Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC ads

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Please tell me that you don't use the Ad Blocker on NSC ?

This thread just reminded me to whitelist NSC after I'd reinstalled my adblocker.

I've only seen ads for upgraded versions of Vimeo and other creative software so far. Which is odd as I'm the last person in the world who would be involved in any sort of creative media.

Oh, there's one for BT broadband who I would also never use.

I think the algorithm is having a wobble.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Because...

I'm a journalist - ads pay my salary (and for NSC too)

If everyone ran an ad blocker on NSC there would be no NSC. The same for many, many sites.

If you are logged in to NSC the ads are not intrusive at all, and intentionally so. I use NSC a lot, and see all the ads. As a result, I wouldn't make the site shit to use like so many sites.

This has reminded me to check how many people are blocking ads - I've not checked for a few months - and see if it is now the time to block the site from the ad-blockers. Thanks for the reminder.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Because...

If everyone ran an ad blocker on NSC there would be no NSC. The same for many, many sites.

If you are logged in to NSC the ads are not intrusive at all, and intentionally so. I use NSC a lot, and see all the ads. As a result, I wouldn't make the site shit to use like so many sites.

This has reminded me to check how many people are blocking ads - I've not checked for a few months - and see if it is now the time to block the site from the ad-blockers. Thanks for the reminder.

Rather than block the ad-blocker users immediately maybe just publish their usernames in a thread ? Gives them a chance to rectify their naughtiness.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Rather than block the ad-blocker users immediately maybe just publish their usernames in a thread ? Gives them a chance to rectify their naughtiness.

Yeah if you use an adblocker (which is very necessary on a lot of sites) then it's easy to forget to whitelist the ones that you want to contribute to (rather than the ones that make their sites unusable due to ads).

Especially if you've had to reinstall Chrome etc.

As I said. I've always whitelisted NSC but I had forgotten (PLEASE DON'T BAN ME!!!!!). :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because...

Thank you.
I have just got a new iPad and installed an ad blocker ( hands up, I’m sorry, shoot me now ) :D
When I had my old iPad I would often click on a thread with a link to a newspaper story, often I couldn’t read the story as the ads would take for ever to load or the whole thing would crash.
The new iPad is great but while NSC ads are not really an issue the newspaper links are still a nightmare, I see lots of ads and the story seems to be hard work to read.
I also use a trade forum that has more ads than I could shake a stick at, posters on the trade forum have been complaining about the ads, someone suggested an ad blocker.

Since I installed an ad block everything is great, I click on links and enjoy the other forum.

I would say I’ve seen some odd advertising on here before I installed the ad block.
I’m the only person that uses this iPad, I look at NSC,Twitter, trade forum, emails and I buy stuff from Screwfix.
Not one clue why I get adverts for All Saints women’s clothing and ladies underwear ads :ohmy: I would own up if I honestly looked up this stuff :lol: but if Mrs BN9 looks at my screen when some ladies underwear ads appear I’m not mr popular.

As I’m not exactly an expert on computers etc I don’t know how to not use the ad block on NSC.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It doesn't quite work like that.

Ad-blcoker software detects common ad-serving technologies on sites and doesn't load those bits of a page when a browser loads the site.

So I deploy a piece of code on the site that detects ad-blocker software and doesn't load any of the site at all.

It's a ridiculous digital arms race, which is why I would hop that by keeping ads on NSC to a low level, most decent people would whitelist the site. Unfortunately, there are a fair few people out there who aren't decent in the slightest.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Because...

These days, do you get anything from just showing the ads or is it just clicks that matter?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It doesn't quite work like that.

Ad-blcoker software detects common ad-serving technologies on sites and doesn't load those bits of a page when a browser loads the site.

So I deploy a piece of code on the site that detects ad-blocker software and doesn't load any of the site at all.

It's a ridiculous digital arms race, which is why I would hop that by keeping ads on NSC to a low level, most decent people would whitelist the site. Unfortunately, there are a fair few people out there who aren't decent in the slightest.

Ah, OK.

Block the ******** then :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I occasionally use my iPhone to look at NSC, I haven’t installed an ad block on the phone, I’m currently seeing an advert for investing in Whiskey, WTAF?
I hate Whiskey and I’m not someone that gets involved in investments.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
These days, do you get anything from just showing the ads or is it just clicks that matter?

I believe it varies, but the whole process is quite opaque, so I'd have no idea which ads earn what and how.

Every time someone renders a page, some sort of auction happens in micro-seconds which determine what ads that person sees. NSC earns pence for every 1,000 pages it shows - forums are the dirty end of the internet as companies are rightly guarded about what content their name may appear next to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I occasionally use my iPhone to look at NSC, I haven’t installed an ad block on the phone, I’m currently seeing an advert for investing in Whiskey, WTAF?

Very possibly untargeted ads. If you have cookie security cranked up high, knowingly or otherwise, the ad auction won't know anything about you. This means you can't be targeted based on prior behaviour, meaning you could get all kinds of shit in the ad slots.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But there's been relatively long thread on whisk(e)y on NSC recently

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Why are most of the ads that I'm getting on NSC this past week in French? I'm not based in France and haven't been looking at any French sites lately.

Is it because of the links about Dia that have been posted? Does that mean we're going to get loads of ads in Polish later in the week, thanks to our latest signing?

C'est drôle, n'est ce pas?

Are you playing the french defence in any of your chess matches, bought a book maybe? :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I rarely get ads at all ... that's on a Windows desktop and also in Chrome or Safari on Apple devices.

Just the ads which [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] might place in a thread, and the unobtrusive (i.e. unlike the crappy Argus) ads for Squareplace Website Builder.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
CPC, CPM? What!? You should define your acronyms.

Sorry.

CPC = cost-per-click (= NSC getting money from people clicking the ads)

CPM = cost per... something (= NSC getting money from thousand people seeing the ad)

CPE = cost-per-engagement (= NSC getting money from people first clicking the ad and then buying something from that company within x hours/days)

Think NSC could be a really good CPE market and grow as a forum with some increased/modernized SEO. Bozza is probably aware of it but perhaps hard to do much about it, I dont know much about vBulletin forums.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry.

CPC = cost-per-click (= NSC getting money from people clicking the ads)

CPM = cost per... something (= NSC getting money from thousand people seeing the ad)

CPE = cost-per-engagement (= NSC getting money from people first clicking the ad and then buying something from that company within x hours/days)

Think NSC could be a really good CPE market and grow as a forum with some increased/modernized SEO. Bozza is probably aware of it but perhaps hard to do much about it, I dont know much about vBulletin forums.

CPM = Cost Per Mille (thousand impressions)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here