Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC ads

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If that is the case would it not be useful to have some bot accounts run by raspberry pis or something simply logging in and loading pages constantly?
That way NSC can retain income and we can all use a blocker to not see the ads?

1. As previously stated, I have no idea what and how many ads pay by clicks and those by impressions. I was merely explaining what the term meant.

2. Such an approach would last a matter of days before the ad networks noticed the fraudulent activity and banned the site.

You may be the kind of individual who looks to act fraudulently - I'll pass on that, thanks.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure how they would notice :shrug: If you take a look at all the shady shit people get away with without any punishment, why shouldn't we be able to do that!?

The companies that place the ads can get reports ( often automated ) of IP addresses that have loaded their ad. It wouldn't take long to work out that someone was doing what you suggested because the reports would show thousands of entries from one IP address.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No, no VPM - just my home Virgin Media connection.

Is Boggil Milano an Italian car dealer? I had loads of ads from onre about a year ago. Again, I assumed that must be a NSC thing as the only Italian pages I see are links from this site

Could be the italian pages are due to latin in your signature maybe?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The companies that place the ads can get reports ( often automated ) of IP addresses that have loaded their ad. It wouldn't take long to work out that someone was doing what you suggested because the reports would show thousands of entries from one IP address.

Google invest a huge amount of money in ad fraud as they need to retain the trust of their advertisers in order to keep the money flowing in.

Everything a site does will be monitored, and as soon as patterns outside the norm are detected, you'll be under great scrutiny.

"Google has created, by far, the most robust anti-click fraud program. Their system of detection uses a three pronged approach that starts with automated filters. Advanced algorithms detect and filter out invalid clicks in real time, before advertisers are even charged. Since these filters cannot be relied on to catch all fraudulent clicks, Google’s Ad Traffic Quality Team also conducts manual, offline analysis and removes any clicks that they deem invalid before advertisers are charged. Aside from these proactive measures, Google also launches investigations based on advertisers’ reports of suspicious activity. Anytime malicious clicks are detected, they are labeled as “invalid” and credits are issued to the account."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Could be the italian pages are due to latin in your signature maybe?

Latin and Italian are not the same thing
In Italian it would be "Quando lavoro breve, divaro oscuro" - not really that close

For the past day, I've been getting ads for cat food. I don't have a cat; I'm not looking for a cat and I'm not gripped by cat pix. The wonders of NSC advertising never ceases to amaze

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Latin and Italian are not the same thing
In Italian it would be "Quando lavoro breve, divaro oscuro" - not really that close

For the past day, I've been getting ads for cat food. I don't have a cat; I'm not looking for a cat and I'm not gripped by cat pix. The wonders of NSC advertising never ceases to amaze

Maybe you should get a cat ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Agreed. I never notice ads. I don’t need an ad blocker. Even manage to switch off when they are shown on tv. It’s a life skill.

Have you ever seen a post with a link to a newspaper story?
Sometimes someone will even start a thread with just a link and hardly any clue to what the thread is actually about.
These newspaper links seem to be jammed packed with ads, sometimes I actually want to read the story, especially if it’s about the Albion.

Not sure what life skill I need to not see the ads, well apart from finding how to use an ad blocker. :)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Have you ever seen a post with a link to a newspaper story?
Sometimes someone will even start a thread with just a link and hardly any clue to what the thread is actually about.
These newspaper links seem to be jammed packed with ads, sometimes I actually want to read the story, especially if it’s about the Albion.

Not sure what life skill I need to not see the ads, well apart from finding how to use an ad blocker. :)

Yes, but I only open newspaper links if they are to a broadsheet. I have learned that the tabloid and Argus websites just open up millions of adverts.
The life skill I was referring to is the ability to simply zone out and not notice adverts. Maybe it’s a medical condition rather than a life skill ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I note that today I'm getting ads in Polish from the TV licence people. I assume it's telling me to pay my licence but why NSC is serving Polish ads will, like the love of God, pass all understanding

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I note that today I'm getting ads in Polish from the TV licence people. I assume it's telling me to pay my licence but why NSC is serving Polish ads will, like the love of God, pass all understanding

I know you don't believe me, but it must be a "you" thing somewhere down the line because I've not heard of this from anyone else.

I checked the IP address of your post and it's a UK one, so it can't be that.

I'm still getting my usual mix of targeted ads (Nike and The Athletic) generally and other UK-focused stuff like Dell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, I am seeing German pet health insurance ads. No idea where this comes from.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know you don't believe me, but it must be a "you" thing somewhere down the line because I've not heard of this from anyone else.

But how it can be me? I'm based in the UK, with a UK service provider. I don't look at Polish sites. I don't speak any Polish - why on earth should a Polish ad be targeting me? (I actually don't know that it was Polish, that's just my guess because there was a single letter z in the text, something that I think is in Polish and not in any other slavonic language - but if it is another language, then I can't speak them either).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But how it can be me? I'm based in the UK, with a UK service provider. I don't look at Polish sites. I don't speak any Polish - why on earth should a Polish ad be targeting me? (I actually don't know that it was Polish, that's just my guess because there was a single letter z in the text, something that I think is in Polish and not in any other slavonic language - but if it is another language, then I can't speak them either).

I don't know - but there's something about you that the programmatic ad algorithms thinks is somewhat different to, I'm guessing, pretty much everyone else using the site from the UK.

You could try clearing all your NSC history, cache and cookies and seeing if that "resets" things.

I've never had a single ad of the kind you've been describing. I only see ads which are highly relevant to me, generally online stores I've recently visited, or large companies that trade in the UK.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know - but there's something about you that the programmatic ad algorithms thinks is somewhat different to, I'm guessing, pretty much everyone else using the site from the UK.

You could try clearing all your NSC history, cache and cookies and seeing if that "resets" things.

I've never had a single ad of the kind you've been describing. I only see ads which are highly relevant to me, generally online stores I've recently visited, or large companies that trade in the UK.

The strange thing is that I do visit foreign sites: I read online publications in French, German and Welsh but, I've only once been served a German ad and only a couple of times, a French one (I've never had an ad in Welsh!) but there was an Italian one that appeared for week after week, an ad in Thai (I think) and Malay (I think) and now this Polish one.

It's all very strange. I've had a go at clearing my history and seeing if that makes a difference.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here