Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BIG DAN BURN and a flat back four

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Please, please GP PLEASE revert to a system that works...

Ben White was shot today, shot... Rashford destroyed him last week, and he was poor again midweek... he needs resting and protecting.

I want DB back in the team after the break. Sure, he’s not perfect BUT he is being missed. Massively imho.

Ooh this isn’t anti Potter (not really) rant, i’m just expressing an opinion based on the fact that DB impressed me last season... I feel for him being dropped for a player with zero proven PL pedigree.

Perhaps believing the hype was a tad optimistic.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And to think that last week folk were crowing after match about the wing-back system and the performances.

I wonder who can set the record for changing their mind most in a season ?

The system is fine, excepting that on this occasion it failed. But not because of the system itself but individual error. All Ryan had to do today was pick the ball out the net.

Mainly because Everton scored at every decent opportunity.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Yes, that’ll do... I’d be happy to see Veltman play centrally for Webster too... it’s time to rotate and try for something resembling solidity.
I'd actually say Veltman for Dunk TBH

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
And to think that last week folk were crowing after match about the wing-back system and the performances.

The system is fine, excepting that on this occasion it failed. But not because of the system itself but individual error. All Ryan had to do today was pick the ball out the net.

Personally i’ve been rather cautious re our WB system because if your CMs fail to cover you can be so easily undone... good coaches know this, and today... guess what...?

It can be brilliant, but it has serious weaknesses against very good teams, hence our inability to keep out Chelsea, Man Utd and now a resurgent Everton... today called for a four four two. Solidity without sacrificing too much fluidity.

With confidence possibly now an issue, a call to revert to a more solid looking or dependable shape isn’t too far fetched... surely ?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
We looked rubbish with a flat back 4 against United in the cup. I’d rather stick with the back 3 personally :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Please, please GP PLEASE revert to a system that works...
Hi
Ben White was shot today, shot... Rashford destroyed him last week, and he was poor again midweek... he needs resting and protecting.

I want DB back in the team after the break. Sure, he’s not perfect BUT he is being missed. Massively imho.

Ooh this isn’t anti Potter (not really) rant, i’m just expressing an opinion based on the fact that DB impressed me last season... I feel for him being dropped for a player with zero proven PL pedigree.

Perhaps believing the hype was a tad optimistic.

Away at top 6-8, back 4 for sure. Home to WBA Fulham, stick with the 3.

White shouldn't be scapegoated, he's playing at a high level in a new system and new position. Burn is not the answer and was shit midweek.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Away at top 6-8, back 4 for sure. Home to WBA Fulham, stick with the 3.

White shouldn't be scapegoated, he's playing at a high level in a new system. Burn is not the answer and was shit midweek.

I agree re shape, but re DB... he’s awkward in a back three, not a back four... also he might be feeling a bit miffed, I would. I think his performance came about from a lack of game time... he needs to be playing regularly, he’s not an in and out player, he’s a rolls Royce who purrs when run regularly! Lol.

He hasn’t gone from quiet revelation to shit overnight... I have to disagree.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Seems to have happened in all our games - oppo has scored with most of their shots on target. Frustrating

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This thread needs a poll.
I am happy with a back 5 but clearly it needs work, particularly when the wing backs are nowhere to be seen when the opposition breaks. Lack of application from the centre backs defending set pieces and crosses won’t be improved by switching to a back 4.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I agree re shape, but re DB... he’s awkward in a back three, not a back four... also he might be feeling a bit miffed, I would. I think his performance came about from a lack of game time... he needs to be playing regularly, he’s not an in and out player, he’s a rolls Royce who purrs when run regularly! Lol.

He hasn’t gone from quiet revelation to shit overnight... I have to disagree.

I have to say I disagree based on the showing against United in the Cup. BDB looked far better in the first half than he did when he played at LB.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This thread needs a poll.
I am happy with a back 5 but clearly it needs work, particularly when the wing backs are nowhere to be seen when the opposition breaks. Lack of application from the centre backs defending set pieces and crosses won’t be improved by switching to a back 4.

I'd much rather 451 away at top teams, with some attacking midfielders in there.

343, 352 is just to risky and how many points lost will it take to refine?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
No one was calling for this vs Newcastle and Man United.

Issue today was a lack of control in midfield and poor defending from the CBs. I don’t see how taking 1 away will improve the back line. Issue was how well Everton played playing through and between our midfield and defence.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
It depends what system we're playing against. Everton had a 3 man midfield today & that was too much for alzate & biss. If we had been flexible & gone 4 4 2 or 4 5 1 then maybe we would have controlled the midfield

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Pretty sure we played with a flat back 4 for the second half today and looked much less threatening. Once Veltman came on, Webster went over to left back with Solly pushing forward into midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here