditionally Wales played at many grounds, but mainly the Racecourse ground (94 games) and Ninan Park (88). When the Millennium opened in 2000 it became the national stadium. But a decline in attendances and poor performances on the pitch (which the Welsh blamed on the ground) saw them switch it up to smaller grounds. Even the Parc y Scarlets ground has been used 3 times, a relatively small rugby ground. The Cardiff City stadium has hosted 34 games since it opened in 2009 and is considered their home ground. But the Millennium stadium was used again in 2018 vs Finland (I assume it was a big game). The 38th game at the Millennium.

The Welsh have even played home internationals at Anfield! 3 of them.

Agree though, the Cardiff City Stadium is rather bland. Very functional for what it does but nothing compared to the Millennium.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just gave it a google and found it quite interesting to be honest. Traditionally Wales played at many grounds, but mainly the Racecourse ground (94 games) and Ninan Park (88). When the Millennium opened in 2000 it became the national stadium. But a decline in attendances and poor performances on the pitch (which the Welsh blamed on the ground) saw them switch it up to smaller grounds. Even the Parc y Scarlets ground has been used 3 times, a relatively small rugby ground. The Cardiff City stadium has hosted 34 games since it opened in 2009 and is considered their home ground. But the Millennium stadium was used again in 2018 vs Finland (I assume it was a big game). The 38th game at the Millennium.

The Welsh have even played home internationals at Anfield! 3 of them.

Agree though, the Cardiff City Stadium is rather bland. Very functional for what it does but nothing compared to the Millennium.

Being older than you, I remember in the 70’s and 80’s Wales alternating. A flying volley by Mark Hughes for Wales at Wrexham, and a very famous match at Anfield in 77 where awful officials handed Scotland a critical pen in THE world cup qualifier and denying Wales. Almost all of the huge gate were Scots.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

Hampden Park Scotland
Wembley Stadium England

My favorite is probably the Ireland stadium, probably because of the college football games (so I have a connection) there and the lack of greatness at the other stadiums. I know they’re supposed to be large and for a specific purpose but they just look like generic stadiums really. Wembley is number 2.

aviva-stadium.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hampden Park Scotland
Wembley Stadium England

A quiz? Let me guess... OK I get it. 50-60 years old.

What's my prize? A ticket to the future would be nice :wink:

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Another vote for Old Hampden in the 80's. Follower of Scotland and Dundee Utd matches. Results never great but atmosphere amazing.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Being older than you, I remember in the 70’s and 80’s Wales alternating. A flying volley by Mark Hughes for Wales at Wrexham, and a very famous match at Anfield in 77 where awful officials handed Scotland a critical pen in THE world cup qualifier and denying Wales. Almost all of the huge gate were Scots.

Scotland got away with a dubious penalty in 1985 game too for the 1986 WC qualification. The night Jock Stein died. Also in Cardiff.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I know the thread specified football stadiums but the best one I have been to is Twickenham RFU .
For a fans view of the game, accessibility and facilities I think it is great.
It is a pity we do not share , since National Stadia are under used

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
1) Wembley - Soulless and a pig to get to but its still Wembley
2) Avila Stadium - It's nice enough, saw Cork City there but the small end is weird. Croke Park is much better.
3) Windsor park - Went in the 80's bomb went off up the road, but hell of an atmosphere.
4) Cardiff - Like that its in the CC and a great day on our visit facilities aren't all that.
5) Hampden - Everything about it is crap. Miles out, hideous view, horrible facilities and stupid dressed locals. England beat em both times I went mind :lol:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I know old timers don't like anything modern but Wembley is beautiful and is hands down one of the most aesthetically pleasing stadiums in the world. Iconic stadium up there with the Nou Camp and San Siro for iconic football stadiums

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Wembley Stadium England - By far the best only thing bad about this stadium is the atmosphere, on everyone's stadium bucketlist.
Aviva Stadium Republic of Ireland - Beautiful stadium, love the weird small stand adds a uniqueness, comfortably in second place.
The Cardiff City Stadium Wales - Not good, clearly a club stadium, should just stick with the principality stadium it's much better and is genuinely a world class stadium.
Hampden Park Scotland - Never been so not sure what it's like in person looks distant from the pitch and ugly in pictures though, not for me.
Windsor Park Northan Ireland - Decent looking little stadium but doesn't have that iconic look national stadiums should go for, feel like you get stadiums like this in the championship and league one at least Hampden Park has a national feeling too it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here