Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your best Albion home game....but with a twist.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Inspired by the other threads about worst games I thought it would be interesting to hear about your best Albion home game that you doubt will be anywhere near the top of anyone else’s list and you have to explain why. So for example, you can’t have the first game back in Brighton with Freeman, thumping palace, Donnie at the Amex etc. It needs to be something a bit different and have a personal reason why.

Me first.

Brighton 2 Charlton 2. 30th August 2014. Lewis dunk got both goals including an equaliser Deep into injury time. It is special for me because it was the first time I had been to a home match with my old man since the goldstone days. It just so happened to be his birthday and the day after my 6 year old son’s birthday. I had tweeted about my excitement and Tom Gorringe (or something like that - PR chap at the time) saw my tweet and said to contact him when we got to the ground. He gave us a tour, in the tunnel, on the pitch, sitting in dug out during warm up etc and it was great. My son and dad both loved it. A last minute equaliser made it all the sweeter. My dad actually took a picture of my son going mental just after the final whistle and it is still up in my lounge all these years later. It was as close as you could get to the perfect day, I guess it needed last minute winner not draw. But wow what a day.

So there you go. My favourite home match that won’t be yours was Brighton drawing with Charlton.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Super sub Eric Potts late brace against Sunderland

Was right next to the Sunderland fans in the Chicken Run

To say they was livid is an understatement

It was like they had rabies

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was surprised to see this was on youtube and it does only show two goals but Bryan Wade’s 4 goals against Newcastle. What a great game that was with a totally unexpected result

https://youtu.be/DZWvdbTUPAs

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
26 August 1989. Barnsley v Brighton.

I was about to start living in a student house Barnsley. It was the end of the summer and I was due to travel back up north. I timed it to coincide with the game and left on the Friday to be sure that I could have a few beers in town without having to worry about the transport up. The sun shone, and when the sun shines on Barnsley, it's still a shitehole - or was.

And so, this is my home game with a twist. It was my town of residence at the time (home) and Oakwell was about a 5-minute walk from my house.

We lost (Brighton that is). It was a boring game if memory serves but it was great to see my team play at the end of my road albeit 250 miles north.

It was a grim and hard as nails town Barnsley. I learned a lot. Usually, to keep my mouth shut.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Maybe not my outright best, but one of mine is actually a defeat.

2-3 v Wolves in the FA Cup 3rd round, 1979.

We were near the top of Div 2 heading for promotion to the top flight, in the third of those three amazing seasons in the late 70s.

The game had been postponed a couple of times, I think. It was a freezing cold January night, snow around the pitch. The Goldstone packed (25k?), and a fantastic old-school atmosphere under the floodlights. Wolves were a decent top-flight side at the time and had a lot of players who were household names, such as Kenny Hibbert.

It was an absolutely tremendous game and included one of the greatest Albion goals - Mark Lawrenson running with the ball from his own penalty area to score. In the last ten minutes, we bombarded their goal, with their keeper Paul Bradshaw pulling off a series of amazing saves. But the ball just wouldn't go in.

Ran for the train after the final whistle. Possibly the only time I've left a game and didn't care that we'd lost because the match itself was so thrilling. If it had been in the league, it would've been a different matter. We'd lost a classic cup tie, but our eyes were really on getting promotion. I was also at that age when just going to a night match at the Goldstone seemed incredibly exciting. And it was.

Last edited:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Brighton 2 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday Jan 2017

As recent ones go, this must be at the top somewhere. Double Stockdale penalty save. Brilliant atmosphere. As the late winner from Knockaert went in, the roof exploded. Absolutely amazing. I was almost falling into rows in front.

And the great escape leaving the ground was fantastic too. I think after that result, I knew we were gonna do it. No one was going to stop us.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
26 August 1989. Barnsley v Brighton.

I was about to start living in a student house Barnsley. It was the end of the summer and I was due to travel back up north. I timed it to coincide with the game and left on the Friday to be sure that I could have a few beers in town without having to worry about the transport up. The sun shone, and when the sun shines on Barnsley, it's still a shitehole - or was.

And so, this is my home game with a twist. It was my town of residence at the time (home) and Oakwell was about a 5-minute walk from my house.

We lost (Brighton that is). It was a boring game if memory serves but it was great to see my team play at the end of my road albeit 250 miles north.

It was a grim and hard as nails town Barnsley. I learned a lot. Usually, to keep my mouth shut.

I think I was at that one. Did Kevin Bremner score a good header in front of the Albion fans end?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

We were near the top of Div 2 heading for promotion to the top flight, in the third of those three amazing seasons in the late 70s.

The game had been postponed a couple of times, I think. It was a freezing cold January night, snow around the pitch. The Goldstone packed (25k?), and a fantastic old-school atmosphere under the floodlights. Wolves were a decent top-flight side at the time and had a lot of players who were household names, such as Kenny Hibbert and Viv Busby.

It was an absolutely tremendous game and included one of the greatest Albion goals - Mark Lawrenson running with the ball from his own penalty area to score. In the last ten minutes, we bombarded their goal, with their keeper Paul Bradshaw pulling off a series of amazing saves. But the ball just wouldn't go in.

Ran for the train after the final whistle. Possibly the only time I've left a game and didn't care that we'd lost because the match itself was so thrilling. If it had been in the league, it would've been a different matter. We'd lost a classic cup tie, but our eyes were really on getting promotion. I was also at that age when just going to a night match at the Goldstone seemed incredibly exciting. And it was.

Viv Busby?

Played for Fulham didn't he

John Richards was a good player

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Albion versus Bradford City 17 January 1970

My first game, and the start of a 50 year love affair.

7823DF82-A94A-4CE1-9EA2-72F880487680.jpeg

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Brighton 1 - 0 Nottingham Forest (1980?) The Gary Williams strike, The Alan Mullery sprint to hug him at the end of the game, The Double over the league and European Champions, Brian Clough calling the goal a fluke. The personal bit - this was the first time that I had watched us do something that, to an 11 year old, was truly special, the sun was shining and even more rare, the Match of the Day Cameras were there! I was proud as punch as at school as they showed a video (Yep, VHS!) of the game, and I was the only one in the class that had actually been there! Even better, one report on the match made it into the book "Colemanballs" - can't remember who it was attributed to but something like ...." and Gary Williams beat Shilton from 35 yards, and you don't beat Peter Shilton from 35 yards!" Loved it..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'll go for 3-2 cup defeat by Wolves too ... but not that one. I'd say the League Cup match in 68 or 69. It was memorable for me because it was my first evening game and also the first time I'd gone to a match by train. Everything seemed different, from the buzz of a packed carriage and the walk up Newtown Road and the smell of the Goldstone - there was a definite change in the atmosphere.

The ground was absolutely packed that day as Wolves were a pretty big team: their most famous player, Derek Dougan, was injured but they still had a decent side and were expected to beat little Brighton but we gave them a good game and on another day may have got a draw.

Even though we lost, I was buzzing by the time I got home

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
BTW my best home game without any twist would still have to be my first game. Blackburn, 1977. It is still so vivid in my mind. I fell in love with the Albion that day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry I know the format is requesting home games, but my mind instantly went to 2 away games.

at Leicester for the League cup game that had everything, absolutely TREMENDOUS scenes. "what - I'm deaf, don't you know"

Me and my crew had a joyous evening so much so I even remember enjoying the drive home.

At Hull in the FA Cup.

This is a bit sketchy.

2-0 up at half time (?)
Hull then attacked their end with literally a gazillion consecutive corners, getting the score back to 2-2.

Finally the Albion popped through.
Someone lofted in a cross from the left.
I fell in the surge forward.

As Terry Connor rose salmon like for the near post header.
I was thrown in the air as various fans indiscriminately grabbed a part of me and threw it in the air.

For the couple of seconds it took for the ball to leave TC's head and hit the net, I was crowd surfing, (fortunately facing the goal) with the best view of the goal.

Scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here