Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Short corners ....?!!!!!!

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
What on earth was that all about today?!

Double digit corner count and only 2 proper corners.

All these short corners ended up forcing us back to the GK or getting hit on counter.

Crazy tactic time and time again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Agreed - really, really odd. As Steve Mac was saying, especially on a day like today - PUT IT IN THE MIXER - and to stubbornly keep doing it was so frustrating. Need to stop this straight away - the odd one is fine, but our game management was poor today. March’s free kick give away a prime example (though he played well).

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
it was absolutely f***ing dumbfounding. probably what annoyed me most today. we were even doing it at 4-1 down after it hadn't been working all day.

described by the commentators as 'criminal'. and it was. back to the drawing board please, graham.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’d actually like someone like Brian Owen to ask Potter this question because I think it’s relevant. The free kick we had in the first half down their right was the worst though. I wouldn’t mind if I could see what it was they were trying to do.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That was the biggest crime of the day.

I will defend Potter and these players all day long but to constantly play those short balls at set pieces was just mystifying. Whoever’s idea it was to continue doing that really needs to think again.

As he showed with Maupay’s goal, Pickford is like Joe Hart these days, really poor. In dreadful conditions he was there for the taking. We totally wasted all those opportunities.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Ridiculous, especially in the wet conditions and Pickford was looking his usual dodgy self. So frustrating watching the ball being passed further and further back. Dunk and Webster needn’t bother going up for the corners. And as for our defending of set pieces, we need to sort it out or we’re playing catch up every game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

Do you think that playing short corners this game was without reason?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's several reasons. I'm not a fan of doing it every time though.

If there's any decent football journalist in the UK, perhaps someone is going to ask GP about it.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This is when armchair fans fail to realise the tactical/data analysis side of the game. Similar to when people use to moan about keeping everyone back when defending corners.

I agree with your overall point but the commentators also pointed at that since the beginning of last season Everton have conceded more goals from set pieces than any team in the PL.

Now that might have been mostly from short corners like we tried I don’t know, but if not then it does seem rather strange.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

it would be interesting to what the reason was, as outwardly it certainly didn’t seem to gain or produce anything

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne

Yes it has a place, yet everytime the ball was crossed in, they panicked, it was more likely they would score own goals. It works sometimes, but the fact we kept doing it was extremely frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

KoreanSeagull

Dec 1, 2019
Not North
Maybe Potter was thinking normal attacking has better chance of a goal than set pieces.

At second half Webster didn't let go of the ball for a corner and made a pass towards outside the box, if my memory is correct.

But it was rainy, windy, we had 3 centre backs, pickford was unstable.. Couldn't we just whip it in?

나의 LGM-G600L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
it would be interesting to what the reason was, as outwardly it certainly didn’t seem to gain or produce anything

Must have come from video analysis of Everton defending Corners but it clearly wasn't working today and a Plan B should have been adopted. They weren't the reason we lost of course, that happened at the opposite end of the Pitch...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
With all the big players up waiting for the ball into the middle and then played short and ending almost back to the keeper each time as we play bcakwards ... Awful

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Must have come from video analysis of Everton defending Corners but it clearly wasn't working today and a Plan B should have been adopted. They weren't the reason we lost of course, that happened at the opposite end of the Pitch...

so to repeatedly keep trying the same thing over and over when anyone could see how ineffectual it was is just naivety.

It’s also been really clear that their Pickford has been so dodgy of late fumbling more than he holds, and that was easily seen again today, yet we fail to exploit an analysis playing out in front of our eyes!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe Potter was thinking normal attacking has better chance of a goal than set pieces.

At second half Webster didn't let go of the ball for a corner and made a pass towards outside the box, if my memory is correct.

But it was rainy, windy, we had 3 centre backs, pickford was unstable.. Couldn't we just whip it in?

나의 LGM-G600L 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Just imagine how good at set pieces we could be if we had good quality headers of the ball in the club.

Oh for someone like Watford's Glenn Murray or Celtics Shane Duffy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here