Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LWB Back up plan

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With the exception of yesterday against a unique set of challenges that won’t arise normally, Potter’s wing back system has looked immense.

This is in no small part due to the astonishing performances of March & Lamptey.

However, if either of them gets a suspension, injury or sudden loss of form, I’m fearful that the system will break down and become ineffective.

With the club and manager trying to control fans’ expectations for the window closure tomorrow by promoting the line that ‘coaching’ is the answer rather than ‘signing’; which players are going to step up to the wing-back roles if either of this seasons early-form stars can’t start games for whatever reason.

I’m struggling to think of viable options but this question could become more critical once the international window slams shut (followed by the domestic one two weeks later) with no recruitment to these positions.

So has Potter got anyone in mind? Burn, Cochrane, Izquierdo, Yapi, Trossard or Veltman?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if Izquierdo could now be trained as a wing back ???

I think it’s taken at least a year to get Solly up to speed and he was good at tackling and man marking before Potter came along; there was that Palace March where he had Zaha in his pocket.

The Izzy conversion could take a lot longer.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Burn is a square peg in a round hole when played at left back let alone a left wing back. Ideally I would have liked us to bring in another LWB to compete with Solly but as that looks unlikely it would surely have to be Bernardo or Cochrane (in a pinch).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here