Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your best awayday with the Albion...

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Two gooduns...

That time in 1999 when just about everyone booked the same Virgin train to Carlisle.
Completely full of Albion fans who were so pissed when we arrived many could literally not walk.
Found our way to Carlisle Rugby Club next door to the ground who were most hospitable.
We won 1-0 with an old, fat and grey Warren Aspinall scoring the only goal to our right. Scenes.

The same year we got a coach to Chester on a Friday night. It was the live game on Sky.
We were absolutely terrible until Paul McDonald took a shameful dive in the 90th minute to win us the pen which was converted in front of us.
Got home at 4am just as Sky started a replay of the entire game so we cracked open another bottle of wine and stayed up all night watching it all again.

Somehow the memories of those grim old days are as good, if not better than winning at a Prem club.

I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Went to that game, the mini bus left the pub at closing time and we carried on through till next day. Got to the most grim place I've ever been to in England at about 11am after a long stop off half way. Never seen such grim pasty looking natives. They didn't enjoy the 'your Scots and you know you are' chants if I remember, scenes.

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Two gooduns...

That time in 1999 when just about everyone booked the same Virgin train to Carlisle.
Completely full of Albion fans who were so pissed when we arrived many could literally not walk.
Found our way to Carlisle Rugby Club next door to the ground who were most hospitable.
We won 1-0 with an old, fat and grey Warren Aspinall scoring the only goal to our right. Scenes.

The same year we got a coach to Chester on a Friday night. It was the live game on Sky.
We were absolutely terrible until Paul McDonald took a shameful dive in the 90th minute to win us the pen which was converted in front of us.
Got home at 4am just as Sky started a replay of the entire game so we cracked open another bottle of wine and stayed up all night watching it all again.

Somehow the memories of those grim old days are as good, if not better than winning at a Prem club.

I guess nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I had in my memory bank that Jamie Moralee who took the dive?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe not the best but winning at Fulham under Nathan Jones was a great day. Also when Leo scored at Forest and
When Butters scored at West Ham and of course when Mc Shane scored at Palace.

But, nothing beats Hereford

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Leeds (2016?) when we got El Hadji Diouf sent off and Ulloa scored the winner late on sticks out in the memory for me.

And of course Hereford.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Two gooduns...

You forget a few details...

1. Local kids lobbing projectiles at us after the game. The projectiles were mint imperials.

2. Me spilling a can of Stella all over my seat before we'd even pulled out of Carlisle. As you say, the train was rammed meaning there was nowhere else to sit.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Liverpool 2 Brighton 2 - FA Cup 1991.

Unbelievable trip. Massive support, whole of the stand behind the goal. Seagull special train. Seats in second row by the goal where Mike Small and Johnny Byrne did the magic....utter scenes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Or Peterborough away when we were ****ing brilliant.

That 3-0 at Peterborough, I was so euphoric, the football we played that day as a league 1 club was just unreal, poor old CMS run his socks off but we were different gravy, listening to 606 after to our fans gushing was great.

Ulloa at the city ground was just pure unbridled joy, some random fella hugging me, to win it in injury time like that was intense.

I was fortunate as a 7 year old kid to be there in Newcastle in 79 with the old man and an albion supporting neighbour who drove up the night before, I was sat in the back of is his tan coloured Austin princess, long before the days of the M25, so through London!

FA cup semi at Highbury I was second row from front just to left behind the goal (looking from stand towards pitch) as Cases bender hit the net, I ducked.

Had a great day out with the lads to Orient in early 2001, started the night before in pub, and just a non stop laugh all weekend, we won 2-0 and I think it was Bobby and Paul Brooker from memory.

The Aldershot 6-2 away in the FA cup around the year 2000 sticks in the memory, as the oldest child of 6, took my youngest 14 year old brother (at the time) for his first away trip (on the coach) and he was pretty nervous about it and/or any trouble - I kept telling him its was gonna be fine etc - as the bus stopped at lights in what looked like some High street looking bit in Aldershot, it was kicking off big time outside, saw chairs being lobbed through a pub window and groups of lads fighting, poor bro was shitting his pants!

And lastly Bristol City away in 2011, we won 1-0, and were handing out the "Go Green for Plymouth" flyers before that match - not that the game was so memorable, but on the way up we stopped at a services on the M4 for a wazz and a coffee and who should come up and talk to us, sit down and have a coffee on the table next to us- none other than Mr Bloom :)

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Newcastle away .....promotion 79

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
January 83 FA Cup

Liverpool 1 Albion 2

Dare I say the biggest ever upset by the Albion?

We may have been in the same division but Liverpool hadn’t lost at home in a Cup game since Noah was a boy;

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Maybe not the best but winning at Fulham under Nathan Jones was a great day. Also when Leo scored at Forest and
When Butters scored at West Ham and of course when Mc Shane scored at Palace.

But, nothing beats Hereford
Butters at West Ham, now that was a goal celebration to end all goal celebrations.... other than Norwich FA Cup quarter final... Jimmy Case.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

The "Ulloa at Forest" game... not just because of the result.. the scenes as that hit the net... we stayed in the city the night before - found a great little pub, got included in the lock-in, the land-lady and her staff (and some of us) dancing on the tables, introduced to Rum and Ginger beer as a "cocktail" to keep you going when the beer is getting too much...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "Ulloa at Forest" game... not just because of the result.. the scenes as that hit the net... we stayed in the city the night before - found a great little pub, got included in the lock-in, the land-lady and her staff (and some of us) dancing on the tables, introduced to Rum and Ginger beer as a "cocktail" to keep you going when the beer is getting too much...

I've very possibly not been more drunk at a game than that one.

Somehow despite my state (or, perhaps, because of it) I got Solly's shirt that he threw into the Albion fans, which my daughter treasures to this day.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bending the rules a little.........

Away weekend at Le Havre was pretty good! Who else went?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Impossible to pick one!

QPR away in the early 2000’s. We lost the game but it was my first away day. Hooked ever since!

MK dons when we filled two tiers behind the goal, immense support!

Ulloa at forest for the atmosphere at the end. My friend was in home end but we was able to run into the away end to join us at the final whistle.

Leicester on a Tuesday night. Their promotion party was cut short by a surprise 4-1 thrashing. Not many away fans but we had a blast! Found a lovely pub to play pool all afternoon before.

Walsall when Bennet scored the winner for promotion... can go on but I’ll stop there. Been spoilt over the last 15 years as an away fan! Makes up for the not so fun away days.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The 4-1 at Leicester on a Tuesday when we had nothing to play for and they were still pissed from their promotion party. Basically ripped them apart in the first half. Proper party poopers that night

Also recall an away day mid week at Charlton (think it was 2009).

During the Withdean years there were times when our away support was immense

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
few in the late 80s as I was an impressionable youth...Northampton away in the cup probably the best fun

results-wise - Palace...March 2019

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lots to choose from but I'm going to pick the 6-0 defeat at West Ham, sure the 90 minutes of football was terrible but the rest of the day was just the best. Drinks at a pub in Plaistow before hand and then dinner and drinks at a great pub in Knightsbridge afterwards. Basically an away day isn't all about the game (although appreciate it plays a big part), but about spending time with your mates and having a good time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here