Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unpopular Opinion - Our Window This Far

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I don’t think we could present the same goal threat with those midfield players.

They’re all capable midfielders and even with both Maupay and Connolly fit, they’ll score a few.

As I mentioned earlier somewhere, they are not instinctive strikers, they are not all going to arrive in the box at the right time and get the scraps and tap ins, Tross and Ali J are gonna score with a few decent shots, but they’re just not instinctive strikers......Think of the goal Maupay scored v Arsenal, the instinctive swivel in behind the defender, the flick from Connolly....Swap an injured Maupay with anyone of those midfielders and they don’t score that goal as that is an instinctive strikers movement for that goal imho.

We could still score and win games, but those 2 are the only natural strikers and they will both find goals in positions the midfielders wouldn’t.

We seem to have gone down the route of a fluid and pacey front two or three, comprising not the tallest or most powerful of forwards. This is increasingly popular in the PL with Liverpool, then Solskjaer gets rid of Lukaku and copies it, CP sideline Benteke/Wickham/Sorloth and go for a pacey front line, Arsenal is pretty similar, do Leicester or West Ham play a traditional tall centre forward?

Appears to be the way that Ashworth and Potter see us playing from now on.

They must be supremely confident that over 38 games it will yield a stack of wins.

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Agreed. It’s been painfully obvious we need a left wing back and a striker. Shame that Nunez guy didn’t come off. But I don’t know the clubs’ stance / finances so I’ll trust in them - and the window for domestic isn’t closed so still may get a player or 2...

Only the board knows the real finances but you have to ask why we aren't competitive in the market. Have we had our fingers burnt with a few of our previous poor signings or simply not got the finances to compete.
I feel we are a couple of players short of a good side and hoped this would be the window to sign those two players, like you say a LB and a No. 9.
Oh well always the January window...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Deluded apologists two players we needed, none came in.

Zaha-Schelotto-Brighton-Palace-640x420.jpg

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We have little in reserve and little alternatives up front if results are not as we would like and/or if we suffer injuries. Lose against Palace and WBA and there may be a slightly different complexion on the window.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I know not many agree with me, but I’m actually pretty happy with the business done in this window.

Although we’ve only spent around £6m on players so far, we have increased the quality of our squad. Lallana & Veltman add much needed experience at bargain prices. Players like Zeqiri & van Hecke are likely to be sold on for a profit, or they may even have a successful career with the Albion. I am also pleased with to be announced (according to Naylor) deals for Jakub Moder & Michal Karbownik. These players help us to achieve our long term visions. The short term is not always the most important.

We have also see young players return from loan; most notably Ben White. Jayson Molumby & Christian Walton will provide competition for places. Ben White for Duffy, Molumby for Stevens, and Walton for Button, seem to be improvements on what we had.

We have spent close to £200m on transfer fees since we have been in the Prem. I think that it is time to focus on improving team cohesion, because we have young quality players.

We thought that COVID would see lots of bargain deals, but that is not really the case. When I compare the Neal Maupay & Ollie Watkins deals; two players with very similar scoring records and ages, Ollie Watkins costed £8m more than Maupay did.

One complaint can be that we need to sign a striker. Although I would like to see a striker, I don’t think that it is absolutely necessary. Players like Jahanbakhsh and Trossard could do a decent job if Maupay/Connolly fall out of form or are injured. If a cost effective strikers is available, we should buy them. If not, I believe that we will be fine without them

I’m also happy that TB can make a substantial profit, after how much money he has poured into the club. I have full trust in TB, and if he decides not to buy, than I believe that it is for the best.

I agree with most of your post but not the bit about the strikers. We are well past the days of sticking Adam Virgo up front to do a job, we are in the premiership for god sake, only the best strikers do a decent job up front in the prem, let alone players that are being played out of position!

Hearing Potter mention Ali J as cover is laughable....he can't even get in the team in his favoured position ffs!

Whichever way you look at it Its mind boggling that we are going in to the season with only 2 recognised strikers (one of which is hardly prolific) and a fella who scored most of his goals in the Swiss second division. One serious injury to Maupay and we are screwed!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Its been a fine transfer window.

Sure, it would have been even better with another striker but it is fine as it is. Maupay is nearly immune to injuries, Connolly is good and I have no doubt Trossard (and possibly, but less certain, Ali J) would do fine up front.

Brought in two leaders in Lallana and Veltman and two great talents in White and Alzate with no really important players leaving.

The window was a bit dull, but by no means bad.

That'll be Maupay out for 8 months against Palace then

Agree with your post overall though

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its been a fine transfer window.

Sure, it would have been even better with another striker but it is fine as it is. Maupay is nearly immune to injuries, Connolly is good and I have no doubt Trossard (and possibly, but less certain, Ali J) would do fine up front.

Brought in two leaders in Lallana and Veltman and two great talents in White and Alzate with no really important players leaving.

The window was a bit dull, but by no means bad.

Yep, agree with all of that. Pleased with all of the ins and outs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I know not many agree with me, but I’m actually pretty happy with the business done in this window.

Although we’ve only spent around £6m on players so far, we have increased the quality of our squad. Lallana & Veltman add much needed experience at bargain prices. Players like Zeqiri & van Hecke are likely to be sold on for a profit, or they may even have a successful career with the Albion. I am also pleased with to be announced (according to Naylor) deals for Jakub Moder & Michal Karbownik. These players help us to achieve our long term visions. The short term is not always the most important.

We have also see young players return from loan; most notably Ben White. Jayson Molumby & Christian Walton will provide competition for places. Ben White for Duffy, Molumby for Stevens, and Walton for Button, seem to be improvements on what we had.

We have spent close to £200m on transfer fees since we have been in the Prem. I think that it is time to focus on improving team cohesion, because we have young quality players.

We thought that COVID would see lots of bargain deals, but that is not really the case. When I compare the Neal Maupay & Ollie Watkins deals; two players with very similar scoring records and ages, Ollie Watkins costed £8m more than Maupay did.

One complaint can be that we need to sign a striker. Although I would like to see a striker, I don’t think that it is absolutely necessary. Players like Jahanbakhsh and Trossard could do a decent job if Maupay/Connolly fall out of form or are injured. If a cost effective strikers is available, we should buy them. If not, I believe that we will be fine without them

I’m also happy that TB can make a substantial profit, after how much money he has poured into the club. I have full trust in TB, and if he decides not to buy, than I believe that it is for the best.
Worst summer window since promotion. The side is weaker than last season :facepalm: Have you seen us without Lamptey on the pitch team of cart horses. Can’t defend set plays, can’t take set plays can’t hold on to a lead or equaliser for more than five minutes.... Am I saying anything that isn’t true ??? Four season of PL football and we are now so reliant on Lamptey having a good game is embarrassing. We should of buried Manure by half time only we could manage to lose that game. As for White he got sold like a pup by Rashford, bullied by Lewin he still has a lot to learn so no I don’t agree with you.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Worst summer window since promotion. The side is weaker than last season :facepalm: Have you seen us without Lamptey on the pitch team of cart horses. Can’t defend set plays, can’t take set plays can’t hold on to a lead or equaliser for more than five minutes.... Am I saying anything that isn’t true ??? Four season of PL football and we are now so reliant on Lamptey having a good game is embarrassing. We should of buried Manure by half time only we could manage to lose that game. As for White he got sold like a pup by Rashford, bullied by Lewin he still has a lot to learn so no I don’t agree with you.

Dr.-Who.gif

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Of course. And I'm sure the other very pessimistic, negative entitled moaners will agree with you.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

https://i.imgflip.com/33cqzr.jpg

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Wasting your time trying to explain it to the lickers they’ll never grasp it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Whilst I cannot agree with all of your points, this is a deeply dissapponting window. We have still not acquired a quality striker, after what, six seasons? We have let our talismanic forward go without having a clue what to do next. Yeah Ollie Watkins was expensive, good strikers do not grow on trees, but six years, really? If the Maupay, Andone, Locadia money had been pooled we might have had 30 or 40 million to spend, as it is we have Maupay. It is not the lack of striker this time around, it is a culmination of years of being unable to kick on. TB wants top 10 he says, I am not sure he really does, you cannot achieve that long term without having a serious threat to the opposition goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I've had to pick this line out, because unfortunately, the short term is MASSIVELY IMPORTANT, now more more so than ever.

If we drop out of the Premier League, with zero crowds, we are falling into a financial abyss. I honestly don't know how long EFL clubs can carry on under this current crisis, nobody does. PL clubs are at least still being propped up by the billions in broadcasting rights, there is still always going to be a TV product to sell to the masses, crowds or no crowds. But nobody pays to watch QPR v Barnsley, and if we we end up plunged into that market, then we are bang. in. trouble. With the rest of them.

So whilst a long term plan is all well and dandy, and not something we should lose sight of, the short term - the here and now - is more crucial than its EVER been before. Pre-Covid, relegation from the PL would probably not have been a catastrophe for BHA. Now though ?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I've had to pick this line out, because unfortunately, the short term is MASSIVELY IMPORTANT, now more more so than ever.

If we drop out of the Premier League, with zero crowds, we are falling into a financial abyss. I honestly don't know how long EFL clubs can carry on under this current crisis, nobody does. PL clubs are at least still being propped up by the billions in broadcasting rights, there is still always going to be a TV product to sell to the masses, crowds or no crowds. But nobody pays to watch QPR v Barnsley, and if we we end up plunged into that market, then we are bang. in. trouble. With the rest of them.

So whilst a long term plan is all well and dandy, and not something we should lose sight of, the short term - the here and now - is more crucial than its EVER been before. Pre-Covid, relegation from the PL would probably not have been a catastrophe for BHA. Now though ?

spot on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Whilst I cannot agree with all of your points, this is a deeply dissapponting window. We have still not acquired a quality striker, after what, six seasons? We have let our talismanic forward go without having a clue what to do next. Yeah Ollie Watkins was expensive, good strikers do not grow on trees, but six years, really? If the Maupay, Andone, Locadia money had been pooled we might have had 30 or 40 million to spend, as it is we have Maupay. It is not the lack of striker this time around, it is a culmination of years of being unable to kick on. TB wants top 10 he says, I am not sure he really does, you cannot achieve that long term without having a serious threat to the opposition goal.
Football is about opinions, agree don’t agree that’s fine. The top ten quote should of been kept private tbh, we had just beaten Everton TB & PB got carried away handing out six year deals for Potter and spouting top ten ambitions on talk shite. The PL league is mostly defined by budget hardly rocket science to see where we will end up come the end of the season. I have no idea of the clubs strategy this season perhaps it will all be explained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here