Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Everton Loss

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Seen way too much negativity about how terrible we were. However, maybe we just played a very good team who're gonna be right up there this season. I think we played okay, kept possession well, created chances, scored a few goals which a lot of teams won't do at Goodison this season.

I do agree defensively we need to improve corners and freekicks are serious worries a long with the fact we concede straight after scoring. But the truth is we've just been beaten by the better side and the only side we've played in the league this season that have been genuinely better than us. Despite that we had just as many shots as they did and far more of the ball. It's a long term project and there will be games like this.

Let's not overreact it's a long season there is plenty to be positive about and hopefully we can move forward and cut out silly mistakes. Some of yous need to look at the bigger picture not just the fact we've conceded sloppy goals and lost today it wasn't too long ago we bashed Newcastle and people were getting too carried away a club like us will have good days and bad days because ultimately we're still in transition and it takes time.

Let's just see where we're at after at-least 12 games before writing us off as " relegation fodder ".

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think today’s disappointment is more to do with our consistent poor defending rather than getting beaten by a red hot Everton team. We’re showing a real inability to defend set pieces and crosses, we don’t have the firepower to win shootouts.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We played well going forward but so open on the counter due to having both wing backs and a centre back repeatedly in advanced positions when the opposition breaks. Set pieces are a mess at both ends.

But still we looked threatening, as we have all season. A lot of good positions and opportunities. We need more shots from midfield; Alzate looks terrified to take a shot but kept finding himself in space on the edge of the area. Bissouma finally took a shot and look what happened.

There are positives to take, and maybe we shouldnt be surprised that our young side are a bit naive. Lallana in next match please.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I think today’s disappointment is more to do with our consistent poor defending rather than getting beaten by a red hot Everton team. We’re showing a real inability to defend set pieces and crosses, we don’t have the firepower to win shootouts.

Completely agree, however I would say this is the only game we've lost a shoutout so to speak. Chelsea loss was a penalty, a screamer and a heavy deflection. Man Utd loss was a penalty after full time in a game we deserved far more from. The glaring defensive frailties will surely be the subject of the training sessions from now on. Especially as you mention crosses in the box. If we put that right what other weaknesses do we have?

The defence will improve there is a lot of young players in this team like Lamptey, Alzate and White who have been thrown in the deep end against genuinely world class players.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Completely agree, however I would say this is the only game we've lost a shoutout so to speak. Chelsea loss was a penalty, a screamer and a heavy deflection. Man Utd loss was a penalty after full time in a game we deserved far more from. The glaring defensive frailties will surely be the subject of the training sessions from now on. Especially as you mention crosses in the box. If we put that right what other weaknesses do we have?

The defence will improve there is a lot of young players in this team like Lamptey, Alzate and White who have been thrown in the deep end against genuinely world class players.

Balanced post :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not a least bit worried, but I understand that a lot of people are not intelligent enough to see beyond results. Others get too hot-headed to think properly for some time after a game is lost (or won).

Some of us see it for what it is: Chelsea, Manchester United and a Everton side very likely going to end up in the top six. Two great performances from these rough games is a good sign and this with a young squad that will improve rather rapidly. Five winable games coming up, similar results from those and its a difficult situation but as for now, no reason to panic.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Good post.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm not a least bit worried, but I understand that a lot of people are not intelligent enough to see beyond results. Others get too hot-headed to think properly for some time after a game is lost (or won).

Some of us see it for what it is: Chelsea, Manchester United and a Everton side very likely going to end up in the top six. Two great performances from these rough games is a good sign and this with a young squad that will improve rather rapidly. Five winable games coming up, similar results from those and its a difficult situation but as for now, no reason to panic.

Wow. Pontificate much? You post like a Guardian journalist writes, badly with a massive dose of arrogance.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We haven't been good at defending the counter ever since we got promoted. Under Hughton, and still today, defenders get drawn towards the guy with the ball and towards the goal line, and we are finished off with cutbacks to a guy in acres of space in the middle of the box. Happened time and time again for several seasons.

James first Webster is virtually on top of Ryan. If he could just have picked up their player and stayed with him it could be different, as both White and Dunk are going for the ball and to intercept the cross. I expect it is very hard to do, but instead of being drawn to the ball, if the oppositions free players could be picked up and marked instead we wouldn't concede so many on the counter

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Condescending ****! Your not worried because you are not a BHA fan your a Potter fan!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wow. Pontificate much? You post like a Guardian journalist writes, badly with a massive dose of arrogance.

Poor losers are pathetic and deserve my arrogance. People who throw their rackets when losing at table tennis, people who gets sad or angry when you beat them in some video game, people who thinks every loss for their favorite teams means certain relegation... well, I might be arrogant when saying that these people are not very clever and/or too emotional, but am I wrong?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Seen way too much negativity about how terrible we were. However, maybe we just played a very good team who're gonna be right up there this season. I think we played okay, kept possession well, created chances, scored a few goals which a lot of teams won't do at Goodison this season.

I do agree defensively we need to improve corners and freekicks are serious worries a long with the fact we concede straight after scoring. But the truth is we've just been beaten by the better side and the only side we've played in the league this season that have been genuinely better than us. Despite that we had just as many shots as they did and far more of the ball. It's a long term project and there will be games like this.

Let's not overreact it's a long season there is plenty to be positive about and hopefully we can move forward and cut out silly mistakes. Some of yous need to look at the bigger picture not just the fact we've conceded sloppy goals and lost today it wasn't too long ago we bashed Newcastle and people were getting too carried away a club like us will have good days and bad days because ultimately we're still in transition and it takes time.

Let's just see where we're at after at-least 12 games before writing us off as " relegation fodder ".

Sorry? Kept possession well? Are you serious?

We had 87 misplaced passes today, and 137 possession give-aways. In 90 minutes. It was almost a club record on both counts. How on earth does that constitute “keeping possession well”?!

Jimmy Grimble

Look mate, often I agree with you, but your post shows a real naivety of the Premier League.

If we don’t win against Palace, the pressure is seriously on.

It’s unfortunate but it’s true. Potter will have to change tact again and set up more defensively. Just like last season when things got tough.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I thought we were horrific today in the key moments.

I can’t recall us being worse at defending & taking set-pieces in one match.

We were punished on the break too as usual.

Potter should have shifted his team to match the conditions and the way Everton play.

However, I can see past one bad performance. I actually think we’ll win 5 of our next 4 games. Potter has the time to prepare and our luck must change.

I’d just love us to get another Striker before Monday though, I thought we were crying out for a big man to put Pickford under pressure.

Nicky Rust Fan Club

Sep 26, 2020
Perth, Australia
I prefer last seasons back four to this seasons three.

To me it looks like our opponents are exploiting the space between wing back and outside centre defender.

I feel sorry for Webster who looks to be struggling on the left and i'd like to see him move to the centre of the three with lewis on the left or replaced by Burn who we know can play left.

Ben White now knows what premier league football is all about. We'll see how he stands up to it.

I hope Potter can sort this out because 10 goals conceded in four games suggests that the current tactic of a back three isn't working.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Sorry? Kept possession well? Are you serious?

We had 87 misplaced passes today, and 137 possession give-aways. In 90 minutes. It was almost a club record on both counts. How on earth does that constitute “keeping possession well”?!

We had 60 percent of the ball against a team featuring some of the best players in the league. There were sloppy moments as stated in the post however with young players especially they will be naïve and make mistakes. They did genuinely play nice football at times and keep possession well, it's just the mistakes have taken any focus off that. Everton are genuinely quality with one of the best managers of all time, it was always going to be a tough one today.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We have a young and relatively inexperienced side. We CANNOT expect them to produce great performances every week, there will be off days and mistakes. But the promise is obvious and exciting and the good moments becoming more and more frequent, the overall performances improving. Every 90 minutes each individual plays is 90 minutes more experience, and within the framework of a side that is good enough to stay up, that's very exciting indeed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Look mate, often I agree with you, but your post shows a real naivety of the Premier League.

If we don’t win against Palace, the pressure is seriously on.

It’s unfortunate but it’s true. Potter will have to change tact again and set up more defensively. Just like last season when things got tough.

I'm not naive. Yes, losing against CP would be bad, but not the end of the world. Plenty of teams have recovered perfectly well after a poor start over the years. Wolves had 4 points after 6 games last year and ended up doing fine. Saints looked dead after 10 games but did a nice recovery. Situation looked difficult for Brighton in March, but in the end it went fine anyway. There is no reason to be worried.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought we were horrific today in the key moments.

I can’t recall us being worse at defending & taking set-pieces in one match.

We were punished on the break too as usual.

Potter should have shifted his team to match the conditions and the way Everton play.

However, I can see past one bad performance. I actually think we’ll win 5 of our next 4 games. Potter has the time to prepare and our luck must change.

I’d just love us to get another Striker before Monday though, I thought we were crying out for a big man to put Pickford under pressure.

Well said and spot on for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here