Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Screening games at grounds

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
EFL clubs looking at screening games at grounds. Maybe this is something the Albion could look at. Home games possibly too problematic, but they could screen away games? Could use the bars and maybe seating in stands with big screens like previous screenings they have done.

Outdoor in the stands arguably safer than pubs and cinemas where games are currently being shown.

Story here from The Telegraph-

English football stepped up its fight to get fans back into stadiums on Wednesday night after drawing up plans for the mass public screenings of matches.

In a move that saw the Government’s refusal to lift the ban on spectators attending games ridiculed on social media, the English Football League wrote to its clubs asking them to provide details of how they could safely stage such screenings inside their own grounds.

The letter was sent less than 24 hours after the Football Association, Premier League, and EFL piled pressure on ministers to review the fan ban in an open letter to supporters. The latter even promoted a petition on the matter that parliament must now consider for debate by MPs after the number of people signing it crashed through the 100,000 mark.

The fact games are already being screened in pubs and cinemas amid the on-going spectator ban, and that major arts and music venues have been told they can run socially-distanced events indoors, has united English football in opposition to the on-going restrictions.

According to Wednesday's EFL letter to its clubs, the public screening of matches could form part of a “hospitality package” sold to fans, something that would allow teams to generate some desperately-needed revenue and also prove they can safely welcome back a limited number of supporters.

Clubs were told any areas used for a screening “must not have sight of the pitch”, must comply with Government guidance in relation to hospitality businesses, and must ensure those attending do not enter areas of the stadium subject to strict coronavirus match-day protocols.

Under the EFL’s broadcast contract with Sky Sports, its clubs were already allowed to screen their home matches inside their stadiums – but not their away games.

The letter revealed Sky was “broadly supportive” of allowing the latter matches to be shown as well at the current time.

However, it also made clear clubs would have to convince their local authority to allow fans to attend such screenings, something teams in local lockdown areas are likely to find harder than those outside them.

Non-league Wealdstone were last week forced to cancel planned screenings of home matches this season amid concerns those attending would be too close to the action – although they are still set to show away games on site.

Reponses to the EFL’s letter will be discussed at divisional meetings next week with a view to such screenings starting as quickly as possible.

The Premier League declined to comment on whether its clubs were also planning on screening matches at their own stadiums, while the Government did not respond to requests for comment.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden last month raised a glimmer of hope that crowds may yet be able to return to stadiums thanks to “technological innovations”.

Those could include a so-called freedom pass involving on-day Covid testing and the German stadium system which tracks local infection rates over a seven-day period.

However, Professor Gabriel Scally, president of the epidemiology and public health section of the Royal Society of Medicine, on Wednesday warned fans may be forced to wait until a vaccine is available before grounds are full again.

“I don’t think we have enough evidence yet that these things are effective,” he said of freedom passes and rapid testing kits.

Advertisement
The member of Independent Sage added: “I can see that the grounds might well get permission to have more spectators socially distanced inside, but I still think it would rapidly fall over with things like transport and the pubs nearby.

“I don’t think we’re going to see full crowds back until after vaccination. The amount of shepherding that is needed will be amazing. Will football fans avoid the pubs, trains or tubes? It’ll all fall over. It’s like the airlines – there are really not many cases of transmission actually on an aeroplane, but the problem is always people getting to the airports and getting away from the airports. For sport, none of this has been resolved with the various ideas.”

Government sources, meanwhile, were on Wednesday expecting the Premier League to agree a bailout of the EFL worth up to £150m.

Telegraph Sport has been told the figures currently being proposed are a grant in the region of £40m and a loan of around £110m – well short of the £250m the EFL claims to need if the entire season is played behind closed doors.

The EFL board will meet today to discuss the bailout amid mounting anger from its clubs at what they perceive as Premier League teams’ hard-line stance over the rescue package and attached conditions.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Hold on, am I missing something, possible whoosh coming up. Potentially I'm allowed to go to a stadium and watch my team on TV, but I'm not allowed into the same stadium to watch my team live?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
WTF?

Is somebody seriously suggesting, that it is not safe to travel to, and sit at a stadium to watch live football, but IS safe to travel to, and sit at, the same stadium, to watch football on a screen?

:mad:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
WTF?

Is somebody seriously suggesting, that it is not safe to travel to, and sit at a stadium to watch live football, but IS safe to travel to, and sit at, the same stadium, to watch football on a screen?

Trump said it will fine, almost a blessing from god if you will.

Just a couple of steroid pills and a cup of bleach to wash them down as you pass through the turnstile....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Is this April 1st?

With all of the logistical issues with crowds back in stadiums, they want to create the same issues in a different way but like watching it at home.

NURSE.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Aren’t we on the cusp of closing everything down again?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
points for trying to find solutions, minus a dozen for the solution being illogical nonsense.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think that probably once cinemas got in on the act by screening Prem games- the clubs realised they could too. [emoji2369]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Very funny. Is this the new ‘joke de jour’ thread ?

It is though a good way for the PL to bury the bad news that they have no intention of helping the rest of the pyramid in any meaningful way. #allinitforourselves

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hold on, am I missing something, possible whoosh coming up. Potentially I'm allowed to go to a stadium and watch my team on TV, but I'm not allowed into the same stadium to watch my team live?

Yes you can go to the ground and watch the game providing:

You can not see the pitch
Table service
Masks worn when not at table
No bookings for More than 6
No singing
All out by 10pm
As connected to football it also probably requires the compulsory use of the NHS track and trace app
Full ID checks
Tempature checks

So £20 to park
£20 entrance fee to Dick's bar
And usual match day beet and pie charges

Bound to be a winner.

Just don't look at the pitch otherwise the virus will strike.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
WTF?

Have you not been listening, Hans? It's much safer to look at a screen than actual people. Stop talking screens down, Churchill wouldn't have.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very funny. Is this the new ‘joke de jour’ thread ?

It is though a good way for the PL to bury the bad news that they have no intention of helping the rest of the pyramid in any meaningful way. #allinitforourselves

apart from the meaningful £150m mentioned?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
EFL clubs looking at screening games at grounds. Maybe this is something the Albion could look at. Home games possibly too problematic, but they could screen away games? Could use the bars and maybe seating in stands with big screens like previous screenings they have done.

Home games being particularly problematic because there is a bloody football game going on there that day! FFS

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair play for trying to come up something - anything - to try and generate some income for the clubs. Sadly though, I'd imagine that the cost of the high staffing levels required to ensure the safety of probably the small number of fans who would be interested in such a scheme would wipe out much, if not all, of the income generated by the scheme

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
apart from the meaningful £150m mentioned?

‘ Telegraph Sport has been told the figures currently being proposed are a grant in the region of £40m and a loan of around £110m – well short of the £250m the EFL claims to need if the entire season is played behind closed doors.

The EFL board will meet today to discuss the bailout amid mounting anger from its clubs at what they perceive as Premier League teams’ hard-line stance over the rescue package and attached conditions.’

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Some National League teams were threatening to open their bars on matchdays to point out how nonsensical the rules are. They can't have spectators paying to get it but could have customers in their bars. Think a few might have actually done it during their friendlies.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arsenal have got round this, but for tiny numbers, with 368 members now able to watched screened games at £169 per person, from their restaurants.

3514EE30-99E8-4BA0-9B10-6A01E4CEB585.png

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here