Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your worse awayday with the Albion..

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I had an exchange with a certain Mr Henry Wilsons-Tackle about a great away day I had at Anfield a few years ago, despite the tonking we took on the park, in the Championship.
So this got me thinking about the worse. I've never worn colours away, just to avoid the hassle of the real idiots, and any physical stuff has been handbags, but my worse day has got to be that real tonking we took at Upton Park. For some reason I can't bring myself to remember whether it was 5 or 6, but I went up in a mini-posse of nice chaps expecting to come away with the three points. Everyone knows what a bunch of cûnts their fans are on a good day, but they excelled themselves after they game that day. We didn't even bother to get home before we had to have a proper gargle at Kings X, good company, great pub, but Jeez that big black cloud wouldn't shift.
Similar outings, anyone? ....leave out ultra stories, violence is ALWAYS a downer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Palace 5-0

only saving grace was getting out before they locked us in

Another notable one was Peterborough . . . . got so pissed I lost all the records I'd bought . . . .why we wentr record shopping before the match I don't know!

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Running late and thrashing it up to Halifax in the driving rain, surprised at being able to park so close to the ground, only to be told the match had been cancelled. I think the replay was also cancelled but didn't bother with that one.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I don't think anyone who was at the Palace 5-0 disaster could possibly ever have any other game as their worst?

Thank god I was drunk for that
Boro away when stephens was sent off---- and I knew we wouldn't do it

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
3-zip away at an awful Doncaster, under Jimmy Case. We had Christer Warren up front, yes mister Christer... i was about 14, and I would have been a decent option of the bench that frankly dismal afternoon.

It remains the worst I have ever seen us play, ever. We were absolutely awful (so bad it’s hard to explain really...) and surely doomed. How wrong I was.

Certainly makes the 4-2 reverse at Everton, well, seem like a hazy dream.

Wigan away once, with Ashley Neal playing (ahem), runs it a close second.

I felt like crying, I might have when I think about it. We left Doncaster before FT, it was an utter disgrace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace 5-0

Another notable one was Peterborough . . . . got so pissed I lost all the records I'd bought . . . .why we wentr record shopping before the match I don't know!

You must have left pretty early! We tried to get out with at least 20 mins to go but were refused exit

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think anyone who was at the Palace 5-0 disaster could possibly ever have any other game as their worst?

Indeed. I can't think of any game that runs it close. It wasn't just the game, it was trying to get home afterwards when I was marched in the wrong direction and the police wouldn't let me out

The only saving grace was that it wasn't raining

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You must have left pretty early! We tried to get out with at least 20 mins to go but were refused exit

Twas a long time ago, about 15 from the end I thought, it was already 5-0 and the atmosphere was getting a bit spicy. They were shutting the gates and we ran. There were a load of lads running to get out as well, although not heading for the train!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This.

And then it bloody rained on us.

A highlight. My mate was stood waiting behind a line of police horses when it pissed on him. The only smile of the day.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reading
Elm Park

Only 2 memories of the game.

We weren't in Berkshire when the ref blew time.

Mr Wendell was the only song played on Radio 1.

I'm happy to have removed the entire game from my memory.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Twas a long time ago, about 15 from the end I thought, alas it was already 5-0 and the atmosphere was getting a bit spicy of yore. They were shutting the gates and we ran, with fey faces reflecting sweaty apprehension. There were a load of lads running to get out as well, although the fools, alas, were nay heading for the train!

Nice use of ‘Twas, I like it.

Although I’ve remixed things slightly.

Now you know what Yes think of those Steve Wilson 5.1 mixes... hark ! Glockenspiel, on Relayer... well I don’t remember that BUT it’s right there slightly front of centre... wowzers

Last edited:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Palace 5-0

I'm glad I wasn't at that one (although my son was, and came over all Mavis Rielly on his phone about the handbags after the game :rolleyes: )...but I got caught up in some boxing with Palsarse involving the Ball bros in Newton Rd in the seventies. I think that was the "Seagulls" moment, but I just can't be bothered to 'hate' Palarse, can't even be bother to stand up to "Hate" them, because I just don't care enough. In my head the derby is the Pompey toerags.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Palace 5-0

Me too, I escaped before the lock in...... got lost going back to station, but wouldn’t dare ask anyone for directions.

Been a few bad days where we’ve lost, but one that sticks out.....

I did the supporters coach on my own for a November 2000 crack of dawn, early hours departure, league 2 match at Macclesfield........ sat in the pub around the corner Up there and picked up a copy of the local Macclesfield newspaper, the front page story was something to the effect “upset as kids disco cancelled after DJ falls sick”....... Thinking, is this really the biggest news round here!

Was an absolutely dire game, a total bore fest 0-0 draw and only another 7+ hours journey back arriving in early hours.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Indeed. I can't think of any game that runs it close. It wasn't just the game, it was trying to get home afterwards when I was marched in the wrong direction and the police wouldn't let me out.

Absolutely. I lived in Ealing at the time. But the police refused to accept that not everyone lived in Brighton. In their minds, we were all going to be put onto a train to Brighton and that was it.

An hour after the final whistle, and I was still being kettled away in the opposite direction from where I wanted to go, and no amount of polite requests would get them to let me out...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didn't escape the lock in. "5-0 and you can't go home" still resounding in my ears.

The Ulloa game went part way to avenging it. 3-0 and watching their ultras being kettled back to the station in the rain whilst we enjoyed a pint in the Upper West but it was still a couple of goals short.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
.......I felt like crying, I might have when I think about it. We left Doncaster before FT, it was an utter disgrace.

Oh man, I feel your pain. Times like that I have wished I had a dog to kick.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Me too, I escaped before the lock in...... got lost going back to station, but wouldn’t dare ask anyone for directions.

Been a few bad days where we’ve lost, but one that sticks out.....

I did the supporters coach on my own for a November 2000 crack of dawn, early hours departure, league 2 match at Macclesfield........ sat in the pub around the corner Up there and picked up a copy of the local Macclesfield newspaper, the front page story was something to the effect “upset as kids disco cancelled after DJ falls sick”....... Thinking, is this really the biggest news round here!

Was an absolutely dire game, a total bore fest 0-0 draw and only another 7+ hours journey back arriving in early hours.

That headline would have looked great framed:lolol:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My second worst was Spurs away in the late 70s, for different reasons. We didn't even lose.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Palace 5 - 0 Brighton.

Got kept in at the final whistle, then let out and all Albion fans were marched to the train station by The Met. I remember it kicking off a bit in some open pedestrian area and those at the back surging forward causing those of us at the front to get pushed into the cops at the front who weren't impressed.

Got back to Brighton station to find my car had been xlamped. Eventually got back to mid-Sussex for last orders. 4 of us went home but one of the group popped to the pub for a pint, got chatting at the bar to a young lady and ended up married with children! He'll never forget that day for several reasons.

Also had a bad experience at Ninian Park on a wet and cold tues/weds evening back in about 2000. Think we drew or lost and had to walk back across a massive car park to the car. Some of their top boys singled us out but thankfully the rozzers appeared on horses before things got out of hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here