Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unpopular Opinion - Our Window This Far

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
I know not many agree with me, but I’m actually pretty happy with the business done in this window.

Although we’ve only spent around £6m on players so far, we have increased the quality of our squad. Lallana & Veltman add much needed experience at bargain prices. Players like Zeqiri & van Hecke are likely to be sold on for a profit, or they may even have a successful career with the Albion. I am also pleased with to be announced (according to Naylor) deals for Jakub Moder & Michal Karbownik. These players help us to achieve our long term visions. The short term is not always the most important.

We have also see young players return from loan; most notably Ben White. Jayson Molumby & Christian Walton will provide competition for places. Ben White for Duffy, Molumby for Stevens, and Walton for Button, seem to be improvements on what we had.

We have spent close to £200m on transfer fees since we have been in the Prem. I think that it is time to focus on improving team cohesion, because we have young quality players.

We thought that COVID would see lots of bargain deals, but that is not really the case. When I compare the Neal Maupay & Ollie Watkins deals; two players with very similar scoring records and ages, Ollie Watkins costed £8m more than Maupay did.

One complaint can be that we need to sign a striker. Although I would like to see a striker, I don’t think that it is absolutely necessary. Players like Jahanbakhsh and Trossard could do a decent job if Maupay/Connolly fall out of form or are injured. If a cost effective strikers is available, we should buy them. If not, I believe that we will be fine without them

I’m also happy that TB can make a substantial profit, after how much money he has poured into the club. I have full trust in TB, and if he decides not to buy, than I believe that it is for the best.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good post, but I’m not sure Tony will be seeing a profit. In fact likely need to put another £20M+ into the club

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don’t disagree. We finished the season strongly. 12 points from a fairly tricky run of 9 games extrapolates to over 50 points in a season, and we’ve added Lallana to our midfield and White to a 3 man defence that gets the most out of Lamptey.

I never understand why pundits like to say teams have had a good transfer window just because a team has spent a lot of money on fees.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it is a reasonable window so far - with 11 more days in the football league window to go.

Also, is there going to be a PL bailout of the football league ? Plenty of posters are very vocal that this should happen. Maybe the £5-£10 million for that will cost us the funds for buying a striker ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t disagree. We finished the season strongly. 12 points from a fairly tricky run of 9 games extrapolates to over 50 points in a season, and we’ve added Lallana to our midfield and White to a 3 man defence that gets the most out of Lamptey.

I never understand why pundits like to say teams have had a good transfer window just because a team has spent a lot of money on fees.

Exactly. Fulham, recently, anyone? ???

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I know not many agree with me, but I’m actually pretty happy with the business done in this window.

Although we’ve only spent around £6m on players so far, we have increased the quality of our squad. Lallana & Veltman add much needed experience at bargain prices. Players like Zeqiri & van Hecke are likely to be sold on for a profit, or they may even have a successful career with the Albion. I am also pleased with to be announced (according to Naylor) deals for Jakub Moder & Michal Karbownik. These players help us to achieve our long term visions. The short term is not always the most important.

We have also see young players return from loan; most notably Ben White. Jayson Molumby & Christian Walton will provide competition for places. Ben White for Duffy, Molumby for Stevens, and Walton for Button, seem to be improvements on what we had.

We have spent close to £200m on transfer fees since we have been in the Prem. I think that it is time to focus on improving team cohesion, because we have young quality players.

We thought that COVID would see lots of bargain deals, but that is not really the case. When I compare the Neal Maupay & Ollie Watkins deals; two players with very similar scoring records and ages, Ollie Watkins costed £8m more than Maupay did.

I’m also happy that TB can make a substantial profit, after how much money he has poured into the club. I have full trust in TB, and if he decides not to buy, than I believe that it is for the best.

For the future yes maybe, to reduce costs, a big success. For the here and now, it’s been poor imho.

Lallana is decent, nothing on Mooy’s first few months yet, Veltman is experienced, but Not bigger, Better or more battle hardened PL experience than Duffy?

We’ve lost a decent striker in Murray, who still would get a few with opportunities and service, plus good defensively. We’ve lost an experienced DM.

I like the tilt to academy, but we’ve lost a lot of experience and on field leaders and haven’t replaced that.

In 2 years some of these players may be gems, some not. We need to stay in the league first and foremost and we’ve weakened not strengthened our overall squad.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the two Polish players sign and play for us from January, I'm fairly satisfied with the ins and outs.

But ultimately, we all do it, the modern obsession with transfer talk and desperation for signings isn't the be all and end all for a club's progress.

We need to turn good play in some games into PL wins, starting at Selhurst then the WBA game. No excuses of bad luck or blaming the officials.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its been a fine transfer window.

Sure, it would have been even better with another striker but it is fine as it is. Maupay is nearly immune to injuries, Connolly is good and I have no doubt Trossard (and possibly, but less certain, Ali J) would do fine up front.

Brought in two leaders in Lallana and Veltman and two great talents in White and Alzate with no really important players leaving.

The window was a bit dull, but by no means bad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

"Have had a good transfer window" is Sky's stock phrase.

They've said that on c. 19 of 20 of Tottenham's last transfer windows, wooed because Levy brings in a load of names and always one or two on deadline day. Their fans euphoric. Then might have an underwhelming season and go pot-less again.

Tonight they're so full of it about Tottenham, ManC, Arsenal and Leeds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

One complaint can be that we need to sign a striker. Although I would like to see a striker, I don’t think that it is absolutely necessary. Players like Jahanbakhsh and Trossard could do a decent job if Maupay/Connolly fall out of form or are injured. If a cost effective strikers is available, we should buy them. If not, I believe that we will be fine without them

Agreed - squad is stronger in terms of being able to adapt to Potter’s philosophy. Lallana will prove to be an inspired signing I reckon. Averaging 2 goals a game this season currently - sort out our defensive organisation (maybe 2 week break now is well timed) and get Dunk back in form and we’ll be fine. The longer term future looks excellent.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not properly strengthened our weakest position - up front - while other teams around us have. Poor.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Its been a fine transfer window.

Sure, it would have been even better with another striker but it is fine as it is. Maupay is nearly immune to injuries, Connolly is good and I have no doubt Trossard (and possibly, but less certain, Ali J) would do fine up front.

Brought in two leaders in Lallana and Veltman and two great talents in White and Alzate with no really important players leaving.

The window was a bit dull, but by no means bad.

Alzate made his full PL debut over a year ago and was a regular all season until he had to have a groin op!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
For the future yes maybe, to reduce costs, a big success. For the here and now, it’s been poor imho.

Lallana is decent, nothing on Mooy’s first few months yet, Veltman is experienced, but Not bigger, Better or more battle hardened PL experience than Duffy?

We’ve lost a decent striker in Murray, who still would get a few with opportunities and service, plus good defensively. We’ve lost an experienced DM.

I like the tilt to academy, but we’ve lost a lot of experience and on field leader and haven’t replaced that.

In 2 years some of these players may be hens, some not. We need to stay in the league first and foremost and we’ve weakened not strengthened our overall squad.

I don't really agree with this. Veltman has looked very good, he may not be the same kind of player as Duffy, but he has brought another kind of quality which Duffy didn't have. Stephens has gone, but I'd take Alzate in the middle over Stephens any day, so his step up fills that gap, with Molumby, Lallana, Bissouma all part of our midfield options, and Propper is still here too. I'd say we look stronger in that position. Maupay and Connolly look great to me up front, so we have lost a backup striker in Murray. We have also brought in a younger backup striker with similar qualities. Don't see the problem there really.

I think our squad is strong, stronger than it was last season. Strong enough to achieve a respectable league position well out of any relegation scrap. We are ready as we are for this season IMO.

The recruitment for the academy, the young players we have brought in, they are all coming with great reputations for their age, all considered real prospects who have drawn attention in their previous leagues. I am delighted with the work we have done there, and these two today, if it happens will make our work in that area absolutely brilliant IMO.

My feeling is basically that our current squad is ready for this season, it was before today. I really have no worries about that. We've played 4, and been very good in those games, in two of them we have been exceptional. We also had an off day, but that doesn't change my view that we look great right now.

Our current academy is now going to provide lots of talent, if not for the coming season, then for the seasons to follow. Now that we have a consistent approach to the game across all levels - First Team, Academy, DoF, Manager - we are going out and getting the young players who will fit in with that philosophy. I find that very very exciting.

I just want us to get these two today over the line, and I will be very happy with our business. Economically sensible, improved our squad, & forward thinking.

Very happy.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I'm happy with it.

Everyone went insane when we shipped Locadia and Andone last season and it was our best ever season. This time we ship Murray and were playing better than ever.

Sell Conolley and Maupay and we'll look like Barcelona

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Going into the season with only two strikers with a little premier league experience netting 18 goals in 69 combined starts is a massive concern.

Main problem last season was not winning games we drew where we were the better team and I can see this repeating and any injury to maupay of Connolly will be very hurtful.

Hope I’m wrong but the main issues was upfront and we haven’t addressed it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't really agree with this. Veltman has looked very good, he may not be the same kind of player as Duffy, but he has brought another kind of quality which Duffy didn't have. Stephens has gone, but I'd take Alzate in the middle over Stephens any day, so his step up fills that gap, with Molumby, Lallana, Bissouma all part of our midfield options, and Propper is still here too. I'd say we look stronger in that position. Maupay and Connolly look great to me up front, so we have lost a backup striker in Murray. We have also brought in a younger backup striker with similar qualities. Don't see the problem there really.

I think our squad is strong, stronger than it was last season. Strong enough to achieve a respectable league position well out of any relegation scrap. We are ready as we are for this season IMO.

The recruitment for the academy, the young players we have brought in, they are all coming with great reputations for their age, all considered real prospects who have drawn attention in their previous leagues. I am delighted with the work we have done there, and these two today, if it happens will make our work in that area absolutely brilliant IMO.

My feeling is basically that our current squad is ready for this season, it was before today. I really have no worries about that. We've played 4, and been very good in those games, in two of them we have been exceptional. We also had an off day, but that doesn't change my view that we look great right now.

Our current academy is now going to provide lots of talent, if not for the coming season, then for the seasons to follow. Now that we have a consistent approach to the game across all levels - First Team, Academy, DoF, Manager - we are going out and getting the young players who will fit in with that philosophy. I find that very very exciting.

I just want us to get these two today over the line, and I will be very happy with our business. Economically sensible, improved our squad, & forward thinking.

Very happy.

That’s fair enough. I’m glad you’re happy and certainly agree with the bottom half of your post about future potential. I’m not convinced in the here and now we have the same strength in depth. And that’s experience, quality and numbers.

First team is more than adequate, it’s when the injuries start. No striker sub option at Everton because we don’t have one. Ryan with some questionable traits backed up by Steele/Walton. Rock solid central defence looking increasingly vulnerable.

Love the new style, and Potter is a gent. Live in hope that injuries to certain players don’t totally derail our season.

The future is bright it’s the Unknowns in the next 8 months with limited ready and experienced cover.

UTA

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

It’s all part of the circle jerk gravy train that is the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here