Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] David Attenborough- A life on our planet

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just aired on Netflix. The future looks extremely bleak for the next generation unless there's a huge change in the way with live. Well worth the watch.
One thing that stuck with me, we and the animals we eat make up 96% of the worlds animals. Everything else from a mouse to a whale makes up the remaining 4%..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just aired on Netflix. The future looks extremely bleak for the next generation unless there's a huge change in the way with live. Well worth the watch.
One thing that stuck with me, we and the animals we eat make up 96% of the worlds animals. Everything else from a mouse to a whale makes up the remaining 4%..

You’ve never eaten a mouse, whale and ale pie?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

that would mean if we ended farming of animals, we'd remove 94% of animals from the world???

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Is it all the animals, though - or just the mammals? Because I bet the body weight of insects has been left out of that calculation.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If we killed humans at the same rate as we do animals the human race would be extinct within a week :(

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

The trouble is the majority of us are unwilling to embrace veganism so nothing will change.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is it all the animals, though - or just the mammals? Because I bet the body weight of insects has been left out of that calculation.

I saw a programme last night that said this particular colony of bats ate 30 tonnes of insects a night.
It was a lot of bats mind.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Probably best then that we dont start to kill ourselves at the same rate we do animals.

Or we could accept that our current ‘relationship’ with animals is not only innately cruel, it is also unsustainable and harms our planet :shrug:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Address the problem of over population and we can fix sustainability

And yet the majority of the world’s resources are consumed by less than 20% of the global population. And even if over population was the key issue over overconsumption, which is highly debatable, the science suggests that the single biggest thing individuals can do to reduce their impact on the environment is to consume less meat.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And yet the majority of the world’s resources are consumed by less than 20% of the global population. And even if over population was the key issue over overconsumption, which is highly debatable, the science suggests that the single biggest thing individuals can do to reduce their impact on the environment is to consume less meat.

“All our environmental problems become easier to solve with fewer people, and harder — and ultimately impossible — to solve with ever more people.”
– Sir David Attenborough, Population Matters patron

https://populationmatters.org/the-i...lPRw7gsPDrz75fW-xylTUMLcm979MoukaAi-iEALw_wcB

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
“All our environmental problems become easier to solve with fewer people, and harder — and ultimately impossible — to solve with ever more people.”

https://populationmatters.org/the-i...lPRw7gsPDrz75fW-xylTUMLcm979MoukaAi-iEALw_wcB

Yes, there is a certain logic that more people = more harm to the environment, but that doesn’t tell the whole story does it? Data shows that 50% of the global population is responsible for less than 10% of global emissions of greenhouse gases, whilst 100 companies are responsible for roughly 71% of emissions. I’m not so sure on the whole ‘nothing can be done because of overpopulation’ argument.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The trouble is the majority of us are unwilling to embrace veganism so nothing will change.
After watching this tonight, I realised that the wife and I eat meat 6/7 days a week. We have decided to do at least 1 night of fish and 1 night of veg. There is no way we will go full on vegy or vegan or anything else. It's a start.
Good program as always.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, there is a certain logic that more people = more harm to the environment, but that doesn’t tell the whole story does it? Data shows that 50% of the global population is responsible for less than 10% of global emissions of greenhouse gases, whilst 100 companies are responsible for roughly 71% of emissions. I’m not so sure on the whole ‘nothing can be done because of overpopulation’ argument.

Emissions would be reduced with fewer people.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

It’s one of the UNs five sustainability goals! You can’t argue with that. As for the 100 companies to blame, you mean the ones we all buy products from, work for, our pensions are invested in...those ones? We’re all responsible. Which is why We’re all going to hell in a handcart.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

He covers it on the documentary as well, as evidence shows that access to better healthcare and higher education standards (particularly for women) leads to people having less children, and ultimately population growth levelling off.

Watched it last night, it's one of the best documentaries I've seen. Attenborough is hugely inspirational. Wife and I decided to cut back to just one day of eating meat per week off the back of it - it's undeniable that the land space and emissions required to farm meat is unsustainable. It's leading to some massive problems for us as a race that we'll see within our lifetimes, and are already underway.

Including pandemics like the one we're in becoming more frequent, which is frankly terrifying.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here