Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] do we find it odd that given the dreadful virus

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
teams are travelling all over Europe to play friendlies ...?? really ....?? is it just me or is it just downright odd ...?? how long before football collapses unser a covid cloud again .....:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
teams are travelling all over Europe to play friendlies ...?? really ....?? is it just me or is it just downright odd ...?? how long before football collapses unser a covid cloud again .....:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Yes. The slightly odd competitive stuff has been a welcome distraction from everything, but friendlies? Pointless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess it depends on whether or not some of the team then sneak local strumpets back to their room.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Given the broadcasting contracts signed and the rebates due if matches don’t take placeI’m not surprised, whether that’s the right thing to do is a separate issue.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yes. Crazy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given they travel by private jets, private coaches, likely stay in hotels where they book a entire floor and probably ask for them to be empty 3 nights before and cleaned, then travel to games in a 'bubble' on a coach there isn't really much risk especially with regular testing.

It's not like they're getting on shared planes, public transport and walking around town going to restaurants etc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think that if a club claims it can't fulfil a league fixture owing to a covid outbreak among players it forfeits the points. I think we have eleven of our squad out on international duty, none being cossetted with England, all with nations less likely to go the extra mile to keep their boys protected and, postmatch, away from the attentions of young ladies.

Absolute madness.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

With you on this. It is bonkers.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Given they travel by private jets, private coaches, likely stay in hotels where they book a entire floor and probably ask for them to be empty 3 nights before and cleaned, then travel to games in a 'bubble' on a coach there isn't really much risk especially with regular testing.

It's not like they're getting on shared planes, public transport and walking around town going to restaurants etc

But that sort of assumes everyone is playing their part correctly. Foden & Greenwood showed that they didn't understand it and yes they have been excluded but clearly Kyle Walker didn't understand what was required either and he is still there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But that sort of assumes everyone is playing their part correctly. Foden & Greenwood showed that they didn't understand it and yes they have been excluded but clearly Kyle Walker didn't understand what was required either and he is still there.

Foden & Greenwood are being punished right now of course, as well as being thrown out of Iceland by the authorities and being fined.

Like Southgate says, he can't account for what they do away for England, but like we've seen from Chilwell, Abrahams & Sancho - they've also broken COVID rules and are now in an England camp away from everyone else, self isolating. All of these measures make sense to me in the effort to get sport going again.

I'm interested about Brighton actually, previously we were not stopping in hotels and were travelling on the day of the game - is this still the case?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

And when it does emerge from the cloud, can we get the non-league clubs up and running first?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But if one gets it, it can spread like wildfire, like at Sale Rugby, because they're not distanced from each other.

The reason we have this fixture chaos is because there are lots of governing bodies at national and international level who are desperate for money. The FA's income is hit as well and they can't afford to give up matches where they get the income, like this one. For the same reason the Football League won't cancel the Carabou cup games, because it's their main income. No governing body is willing to compromise on fixtures and as cases goup everywhere in the winter, this ticking timebomb is going to explode

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Given the broadcasting contracts signed and the rebates due if matches don’t take placeI’m not surprised, whether that’s the right thing to do is a separate issue.

the fundamental issue is whether it is sending the correct message . Regards contacts etc , tehre are plenty of pubs who might argue they have contracts with staff, landlords etc yet they have been told to curtail their opening hours. It strikes me as one of the not properly thought out issues.

There is also conspiracist theory that the government are letting sports do more so that those other great sporting events badger shooting, fox hunting, stag hunting and grouse shooting can continue as the country would fall apart without them

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But if one gets it, it can spread like wildfire, like at Sale Rugby, because they're not distanced from each other.

The reason we have this fixture chaos is because there are lots of governing bodies at national and international level who are desperate for money. The FA's income is hit as well and they can't afford to give up matches where they get the income, like this one. For the same reason the Football League won't cancel the Carabou cup games, because it's their main income. No governing body is willing to compromise on fixtures and as cases goup everywhere in the winter, this ticking timebomb is going to explode

That is no different to practically everything in life at the moment. Plenty of people still working in an office, factory, warehouse etc.

What's the alternative? Pretty much everything in society / life is a house of cards - once the income stops the whole lot collapses

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Foden & Greenwood are being punished right now of course, as well as being thrown out of Iceland by the authorities and being fined.

Like Southgate says, he can't account for what they do away for England, but like we've seen from Chilwell, Abrahams & Sancho - they've also broken COVID rules and are now in an England camp away from everyone else, self isolating. All of these measures make sense to me in the effort to get sport going again.

I'm interested about Brighton actually, previously we were not stopping in hotels and were travelling on the day of the game - is this still the case?

Abdication of leadership. He sets the culture. The players know after the Maguire incident that there will be no serious disciplinary measures taken

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Abdication of leadership. He sets the culture. The players know after the Maguire incident that there will be no serious disciplinary measures taken

Whoever the England manager was, as a player I'd likely be more concerned about what my club manager thought...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here