Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] After a night to sleep on it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any of you who completely lost your shit yesterday over our defeat feeling any different this morning?

Last night NSC was like a grumpy day at the creche with toys flying everywhere :lolol:

We really were not as bad as some of the posts on here would suggest.

Or are you still REALLY Angry?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I gave up caring at 3-1, the outcome was obvious

Not in the slightest bit angry as we kind of knew we'd come away with nothing.

I don't think GP got anything right yesterday, I just hope he learns from it. THe biggest concern is after such an abject display, particularly at the back we need to move on positively and get a good performance and some kind of result from our next game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We got what we deserved against a very good side. We weren’t terrible, we were ok overall but made some silly errors. We were very good last 20. Passing football played the right way. Everton squad and wages is huge. We have looked great overall this season. We’ll be mid table - we’ve had 3 very hard games against top 6 teams and should have got 4 points arguably. We twatter Newcastle and we’re magnificent. I’m pleased with our start due to performances. And yes, some pathetic moaning and attitudes yesterday on here from some. Vocal minority I think though.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We were very poor, soo many individual mistakes, poor set up for set pieces and not playing the conditions more. Everton are a top team on fire and I never expected a result and Maupay got another, four goals I s superb. But yes, I’m concerned about that performance, international break very welcome

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
The set-piece defending and individual errors were poor (don’t know why we’ve gone zonal, which removes accountability and has to stop) and in possession we were so slow. Totally different to the first three games.

It’s easy in hindsight but i think team selection was poor. Trossard was so effective against United from a central position, but yesterday he was played wide right with Connolly on the left, and didn’t look the same player. We missed Lallana’s experience and quality too.

We played ok in the last 15 minutes, but it’s easy to play at 4-1 down.

Not a great day at the office, but not a total disaster. Big game now against Palace, which we really need something from if we don’t want it to go from a good start to a poor one.

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
I think we played some reasonable football at times, undone by poor defending - especially at set pieces. The movement, slick passing and general interplay is way better than previous years. My concern is that some of the steel is missing from the team. Potter inherited one positive from CH; a cast iron defence with Duffy and Dunk at the heart of it, with the much maligned Stephens patrolling the area in front of the penalty area, doing the unsexy dark art stuff. Now we have a different set up, playing football that is immensely easy on the eye and earning plaudits from pundits and casual observers alike. We have a team full of skilful ball players, but we have lost the rugged spine we once have. Bissouma and Alzate are great prospects, but neither of them have the discipline, concentration or composure required for the holding role. My hope is that we have enough attacking verve to take us into the top half of the table, but my fear is that unless we can find a way to recapture our determination to keep our goal intact, leaking goals will be our undoing. White and Webster seem to be taking all the flak for defensive lapses, but to me the problem this season is Dunky. Much as I love him, he is nowhere near the levels we expect. He has been uncertain and error prone. Hopefully he will rediscover his mojo quickly because we are very short of leaders and need him back to his best.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I gave up caring at 3-1, the outcome was obvious

Not in the slightest bit angry as we kind of knew we'd come away with nothing.

I don't think GP got anything right yesterday, I just hope he learns from it. THe biggest concern is after such an abject display, particularly at the back we need to move on positively and get a good performance and some kind of result from our next game.

Pre-match I didn't think we’d come away with nothing though, because we have held our own in every game so far and this is a nuts PL season in terms of results and I think the general gutted mood on here is reflective of that somewhat elevated expectation, no matter how deluded some may call it. That first half injury time goal was a knife through the heart. All that is compounded for me by Leeds being more competitive in this division than expected, Villa potentially too, two teams I despise, the only vague solace from yesterday being the Palace result.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We were seemingly denied a positive result against Manchester United by some bad luck but played extremely well at times.
In our next match the same set of players seemingly performed poorly.
Encouragement followed by gloom. In reality the truth is somewhere in between.

It's a young team, that's now played Chelsea, Manchester United and a revitalised Everton side.
By the end of next month we would have played Palace, West Brom, Burnley and Villa. We'll then know where we realistically are.

With the struggles many of us are suffering with our mental health, the last thing we need to do is to further burden ourselves worrying about an Albion domesday scenario that in reality isn't there.
We have enough to concern ourselves about with financial struggles looming for many families and the lonely and difficult winter ahead.

I'm sure three points at Palace will solve the world's problems for most people on NSC.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Feel fine thanks for asking. We get this every season, Those that are are reasonable about how we’re doing, and those who loss their shit. Each to their own.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
- Our defense was usually our strength. Now we're suddenly shipping goals on a regular basis. What has happened? Dunk is experiencing a dip in form no doubt, but why? Is a back three not suiting his style of play? Is he missing Duffy? White has made a couple of errors but there's no doubt he's a class footballer. We need to analyze immediately how we handle set pieces. Apparently we're now zonal marking? If so it's not working. Potter needs to address the problem and quickly.
- Trossard's crossfield pass straight to an Everton player was a carbon copy of a similar pass by Bissouma early in the game that fortunately did not lead to a goal. And was it Alzate who did exactly the same in one of our first matches leading directly to a goal? Surely as a professional footballer you know to look before you pass? Cutting this out would help immensely.
- Our corners and free kicks were a joke. Our defenders were up waiting for a cross. The conditions made ball handling difficult. Pickford was error prone. So what do we do? Try short passes which end up with the ball back with Ryan. Crass stupidity. Sure we need to mix it up, but short corner after short corner was madness when it was clear they weren't working.
- Too much intricate stuff in the opposition's box. Shoot on sight in wet and windy conditions.

On reflection it wasn't all bad. Cut out the mistakes, tighten up at the back. a bit more luck in front of goal, and we could have had a point.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As previously mentioned in a previous thread on yesterday's loss.
We have played three of the alleged top sides and Newcastle.
Only have one win and a miserable goals against amount.
I'm cool at the moment.
I think the players will respond and were probably a tad affected after the Manure result in PL.
Onwards and upwards.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Any of you who completely lost your shit yesterday over our defeat feeling any different this morning?

Last night NSC was like a grumpy day at the creche with toys flying everywhere :lolol:

We really were not as bad as some of the posts on here would suggest.

Or are you still REALLY Angry?

Not angry - just disappointed. [emoji6]

Very frail defensively and against physical teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really hate the habit we now have of conceding goals immediately after we score.

I hope Potter comes up with a plan to minimise this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yep the vocal minority had their day in the sun yesterday.

We made mistakes, looked good in parts not so good in others. Defending set pieces needs work, our corners need work and some of the players needed to be a bit braver in having a shot against a keeper low in confidence. Everton did alright and were more clinical but we’ve got a good young team who are not the finished article yet and need a little patience from us lot.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
we’ve got a good young team who are not the finished article yet and need a little patience from us lot.

Think this is an important point.

However just wonder whether perhaps we need another experienced head. (Start Lallana for Alzate or Connolly maybe when playing bigger teams).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Think this is an important point.

However just wonder whether perhaps we need another experienced head. (Start Lallana for Alzate or Connolly maybe when playing bigger teams).

We looked more assured when Lallana came on yesterday without doubt.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lots of training themes for the international break.

Zonal marking vs Man to Man.

How to defend set pieces.

How to notice when a keeper is out of form and how to exploit them.

Finding a proper free kick taker.

How to make short corners work.

How to test a keeper with corners.

Protecting yourself from a break attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here