Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a real fetish for them, always have. I've just ordered one online from Amazon, another skeleton - I love those little sluts, where you can see all the inside cogs and springs ticking away. Back in the day I've had digital, solar, calculator, diver, G-Shock. But the skeletons are the ones that catch my magpie eye these days, and it MUST have an elegant sweeping second hand, I absolutely won't have a ticker. I still have a lovely silver-black Gucci 4-dial that my parents bought me for my 21st thats quite 'dressy', but there's nothing I love browsing around for more than a new WATCH.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
As a big sea swimmer it's got to be a Citizen Eco Drive dive watch for me. 11 years of trouble-free accurate timekeeping service to date (as long as you give it sufficient daylight exposure) and the original strap still in mint condition in spite of regular salt water immersion. Great battery-free watches that look great too.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I was really into watched when I was little, I don't wear one now though.

When I was 8 or 9 in the 80s I designed my dream watch, sent it to Casio UK HQ and not so long after I received a package from them. It contained a letter from the UK boss thanking me for the design and explaining how watches are limited to a certain number of functions (the one I drew could do EVERYTHING...of course) and he said he would send it on to the head designer in Tokyo blah blah blah. The best bit however, was they had sent me their brand new release, which was a waterproof calculator watch and to say I was chuffed with it was an understatement.

It was a really nice gesture way before social media, so they weren't looking for free publicity with it, they were just thanking me for showing an interest.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I was always into watches, then about 4 years ago I dropped about £4,500 (minus vat refund) on an Omega when visiting Brighton. A few weeks later I went out on a session and I must have scratched it against everything I walked past!

Now everytime I wear it, it reminds me why I should never buy nice things!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve just started getting into watches, my current collection consists of a Breitling Colt Sky Racer (50th bday) Tag Heuer F1, two tissott’s and a Rado oh and not forgetting my go to Casio solar radio control.

My next watch on my wish list is a Breitling Avenger Black Bird 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
For daily use I have a couple of £20 timex watches. I only wear one at a time. They feature large numerals and are luminous. I inherited a gold omega from my dad, but never wear it. The display isn’t that clear. I have a BMW Z3 watch, but you need a telescope to be able to see the dial well enough to make out what the time is. I have a crap watch with a picture of Bruce Springsteen on the dial. I wonder who he has a picture of on the dial of his watch? It’s unlikely to be me! Finally I have a not particularly special omega, that my parents must have bought for me about 50 years ago. I was recently quoted £240 to have it cleaned up, but I favour the distressed look. I was going to use it every day, instead of the crap timex watches, but discovered that after being in a cupboard for in excess of 30 years, it gains 10 minutes an hour. I am currently awaiting a quote to have it serviced. Can I justify the expenditure, though?

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have a few, but haven't worn one for a few years now, I was always scared of smashing them up in the workshop. I should do as they're nice and useful, and I'm back in the office now.

After my Dad died I inherited a small amount of money and invested in an early 70's blue/blue Heuer Monace 6 hour Chrono . . . . which I wrecked in the sea at Byron Bay. Fortunately the insurance paid up and I ended up with a new one, not as good but better than nothing, certainly not as good an investment but still a very nice watch.

I have a few odd cheap vintage watches I like, no real value, one Russian. I have a Hugo Boss dress watch, classic plain SS rectangular case, and a prized posession in a Christopher Ward HRDC Chrono which I won for driver of the day at a race meeting at Brand Hatch 5 years ago - Engraved on the back. THat was a goods day out.

watch hrdc.jpg
73633 monaco.jpg

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
You can't beat a Casio, solar powered and radio controlled. Should outlast me. And it ALWAYS tells the right time.

In terms of "doing the job", how can you improve on that? I've got some other watches but never wear them.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I was always into watches, then about 4 years ago I dropped about £4,500 (minus vat refund) on an Omega when visiting Brighton. A few weeks later I went out on a session and I must have scratched it against everything I walked past!

Now everytime I wear it, it reminds me why I should never buy nice things!

I've got a Speedmaster and am very conscious about not wearing it while out on the piss because I know how clumsy I am. I picked up the glass case back which gives me double anxiety.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
You can't beat a Casio, solar powered and radio controlled. Should outlast me. And it ALWAYS tells the right time.

In terms of "doing the job", how can you improve on that? I've got some other watches but never wear them.

My G-Shock will outlive me and the majority of more expensive watches it shares shelf space with.

Casio and Seiko are the most underrated brands.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have a collection of casio digitals... literally 15 of them, all under £20, I keep them in a watch case so I can see them hehe

I get a lot of joy out of them for something so cheap.

My daily watch is the Casio F-91W a whopping £8 I believe, but a design classic bit of retro I love it.

My brother has a rather nice collection at the other end of the market, he's just dropped close to 3k on a Tudor watch.. if you know your watches... you know apparently !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've a Rolex Submariner and a Tag Aquaracer, the only comment I'd make to people is the value is maintained by the condition and the service history, so be aware of the servicing costs before making your purchases if you are doing any purchases as an investment. If like me you're not doing for that then suck it up and enjoy your watch!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have a collection of casio digitals... literally 15 of them, all under £20.

I get a lot of joy out of them.

My brother has a rather nice collection at the other end of the market, he's just dropped close to 3k on a Tudor watch.. if you know your watches... you know apparently !

Tudor Bay Brown?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was really into watched when I was little, I don't wear one now though.

When I was 8 or 9 in the 80s I designed my dream watch, sent it to Casio UK HQ and not so long after I received a package from them. It contained a letter from the UK boss thanking me for the design and explaining how watches are limited to a certain number of functions (the one I drew could do EVERYTHING...of course) and he said he would send it on to the head designer in Tokyo blah blah blah. The best bit however, was they had sent me their brand new release, which was a waterproof calculator watch and to say I was chuffed with it was an understatement.

It was a really nice gesture way before social media, so they weren't looking for free publicity with it, they were just thanking me for showing an interest.
Thats cool!

It sounds like you designed a smart watch, should have patented it:lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As a big sea swimmer it's got to be a Citizen Eco Drive dive watch for me. 11 years of trouble-free accurate timekeeping service to date (as long as you give it sufficient daylight exposure) and the original strap still in mint condition in spite of regular salt water immersion. Great battery-free watches that look great too.

Not a swimmer, but on my second eco-drive - love the multiple time zone capability and the solar power (no winding or battery replacement, ever) and robust as hell.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Used to be into watches in a big way but became too obsessive so sold a few high end ones. Trouble I found that the increase in value took out a lot of the fun of ownership and was increasingly worried about being a target if wore them out. Had vintage Tudor sub 76100 and a Rolex GMT 11 (Pepsi) sold years ago. As others said service costs are expensive.
Currently have 1950’s bumper Omega seamaster, and same era Rolex Precision, Bulova. Casio and few others.
Daily watch is a Tudor Black Bay.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'd love a "nice" watch, the three I keep going back to are a Speedmaster, Railmaster or a Bremont U-2 but they'll have to wait for the time being.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Black Bay 58 Blue. He should get it before Xmas he tells me.

Spoke to a company in Chichester about the Tudor Bay Brown, they said it'd take 12-18 months to get one so I put my name on the waiting list and got a call two weeks later, wasn't impressed as they'd spoken about how rare they were, so did my homework and lots of stores had them and would discount!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Spoke to a company in Chichester about the Tudor Bay Brown, they said it'd take 12-18 months to get one so I put my name on the waiting list and got a call two weeks later, wasn't impressed as they'd spoken about how rare they were, so did my homework and lots of stores had them and would discount!

My Brother had been experiencing similar issues with waiting lists, and just happened to pop into a shop in Eastbourne over the weekend and got lucky I guess.
He has had his name down on waiting lists in several places.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here