Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So its clear many expect nothing less than to beat ManU followed by winning at Everton...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
.. with the reserves knocking United out of the cup for good measure. And fair play I say, it's good to dream and set your expectations high. I want that to.

But with these expectations firmly set, and put clear inability to achieve it at present, how do we go about it?

Buying a team is the quickest route, but I worry we're not on a financial par with those clubs. Buying and paying players who routinely best Bernardo Silva, Pogba, and Rashford one week, followed by James Rodriguez and Richarlison the next, and have the strength in depth for the second string to march on in the cup, would set us back a cool half a billion or more.

We could try the tactic of playing a couple of big stoppers at the back who ping it forwards for a big guy up front, some good crossers on the wings and none of this passing it around or wing backs nonsense. Get it forward, put it in the mixer. get stuck in, lot of passion, winning formula, don't know what's hit them. I've a feeling that's been tried quite a lot in football history, however, and with or without the half a billion it doesn't get the consistent results anymore that it used to.

I guess that leaves the idea of developing youth, signing young players with potential and pairing them with a progressive coach who let's them develop and learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately this isn't an instant solution to the problem, there will be good days and bad days along the way with mistakes getting punished. And there's always the likelihood of the best players getting poached.

But I think to meet the expectations of routine back to back wins over such teams as Man Utd and Everton, its probably a sound option for us and I'd like to give it a go a bit longer before we go back to the drawing board.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
And the award for the most patronising and arrogant post of the season so far can be awarded right here!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
.. with the reserves knocking United out of the cup for good measure. And fair play I say, it's good to dream and set your expectations high. I want that to.

But with these expectations firmly set, and put clear inability to achieve it at present, how do we go about it?

Buying a team is the quickest route, but I worry we're not on a financial par with those clubs. Buying and paying players who routinely best Bernardo Silva, Pogba, and Rashford one week, followed by James Rodriguez and Richarlison the next, and have the strength in depth for the second string to march on in the cup, would set us back a cool half a billion or more.

We could try the tactic of playing a couple of big stoppers at the back who ping it forwards for a big guy up front, some good crossers on the wings and none of this passing it around or wing backs nonsense. Get it forward, put it in the mixer. get stuck in, lot of passion, winning formula, don't know what's hit them. I've a feeling that's been tried quite a lot in football history, however, and with or without the half a billion it doesn't get the consistent results anymore that it used to.

I guess that leaves the idea of developing youth, signing young players with potential and pairing them with a progressive coach who let's them develop and learn from their mistakes. Unfortunately this isn't an instant solution to the problem, there will be good days and bad days along the way with mistakes getting punished. And there's always the likelihood of the best players getting poached.

But I think to meet the expectations of routine back to back wins over such teams as Man Utd and Everton, its probably a sound option for us and I'd like to give it a go a bit longer before we go back to the drawing board.
For what it's worth I think you have hit the nail on the head

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's the same attitude we deride Leeds for, and I don't care for it, tbh.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agreed. There seem to be some hugely deluded fans about at the moment who seem to think that we deserve to be beating the big teams simply because we have been in the league for a few seasons.
That is a really lame and patronising post, are you a club apologist? All the games this season we could have got something with a little bit more quality on the pitch. Fans aren’t blind we notice things like Wilson winning Newcastle three more points in a game they probably would of drew or lost last season, why because they invested in bit of quality to get them goals, a club we came up with tbh they will be as safe as houses.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Our fan base are an enigma I'll never be able to figure out.

It seems like most of our fans want us to fly under the radar whilst also having our players and manager praised to high heaven. We want to mock Leeds fans for being arrogant whilst also being annoyed at losses to an extremely expensive Everton side managed by one of the best managers in the game. We want to tell Leeds fans that White might struggle with the step up whilst also writing him off whenever he makes a 'mistake'. We simultaneously want to compare ourselves to the team scraping survival at the Priestfield & Withdean whilst also placing ourselves above other similarly sized teams based on our 'potential' or 'future'.

I don't know, maybe every fanbase suffers this weird dichotomy and I only see if it with us because I'm a Brighton fan but it's hilarious and frustrating in equal meassures.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
How many more of these types of threads are we going to have tonight?

Christ, some fans are pissed off that we keep conceding ridiculously cheap goals and falling asleep after scoring ourselves. I feel fine myself but can understand people's frustrations tonight ffs

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

It seems like most of our fans want us to fly under the radar whilst also having our players and manager praised to high heaven. We want to mock Leeds fans for being arrogant whilst also being annoyed at losses to an extremely expensive Everton side managed by one of the best managers in the game. We want to tell Leeds fans that White might struggle with the step up whilst also writing him off whenever he makes a 'mistake'. We simultaneously want to compare ourselves to the team scraping survival at the Priestfield & Withdean whilst also placing ourselves above other similarly sized teams based on our 'potential' or 'future'.

I don't know, maybe every fanbase suffers this weird dichotomy and I only see if it with us because I'm a Brighton fan but it's hilarious and frustrating in equal meassures.

Its just an Internet football message board with a mix of fans with different viewpoints, the most outlandish on either side often the loudest, just like any other football message board? In reality, most fans are pretty balanced in real life. Very few Albion fans gave a shit about Leeds and their fans in real life, for example, whereas on here the whole thing was a huge drama. That's the effects of social media, I guess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I this the dub version of my thread? Or vice versa (not sure whose was first)?

You don't have a poll though, so at the moment this one is shitehouse.

Still, your spelling's pretty decent :whistle:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Its just an Internet football message board with a mix of fans with different viewpoints, the most outlandish on either side often the loudest, just like any other football message board? In reality, most fans are pretty balanced in real life. Very few Albion fans gave a shit about Leeds and their fans in real life, for example, whereas on here the whole thing was a huge drama. That's the effects of social media, I guess.

You're probably right, tbh. As I (tried) to say, the fact I see our fans the most probably taints my view.

That and the fact the joint-forum I use was infested by the worst posters off here which means we wre f*cking hated on there doesn't help :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

A lot of them should be ‘supporting’ Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea. We’ve played 2 of the top 4, another who have won 7/7 and look class and smashed the one game against someone of a similar standard and been fantastic. We’ve looked class in 3/4 league games, playing lovely passing football. But it’s not enough to just enjoy being in the prem supporting a team trying to play the right way for some - mind blowing!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The thing about a dichotomy is there are two sides to the story. On the one hand we have . . .

Sorry, I have to nip out for a bit. My will to live just sneaked out through the bathroom window and legged it up the road. Back in a mo....

Actually good sense like yours seems to be winning tonight :thumbsup:

Right (clears throat) Potter OUT! Sack the bard*. We are not CONTENT, and it's our RIGHT to, er, say that. Yes.

*Sorry [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION], mate. You have to go.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I watched the game and thought they dealt with an excellent Everton side who were pressing and putting the lads under pressure. It wasn't just raining, it was a constant barrage, and as their press was done with real quality, defenders are always under the cosh.
The whole league seems to be running to form in terms of home advantage despite there being no fans, so this result was always on the cards.
I thought Biss played well, and young Lamptey looked like a tired kid, and having his recent spell of excellent form and work-rate catch up with him.
Dunk has been off his best so far this season, but he's class and will come good - similar feeling about White....the last position up for grabs in a back three lacks composure.
I think there was LOTS to be happy about today, but in not long enough periods.
If Everton can keep their Brazilian, I think them real CL possibilities.
Its been a hard start, but a good show against Palarse, and we'll all be chilled again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A lot of them should be ‘supporting’ Liverpool, Man City it Chelsea. We’ve played 2 of the top 4, another who have won 7/7 and look class and smashed the one game against someone of a similar standard and been fantastic. We’ve looked class in 3/4 league games, playing lovely passing football. But it’s not enough to just enjoy being in the prem supporting a team trying to play the right way for some - mind blowing!

Also this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I watched the game and thought they dealt with an excellent Everton side who were pressing and putting the lads under pressure. It wasn't just raining, it was a constant barrage, and as their press was done with real quality, defenders are always under the cosh.
The whole league seems to be running to form in terms of home advantage despite there being no fans, so this result was always on the cards.
I thought Biss played well, and young Lamptey looked like a tired kid, and having his recent spell of excellent form and work-rate catch up with him.
Dunk has been off his best so far this season, but he's class and will come good - similar feeling about White....the last position up for grabs in a back three lacks composure.
I think there was LOTS to be happy about today, but in not long enough periods.
If Everton can keep their Brazilian, I think them real CL possibilities.
Its been a hard start, but a good show against Palarse, and we'll all be chilled again.

Although Richarlison is Brazilian, pretty sure you meant a Colombian (James). But agree with what you say - seen us play far worse than today - at least we gave it a go and played great last 20 mins. Struggled in horrible conditions, unlike them for the main, and some sloppy mistakes and poor defending BUT it happens and as fans we need to accept it when it does better than some on here imo...

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Although Richarlison is Brazilian, pretty sure you meant a Colombian (James). But agree with what you say - seen us play far worse than today - at least we gave it a go and played great last 20 mins. Struggled in horrible conditions, unlike them for the main, and some sloppy mistakes and poor defending BUT it happens and as fans we need to accept it when it does better than some on here imo...

No I did mean Richarlson...Barca have been sniffing since Christmas.
Richarlson, Calvert-Lewis and James....thats what they were up against.
The highlights don't do their attack justice. CL, real possibility for them. Brighton had periods of real cohesion. I'm happy that we've improved in the shutdown.
Need some quality to assist Maupay, but that's been discussed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Every club‘s fan forum is full of infighting and despair after a defeat. Those who think it’s wrong to be fed up and whinge, those who get it off their chest.

My perception is that those who talk about and still reference Priestfield or Withdean are an increasingly tiny minority. NSC is not representative.

The rest, the vast majority, think of us as a PL/Championship club, our real potential being fulfilled, with this huge catchment area all to ourselves, with a great owner.

The fanbase has evolved. Over the last three years countless bitchy and schadenfreude NSC threads and posts about other clubs. If it’s not Leeds, it’s others. Their’s is super-fuelled because they’re incredibly unpopular in football, past violence and homophobia. The danger of boasting and mocking on NSC or anywhere, is that can come back to bite you. If Leeds do well this season and beat us, that’s going to be painful for quite few people who’ve been so certain this year that Leeds will crash and burn.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Every club‘s fan forum is full of infighting and despair after a defeat. Those who think it’s wrong to be fed up and whinge, those who get it off their chest.

My perception is that those who talk about and still reference Priestfield or Withdean are an increasingly tiny minority. NSC is not representative.

The rest, the vast majority, think of us as a PL/Championship club, our real potential being fulfilled, with this huge catchment area all to ourselves, with a great owner.

The fanbase has evolved. Over the last three years countless bitchy and schadenfreude NSC threads and posts about other clubs. If it’s not Leeds, it’s others. Their’s is super-fuelled because they’re incredibly unpopular in football, past violence and homophobia. The danger of boasting and mocking on NSC or anywhere, is that can come back to bite you. If Leeds do well this season and beat us, that’s going to be painful for quite few people who’ve been so certain this year that Leeds will crash and burn.

To be fair, you're probably right. I should have made the fact that I know our fanbase is probably par for the course more obvious in my first post. I guess I suffer from a less severe example of the Goldstone/Priestfield problem I posted about. I'm still thinking about when we were at Withdean and our fanbase all pulled in one direction (in general) because we had to, just to keep the club alive. Becoming a bigger, more successful club is always going to attract more people you disagree with, simply by the laws of probability.

Although as I've said, my view is incredibly skewed by the fact I used a forum (footballfourms.net) where our fanbase included Spence, Perseus, Sir Albion & Steve Foster advertising his prediction league. When you consider that, it's no f*cking surprise I'm used to other fanbases f*cking hating ours. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here