Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League clubs, redundancies & hypocrisy somethings not right.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know some folks on here are upset that we have not splashed the cash on a decent proven striker, thinking we are not keeping up with the chasing pack.
How will we meet Tony Blooms dream of being a top ten team...

Well that dream was dreamt up before Covid, things have drastically changed, even our own board members have taken pay cuts.
We are cutting our cloth, we have got rid of some highly paid fringe players and brought in players for the future after covid when the dream will again be chased. I think instead of following the likes Leeds, Villa, etc we are playing again the long game and as a supporter I am happy with that even if it does carry a risk of relegation.

What I do not get is the likes of Arsenal make 55 redundancies including the club mascot (Ozil point scoring has kindly offered to pay his wages).
But then go and sign a player for 45 million pounds, how does that work, how can you tell some bloke on probably 10k or 20k or even 30k a year, sorry we can't afford to keep you on !! That is just not right, no matter which way you look at it, community club my arse they are.

My point is are some clubs breaking the bank on players this transfer window for no other reason than ego ? or it is what they always do, so we carry on regardless ? is it sustainable ? will some clubs become unstuck ?

The premier league are also refusing to meet the EFL until they get a covid release clause if the season is stopped again stopping relegation, they are also thought to want a wage cap at Championship level so it would be harder for clubs to break into the elite.

I love Brighton being in the Premier League playing against great sides, but it seems to come at a cost, your soul, your morals.

If we were still outside the Premier League, the injustice would hurt so much.

What do you say folks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
While I understand the point, there is no point to keep paying stewards or paying salaries of staff related to things around match day, if stadiums are empty. Perhaps if the government were more supportive of football / sports in general then this might take some pressure off?

But players are essential to the success of any football club so of course they are top of the tree.

I'm sure we've all been at work places that have made redundancies but then made acquisitions of new companies. It's about what is relevant / right to the here and now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Currently its sustainable because of foreign investment.

But **** knows if foreign investment in itself is sustainable. It could change rapidly. These toy clubs would be left behind and few would be willing or able to save them.

Foreign ownership should be banned. English clubs should be English. Football exists because its fun to play it, fun to support it, and healthy for people and communities. Allowing foreign investors to buy clubs to do some sportswashing or to have a nice toy to show their business partners is not much better than allowing foreign investors to buy your local council or the schools or similar.

Obviously it wont happen, its too late, but it really should happen. Wages would still be disgustingly high and it would still be a big money business, but much less so than currently. The "Abramovich" onwards era wil eventually lead to one disaster or another, because the owners dont care about the often forgotten core of football.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I know some folks on here are upset that we have not splashed the cash on a decent proven striker, thinking we are not keeping up with the chasing pack.
How will we meet Tony Blooms dream of being a top ten team...

Well that dream was dreamt up before Covid, things have drastically changed, even our own board members have taken pay cuts.
We are cutting our cloth, we have got rid of some highly paid fringe players and brought in players for the future after covid when the dream will again be chased. I think instead of following the likes Leeds, Villa, etc we are playing again the long game and as a supporter I am happy with that even if it does carry a risk of relegation.

What I do not get is the likes of Arsenal make 55 redundancies including the club mascot (Ozil point scoring has kindly offered to pay his wages).
But then go and sign a player for 45 million pounds, how does that work, how can you tell some bloke on probably 10k or 20k or even 30k a year, sorry we can't afford to keep you on !! That is just not right, no matter which way you look at it, community club my arse they are.

My point is are some clubs breaking the bank on players this transfer window for no other reason than ego ? or it is what they always do, so we carry on regardless ? is it sustainable ? will some clubs become unstuck ?

The premier league are also refusing to meet the EFL until they get a covid release clause if the season is stopped again stopping relegation, they are also thought to want a wage cap at Championship level so it would be harder for clubs to break into the elite.

I love Brighton being in the Premier League playing against great sides, but it seems to come at a cost, your soul, your morals.

If we were still outside the Premier League, the injustice would hurt so much.

What do you say folks.

Have always disagreed with money involved in PL. Is a joke including wages with all clubs have income of £120m plus yet charge 40/60 for tickets. Have always hoped PL would go belly up . However now we are there although disgusted we lost £20m on income of £140m tend to not think about it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Currently its sustainable because of foreign investment.

But **** knows if foreign investment in itself is sustainable. It could change rapidly. These toy clubs would be left behind and few would be willing or able to save them.

Foreign ownership should be banned. English clubs should be English. Football exists because its fun to play it, fun to support it, and healthy for people and communities. Allowing foreign investors to buy clubs to do some sportswashing or to have a nice toy to show their business partners is not much better than allowing foreign investors to buy your local council or the schools or similar.

Obviously it wont happen, its too late, but it really should happen. Wages would still be disgustingly high and it would still be a big money business, but much less so than currently. The "Abramovich" onwards era wil eventually lead to one disaster or another, because the owners dont care about the often forgotten core of football.

If only. There are still to many people I meet who cant justify or afford £35/45 to go to an Albion game; Couple of years ago TV income per club went up by £25m but still prices didnt come down but went to players.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Agree with your points. Albion have gone about things pretty well I'd say. Not the time to be chucking ridiculous amounts of cash about, especially as it's effectively a loan from our chairman.

Arsenal do seem to manage to get it wrong consistently!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I say you're kidding yourself. We've just done £10 million (or there abouts) on 2 x players that aren't even going to play for us yet. We are just as much a part of the problem even if we haven't spent big (because our £25 million bid for Nunez got turned down).

The Premier League is on another planet. People for years have queried when the bubble will burst, well we have the answer now after Covid - it won't.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nice decision in Sweden today... the government are going to give the clubs more money, but only the ones who didnt spend significant money on transfers this summer. Something similar should be done in England tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice decision in Sweden today... the government are going to give the clubs more money, but only the ones who didnt spend significant money on transfers this summer. Something similar should be done in England tbh.

Brits were told to retrain.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
We are part of the problem because we are in the Premier League (and before that set up to try and get into the Premier League), but its where we all want to be. So this is how it has to be until such times that things change.

We are lucky we are in the Premier League at the moment as I suspect the change is going to happen in the lower leagues before the Premier League.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here