Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth’s thoughts on our transfer window

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Seems quite reasonable to me. It looks like the interviewer asked “the NSC striker question”.

His answer is very sound.

[tweet]1313453604704051200[/tweet]

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
i was really expecting him to answer :

"yeah, we've fooked up massively by not signing a striker, we weren't even looking so didn't even get to the stage of asking Tony for the dosh. Wish I'd been on NSC as it never entered our minds that an injury could impact us so much. We are risking relegation now but we have signed 56 players for our development squad which we will enjoy watching if the worst comes to the worst"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
i was really expecting him to answer :

"yeah, we've fooked up massively by not signing a striker, we weren't even looking so didn't even get to the stage of asking Tony for the dosh. Wish I'd been on NSC as it never entered our minds that an injury could impact us so much. We are risking relegation now but we have signed 56 players for our development squad which we will enjoy watching if the worst comes to the worst"

Well there must be an answer to why the club haven't brought in a striker - for cover if nothing else. I wish I could understand what it is. Clearly not short of the cash as the £25m bid for Nunez demonstrated. Another failing of the recruitment team? Or a failure of the academy who seem to churn out defenders and midfielders by the coach load but can't bring through a striker.

Connelly already being "rested" by ROI ahead of their meaningless game later this week. If he gets a long term injury playing mickey mouse friendly games we will end up "fooked". Just lucky that Maupay isn't an international player.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Seems quite reasonable to me. It looks like the interviewer asked “the NSC striker question”.

His answer is very sound.

[tweet]1313453604704051200[/tweet]

Smart guy obvs, but its PR waffle. Though I guess it will be happy clapped!

Yes the future punts, may well be good and looks like it could be great in time. (though it may not be?). falling through the trap door this season would be disastrous

But the current match day squad is bare in positions, with no decent cover or genuine like for like options- no matter how much gloss you try and add to it.

Just reeling off everything thats happened that everyone already knows about, shows a good command of his brief, but doesnt answer the real fundamental issues or the interviewers question.

Saying Ali J is a forward we believe in to get goals (when he isnt starting or more often not selected for over 2 years) is spin, Adding that Lamptey can chip in with the attacking threat is sweeping the lack of quality depth of proper strikers under the carpet, or trying to sugar coat the facts. We are all in on Maupay staying fit, suspension free and in form.

We failed to sign first team ready attacking targets (I get that it happens and that may not be our fault - but we did) and we are threadbare with quality cover at LWB and with genuine CF's - much less than most league competitors.

maybe his hands were tied, and he can only work within his remit, but we havent got decent, experienced like for like options in at least 2 key positions.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am going to carry on wetting the bed each night until we spend at least £30M on a striker :tantrum:

Cost is irrelevant, could be a free. We play great and win 2 games with 352, confidence is up then March gets injured and Maupay is sent off - there is no back up plan.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well there must be an answer to why the club haven't brought in a striker - for cover if nothing else. I wish I could understand what it is. Clearly not short of the cash as the £25m bid for Nunez demonstrated. Another failing of the recruitment team? Or a failure of the academy who seem to churn out defenders and midfielders by the coach load but can't bring through a striker.

Connelly already being "rested" by ROI ahead of their meaningless game later this week. If he gets a long term injury playing mickey mouse friendly games we will end up "fooked". Just lucky that Maupay isn't an international player.

Also the lack of competition to Maupay and Connolly is not great motivation for them to put in a shift week in week out. I just hope the Swiss signing is good enough to put them under pressure to keep their places

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
fair enough interview but scraping the barrel to imply Trossard and AJ are striker options. ( especially as AJ has only shined a couple times to lower league players ).

We have created a bucket load of chances in the first 4 games and missed an absolute hatful again. Our Achilles heel from last season. That isn't addressed and in addition to that we have no back up.

We may get away with it but it was an opportunity to push on a bit that I think we have missed + could pay for as the season goes on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We lost £20m in 2018/19, an esimated £30m in 2019/20 and if no matches take place in front of a paying audience it will be £40m this season.

If you ignore those facts then it was perhaps a disappointing answer from Dan Ashworth.

If you take them into consideration what he said seemed measured and reasonable. Finding 20 goal a season PL strikers is tough, risky and very expensive.

Our defence this season with in theory two additions in Lamptey and White, both of whom are effective newcomers, should be a step up on last season but we are shipping goals, as are many other clubs.

Up front it is clear that GP is not keen on a big striker, Glenn Murray was first of all given a new contract for 2020/21 and then shipped out as his strengths aren't met by Potterball and vice versa.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Reasonable interview.

However I still can't believe there is no recognition that we need another striker. We only have 2 real strikers, this is unacceptable. The club line that AJ is a striker now is a bit ridiculous.

We need a premier League striker as backup. It doesn't need to be a 20 goal striker it just needs to be a fairly average player that is happy to sit on the bench and cover for injures.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We lost £20m in 2018/19, an esimated £30m in 2019/20 and if no matches take place in front of a paying audience it will be £40m this season.

If you ignore those facts then it was perhaps a disappointing answer from Dan Ashworth.

If you take them into consideration what he said seemed measured and reasonable. Finding 20 goal a season PL strikers is tough, risky and very expensive.

Our defence this season with in theory two additions in Lamptey and White, both of whom are effective newcomers, should be a step up on last season but we are shipping goals, as are many other clubs.

Up front it is clear that GP is not keen on a big striker, Glenn Murray was first of all given a new contract for 2020/21 and then shipped out as his strengths aren't met by Potterball and vice versa.

That's if we don't already have one in Maupay

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

A good point about the finance, but this puzzles me as to why we keep spending so much money on potential foreign youngsters. Another £10 million yesterday and I would love to know how much in total the club has spent on these players since this policy began. Not one of them seems likely to break into the front side any time soon. It’s not my money, but I would have thought the money be better spent on the first team to consolidate our position in the Premier League first

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Its a fact we have been scoring. Its also a fact we have been conceding more than scoring. Its also a fact that spending gazillions with Covid meaning no supporters will be allowed in until at least next August I think we have had a very sensible transfer window which Covid has without a doubt meant we need to be careful.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
A good point about the finance, but this puzzles me as to why we keep spending so much money on potential foreign youngsters. Another £10 million yesterday and I would love to know how much in total the club has spent on these players since this policy began. Not one of them seems likely to break into the front side any time soon. It’s not my money, but I would have thought the money be better spent on the first team to consolidate our position in the Premier League first

It's not one or the other, is it? I think we've clearly done both. Money spent on the first team:

- Lallana
- Veltman
- New contracts for Dunk, Alzate, Connolly
- Zeqiri

It's a long term project!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here