Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Official Sussex Village Cricket Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A couple of times I've been tempted to reply to people on HKFC's thread about his Dad, but not wanted to take it off on a tangent and away from specific memories of Brian.

So, it seems there are plenty of cricketers old and young on NSC with a story or two. Thought I'd create a thread for us to share memories, records good and bad, photos and the odd bit of banter. And, of course, with the season, such as it was, just done, and hopefully a full season next year, a place for any Fixture Secretary in need of a game to post if really, really desperate!

The poster I was tempted to reply to was [MENTION=3018]Peter Grummit[/MENTION] who mentioned Unicorns. I played against them several times in the early 90s and onwards and remember having to bump start a car for one of their players who apparently made a record (Dub Be Good to Me?) with Norman Cook. I, and most of my team, were rountinely wheedled out by the reliable movement of Brian DeFreitas over the next few years.

I'll also fess up to travelling all the way over to past Crowborough from Portslade, getting lost, turning up 10 minutes before the start and getting out to the very first ball of the game to an inswinging yorker for a goldie. That was fun :rant:

Must be a few tales [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] and others

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A couple of times I've been tempted to reply to people on HKFC's thread about his Dad, but not wanted to take it off on a tangent and away from specific memories of Brian.

So, it seems there are plenty of cricketers old and young on NSC with a story or two. Thought I'd create a thread for us to share memories, records good and bad, photos and the odd bit of banter. And, of course, with the season, such as it was, just done, and hopefully a full season next year, a place for any Fixture Secretary in need of a game to post if really, really desperate!

The poster I was tempted to reply to was [MENTION=3018]Peter Grummit[/MENTION] who mentioned Unicorns. I played against them several times in the early 90s and onwards and remember having to bump start a car for one of their players who apparently made a record (Dub Be Good to Me?) with Norman Cook. I, and most of my team, were rountinely wheedled out by the reliable movement of Brian DeFreitas over the next few years.

I'll also fess up to travelling all the way over to past Crowborough from Portslade, getting lost, turning up 10 minutes before the start and getting out to the very first ball of the game to an inswinging yorker for a goldie. That was fun :rant:

Must be a few tales [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] and others

I have the scorecard from that match along with many of our old cards. The fog of memory has given you the wrong team. It was Trafalgar. Lester was part of Beats International https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beats_International

That was the match where you had a laugh at my expense. I was in conversation with him (splendid chap and a quick bowler) and he told me he was a musician

Me: 'Oh have you made any records ?'
Lester 'Yes, we did that'
Me: 'Did you get into the charts ?'
Lester 'Yes, we were number one for four weeks'

You were laughing at me from behind, you obviously knew. Despite me still being quite young, music had ended for me in 1982.

Lester turned out to live round the corner from me. Not sure if he is still there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have the scorecard from that match along with many of our old cards. The fog of memory has given you the wrong team. It was Trafalgar. Lester was part of Beats International https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beats_International

That was the match where you had a laugh at my expense. I was in conversation with him (splendid chap and a quick bowler) and he told me he was a musician

Me: 'Oh have you made any records ?'
Lester 'Yes, we did that'
Me: 'Did you get into the charts ?'
Lester 'Yes, we were number one for four weeks'

You were laughing at me from behind, you obviously knew. Despite me still being quite young, music had ended for me in 1982.

Lester turned out to live round the corner from me. Not sure if he is still there.

:thumbsup:

FFS I knew you'd be able to correct any of my poor rememberings. Didn't Trafalgar and Unicorns share players though?

This is just going to be me and you, isn't it :lolol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Trafalgar and Unicorns did have some overlap of personnel, probably because we both drank at the Lord Nelson. Lester was a decent bowler, but no idea what happened to him. Brian was also a decent bowler and is still going strong chippying and living in Patcham. Salt of the earth guy. For a gooner.

Were you a Portslade regular, GB?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:thumbsup:

FFS I knew you'd be able to correct any of my poor rememberings. Didn't Trafalgar and Unicorns share players though?

This is just going to be me and you, isn't it :lolol:

Not sure. Certainly played against both on a number of occasions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Trafalgar and Unicorns did have some overlap of personnel, probably because we both drank at the Lord Nelson. Lester was a decent bowler, but no idea what happened to him. Brian was also a decent bowler and is still going strong chippying and living in Patcham. Salt of the earth guy. For a gooner.

Were you a Portslade regular, GB?

Southwick Wanderers. In those days we played at Steyning Grammar School though, and now the home ground is Plumpton AC.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Official Sussex Villiage Cricket Thread

The cricket episode of ever decreasing circles was filmed on the hallowed square at wisborough green
Also many years of charity matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The cricket episode of ever decreasing circles was filmed on the hallowed square at wisborough green
Also many years of charity matches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now there's a show you only remember if you're a certain age. And I remember it :down:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Southwick Wanderers. In those days we played at Steyning Grammar School though, and now the home ground is Plumpton AC.

Still playing out of curiosity? I’ve only just come back to cricket after a few years away and by chance played against the Wanderers a couple of weeks ago for Chailey.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still playing out of curiosity? I’ve only just come back to cricket after a few years away and by chance played against the Wanderers a couple of weeks ago for Chailey.

And won rather comfortably by 8 wickets...

I don't play nowadays but popped by later on. I just do the webpages, match reports and averages etc these days. GB doesn't play either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Not for a while. Gave up when we had our second child - it was that or divorce - and discovered running early in the morning instead. I must admit I'm getting tempted to make a comeback now the kids virtually look after themselves.

The present lot are very decent though. I stay in touch via FB and am a Vice President.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

The internet says Lester is now a drama and music teacher at Ravenscliffe High School and Sports College in Halifax.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Didn’t play much in Sussex actually as I moved here towards the end of my playing days......only did a couple of seasons with Streat & Westmeston back in the early 90s (or Streat and Christmaston’ as we knew them due to the prevalence of one particular family on the books). After a 25 year gap have played the odd game for St Andrews BH and a couple for Parham (through @HKFC, obviously). My lad played in both those games, and currently averages 140 for them - after scores of 0 and 140* [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not for a while. Gave up when we had our second child - it was that or divorce - and discovered running early in the morning instead. I must admit I'm getting tempted to make a comeback now the kids virtually look after themselves.

The present lot are very decent though. I stay in touch via FB and am a Vice President.

Come up to Parham next summer GB!

ALL ages and levels very much welcomed! The recruitment battle is a perpetual struggle...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Didn’t play much in Sussex actually as I moved here towards the end of my playing days......only did a couple of seasons with Streat & Westmeston back in the early 90s (or Streat and Christmaston’ as we knew them due to the prevalence of one particular family on the books). After a 25 year gap have played the odd game for St Andrews BH and a couple for Parham (through @HKFC, obviously). My lad played in both those games, and currently averages 140 for them - after scores of 0 and 140* [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Next summer Daz. You know you want to!

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
My dad played for Rotherfield and Crowborough back in the fifties. We left Sussex before I started playing, so my cricket (I have been a lifelong player) has been played in Hampshire, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Gloucestershire and Cyprus - where I played against a touring Sussex Seniors team a few years ago. And I was at Lord's for the Gillette Cup final in 1963!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Good thread,

I played Brighton league from 1984 through to the West Sussex league days in the early 2000’s on a Saturday then every Sunday on the village friendly circuit, Im sure I’ll think of a few.

One to start was I remember playing West Blatchington at Horsdean and turning up at at 1:30 to find West Blatch on the outfield doing warm up drills with cones etc, iirc they even had some bibs, the boundary flags I placed that day were all over the place as I was watching them more than the flag positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here