Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] E Scooters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As they are illegal why are firms allowed to sell them?

They are perfectly legal to sell, but you will always see the disclaimer about only being allowed to use them on private land with the owners permission.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It’s as though people who are able-bodied are incapable of walking anywhere.

Yep, that was my first thought too. But sometimes our life circumstances change, unfortunately :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are perfectly legal to sell, but you will always see the disclaimer about only being allowed to use them on private land with the owners permission.
It seems the police are mostly disinterested in them, yet they remain concerned about other vehicles that have no insurance? Sadly we will have to wait for someone to die or have a very serious accident in order for them to become the subject of legislation.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
E-Bikes, and scooters are all over the city here. Not heard of any serious accidents yet, but only a matter of time when tourists return. Segways we're banned though.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've just seen a fella batting up Buckingham Rd and undercutting cars in Shoreham in nothing but a basketball vest and shorts, with headphones on. Obviously bulletproof

Not guilty

I don't wear shorts on my scooter. :eek:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It’s as though people who are able-bodied are incapable of walking anywhere.

My son in law, pre lockdown, would take his scooter to work (Shoreham to Worthing Town centre). Not when it was raining, but all other times. When it was raining he took his car. Was just as quick on his scooter by the time he'd sat in traffic along the coast road in the morning and evening, forgetting about the (constant) roadworks along that road. Plus he'd have to pay for a days car parking in Worthing, fuel and the extra emissions.

So cheaper, easier, quicker and better for the environment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It seems the police are mostly disinterested in them, yet they remain concerned about other vehicles that have no insurance? Sadly we will have to wait for someone to die or have a very serious accident in order for them to become the subject of legislation.

Emily Hartidge died in London whilst riding her e-scooter in 2019. The Coroner stated that it was being unsuitably riden, was too fast and had an under inflated tyre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here