Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] R I P Frank Windsor

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
One of the stars of Z Cars and Softly Softly. Two series that changed British Police TV from the the Dixon Of Dock Green sleepy image of Policing to a more gritty style.
Incidentally early outside scenes for Z Cars were filmed in Crawley to represent Newtown on Merseyside.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
One of the stars of Z Cars and Softly Softly. Two series that changed British Police TV from the the Dixon Of Dock Green sleepy image of Policing to a more gritty style.
Incidentally early outside scenes for Z Cars were filmed in Crawley to represent Newtown on Merseyside.

I'm amazed he was still alive, his mucker Stratford Johns departed to the great Nick in the Sky years ago!

el punal

RIP, an acting life fulfilled.
I remember the tail end of Softly, Softly on TV when I was very young.

I must be ahead of you age-wise! I remember Doxon of Dick Green (evening all!). I clearly remember watching the first episode of Z Cars back in 1961/62ish. The main characters were Detective Inspector Barlow (Stratford Johns), Detective Sergeant Watt (Frank Windsor) and P.C.Fancy Smith (Brian Blessed - when he was less shouty), then other well known faces too - Colin Welland, James Ellis, Jeremy Kemp and many more.

An immortal theme music intro too. Played at Goodison Park and Vicarage Road when the teams come out.

Altogether now - “BD to Z Victor 1, over.” :cheers:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very little (if any!) Z Cars footage around now - it was actually played out live to air in the studio; no recording! Must have been nerve-wracking!

Iconic telly from my early teens. RIP Mr. Windsor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I must be ahead of you age-wise! I remember Doxon of Dick Green (evening all!). I clearly remember watching the first episode of Z Cars back in 1961/62ish. The main characters were Detective Inspector Barlow (Stratford Johns), Detective Sergeant Watt (Frank Windsor) and P.C.Fancy Smith (Brian Blessed - when he was less shouty), then other well known faces too - Colin Welland, James Ellis, Jeremy Kemp and many more.

An immortal theme music intro too. Played at Goodison Park and Vicarage Road when the teams come out.

Altogether now - “BD to Z Victor 1, over.” :cheers:

My first TV memory is as a toddler hiding behind the settee to this :lolol:

I can remember in the early 70’s Barlow At Large, Z Cars, Softly Softly ..... on Monday evenings rings a bell .... is that right? Before having to go to bed at say 8ish, envious of my older brothers who had it all.

Dixon of Dock Green was repeated into the late 70’s, as I remember getting back from yet another Goldstone win under Taylor or Mullery, and enjoying that prog.

Happy days.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Of course RIP Frank Windsor but don’t go calling Dixon of Dock Green sleepy.
George Dixon died in The Blue Lamp (Dirk bloody Bogarde) but came back for the show. That’s gritty.

I was a Softly Softly fan but didn’t care for Z Cars.

el punal

Very little (if any!) Z Cars footage around now - it was actually played out live to air in the studio; no recording! Must have been nerve-wracking!

Iconic telly from my early teens. RIP Mr. Windsor.

I read somewhere that the Z Cars were yellow because white was too reflective or such like in the good old days of black and white TV. Also, there were no windscreens, probably for the same reason. I believe there was one scene where the driver’s hand magically went through the glass - oops!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Thanks for that. Never seen that first episode before - but WTF - Rugby League? Some effete southerner in the production team trying toi include a bit of gritty northern realism?
Rugby League? Who the fvck in the 1950s/60s in Liverpool gave a flying fvck for fvcking Rugby League? You can answer that with one word!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks for that. Never seen that first episode before - but WTF - Rugby League? Some effete southerner in the production team trying toi include a bit of gritty northern realism?
Rugby League? Who the fvck in the 1950s/60s in Liverpool gave a flying fvck for fvcking Rugby League? You can answer that with one word!

You're way out with this.

Z Cars wasn't set in Liverpool, it was set in Newtown - which was based on Kirkby in Merseyside. And Kirkby is just a few miles from St Helens and Huyton, both of which had professional rugby league teams (in fact, St Helens was a pretty big team, they'd won the Championship just a couple of years before.

And it's only about a dozen miles from Wigan, who were the biggest rugby league team then,

Liverpool itself is definitely a football city but the outlying towns are well into their rugby league.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Two words:

Eddie Waring!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're way out with this.

Z Cars wasn't set in Liverpool, it was set in Newtown - which was based on Kirkby in Merseyside. And Kirkby is just a few miles from St Helens and Huyton, both of which had professional rugby league teams (in fact, St Helens was a pretty big team, they'd won the Championship just a couple of years before.

And it's only about a dozen miles from Wigan, who were the biggest rugby league team then,

Liverpool itself is definitely a football city but the outlying towns are well into their rugby league.
It was set in Newtown - which was literally a new town, like Skelmersdale and Speke, built to replace the slums and bomb damaged houses of Liverpool, and re-house their inhabitants. Pure scouse, much more culturally linked to Liverpool than nearby St. Helens.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Used to enjoy Z cars and many years later was lucky enough to work with Douglas Fielding ( aka PC Quilley ) who also sadly passed away last year and was a proper gent .

R.I.P

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Different times. Both cops smoking at 3:45 in PT 1 and they are talking about topping a suspect who had confessed to murdering a policeman. This must have been shot just before the suspension of the death penalty in this country.

RIP Frank (I also thought you had already left us).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here